JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #3,481 of 3,787
Quote:

Btw, JHA advertise on their website that their JH16 /JH-3A can hit the 23KHz and they seem to be very proud of it... not sure why would someone care if the audible FR is limited to 20KHz. Not to mention that almost anyone older than 20 can't hear beyond 17-17.5 KHz and this decreases as we age let alone the fact that the spectrum is capped at 22KHz for Flac.

Woah hey there buddy, not everyone's hearing is the same.  My ears can hear a pin drop a mile away, and I can hear silent dog whistles.  My ears have benefitted from generations of ninja warfare --in the dark!  I can hear from 1hz to 100khz!

Anyway its a shame that you couldn't enjoy your jh16's.  Mine are being built right now, and it's just a bummer every time I hear someone that doesn't necessarily like the jh16, kinda kills my expectations lol.

May 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #3,482 of 3,787
Quote:

Anyway its a shame that you couldn't enjoy your jh16's.  Mine are being built right now, and it's just a bummer every time I hear someone that doesn't necessarily like the jh16, kinda kills my expectations lol.

It depends on what you had before. I tried dozens of IEMs and headphones.

It's always better to have low expectations and get surprised than to have high expectations and get disappointed. It's psychological.

May 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3,483 of 3,787
Well, I'll be pleased as long as it can handle the JDS c5 bass boost, as well as exceed the xba 40
etysmile.gif

May 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #3,485 of 3,787
Quote:

Actually I made sure I'm not going nuts, there are 3 duals, each connected to a bore. To be dead honest, I am not caring that much anymore.

After spending a week trying almost every genre of music and setup combination, I am afraid to say that the sound signature is not my taste. I might be very picky and nag a lot I know, but I am not the type of people who trick their mind to justify the price tag. The sound is good, it's really good but nothing close to what I was expecting. For the same price an over the ear sounds definitely better.

Yeah you're gonna talk about portability but I'd rather carry an over the ear than an IEM with portable amp. The JH16 ( probably 13 as well ) depends on the source in an annoying way.I bet they will not sound the same with a 64" cable...  I 'm still in my late 20's and have probably very good ears, actually I started learning and playing music, piano specifically, since I was 8 which must have helped me picking all the details in a track but sorry I tried to like the JH's as much as I paid and failed.

Un-amped, they are not for classical, jazz, blues, opera whatsoever.. not at all.

Call me what you want, but I'm gonna have the courage to say that the Shure SE535.... do sound better, at least from the same phone output and with the mentioned music genre. This is purely subjective I know but...

I'll get the Heir 8 and see how things will go.

Btw, JHA advertise on their website that their JH16 /JH-3A can hit the 23KHz and they seem to be very proud of it... not sure why would someone care if the audible FR is limited to 20KHz. Not to mention that almost anyone older than 20 can't hear beyond 17-17.5 KHz and this decreases as we age let alone the fact that the spectrum is capped at 22KHz for Flac.

I am starting to believe that the audiophile world has become an ideal place for marketing hypes... we'll see.

Hmm so you really enjoy the SE535s? Are you into mid-centric and intimate sound signatures? The 334 may be what you want. But the bass could be an issue if you don't like slow decaying bass. It's also quite thick. But many who like the SE535s like the 334s. You may want to keep that as an option. The 8As are also really good. Lots of bass, generally well controlled, a little slower for a BA but faster than the 334s bass decay. Treble is silky silky smooth. I've never heard and IEM with smoother treble than the 8A. The vocals are on the neutral side with the mids being slightly more upfront. A wide sound stage with decent depth (but depth is not its song suite).

May 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #3,486 of 3,787
Quote:
Hmm so you really enjoy the SE535s? Are you into mid-centric and intimate sound signatures? The 334 may be what you want. But the bass could be an issue if you don't like slow decaying bass. It's also quite thick. But many who like the SE535s like the 334s. You may want to keep that as an option. The 8As are also really good. Lots of bass, generally well controlled, a little slower for a BA but faster than the 334s bass decay. Treble is silky silky smooth. I've never heard and IEM with smoother treble than the 8A. The vocals are on the neutral side with the mids being slightly more upfront. A wide sound stage with decent depth (but that is not its song suite).

Actually I wasn't a fan of the mid-centric signature but I learned to appreciate it. It doesn't suit all genre of music but it's perfect for blues and jazz. It does not lack bass at all. I went to CIEM because I was sick of cleaning and replacing foam tips. The JH16's are better when amped but I listen 70% of the time to music at work and on mobile.

