JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #436 of 2,681
yeah the DSP and included XO must be the most effective weapon here, along with the amp section, because the low power CS chip they are using (I think its the one, capabilities seem to match well) only has 110db from its line outs and less from ADC input, this is OK but compared to