The JH16's will distort at high volume, the Shure no matter how loud the sound is does not. Try blocking the bores and put some loud music and your ear on the faceplate, the bass driver will rattle... that never happened to my 535.  

May 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #3,487 of 3,787
I have no issues with that what so ever. We like what we like.

You don't however, own 13s so you should likely defer that reference. They are different phones with different parts and sig by intent. One doesn't reflect on the other, good or bad. I was just enjoying my 13s with my unamped Ipod touch, no problem. Better than my se530s ever sounded on it. They are revealing of source but not in a  bad way. I generally agree than open cans are preferred to in-ears and speakers to open cans but I get all I need from my particular in-ears. Sorry to hear it's not working out for you. I think many buy the 16 as a flagship product and it's not. It shares that distinction with the 13. If you're not on a loud stage or genuine bass head you'd be better off with the 13. It's bass is already robust.

May 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #3,488 of 3,787
Quote:
I have no issues with that what so ever. We like what we like.

You don't however, own 13s so you should likely defer that reference. They are different phones with different parts and sig by intent. One doesn't reflect on the other, good or bad. I was just enjoying my 13s with my unamped Ipod touch, no problem. Better than my se530s ever sounded on it. They are revealing of source but not in a  bad way. I generally agree than open cans are preferred to in-ears and speakers to open cans but I get all I need from my particular in-ears. Sorry to hear it's not working out for you. I think many buy the 16 as a flagship product and it's not. It shares that distinction with the 13. If you're not on a loud stage or genuine bass head you'd be better off with the 13. It's bass is already robust.

No problem mate, your help has always been appreciated. I found a thread posted by somehow who initially described the same thing I experienced :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/558373/just-received-my-jh16-my-honest-impressions-truth-inside

May 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,489 of 3,787
 I rechecked your pics and there are 8 drivers. This is your 2 (twfk derivative) mids plus 2tiny  tweets Note that they are perpendicular in placement

to the four woofers. 4 seperate sets of dual siamesed drivers.

In the below pic, what you think is a mid is actually the second bass pair and what you have listed as dual tweeters is actually dual mids plus dual tweets.

Doesn't help with your unfortunate conundrum but JH was definitely not misleading you or pulling drivers..

May 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #3,490 of 3,787
Not a problem anymore, be it 6 or 8 drivers, the outcome hasn't changed. I started doubting my ears but run a random listening test on the internet and looks like I still have good ones 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #3,491 of 3,787
You'll love them, I've got mine on Headstage Arrow 3G, gonna build a hybrid cable for it soon, I'm in love.
Quote:
Well, I'll be pleased as long as it can handle the JDS c5 bass boost, as well as exceed the xba 40
etysmile.gif

May 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #3,492 of 3,787
I love my JH16's. The fit is great and they did a nice job on the artwork. They are a nice counterpoint to my ACS Custom T1's which are decidedly neutral.

May 2, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #3,493 of 3,787
Quote:
I love my JH16's. The fit is great and they did a nice job on the artwork. They are a nice counterpoint to my ACS Custom T1's which are decidedly neutral.

Yeah, the artwork. One of the main reason I get CIEMs.

May 2, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #3,494 of 3,787
Quote:
The JH16's will distort at high volume, the Shure no matter how loud the sound is does not. Try blocking the bores and put some loud music and your ear on the faceplate, the bass driver will rattle... that never happened to my 535.  

Never had that happen myself - how loud are you listening?

Quote:
Hmm so you really enjoy the SE535s? Are you into mid-centric and intimate sound signatures? The 334 may be what you want. But the bass could be an issue if you don't like slow decaying bass. It's also quite thick. But many who like the SE535s like the 334s. You may want to keep that as an option. The 8As are also really good. Lots of bass, generally well controlled, a little slower for a BA but faster than the 334s bass decay. Treble is silky silky smooth. I've never heard and IEM with smoother treble than the 8A. The vocals are on the neutral side with the mids being slightly more upfront. A wide sound stage with decent depth (but depth is not its song suite).

I'd agree with most of your description of the 8.A...but I find that the mids are recessed and at times very difficult to hear what is going on, especially if there is a lot going on either side of the mids.

@Lee730, @Longbowbbs - just curious to understand what you mean by Neutral ?

May 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #3,495 of 3,787
Quote:

@Lee730, @Longbowbbs - just curious to understand what you mean by Neutral ?

Compared the the JH16's with their 4 low end drivers, there is no particular emphasis on a frequency level. When I am out and about I love the JH16's and the additional low end punch. However, when I am in a quiet place and doing critical listening, the T1's are a nice counterpoint to the JH16's. Smoother frequency response is sometimes the right choice for the mood or the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back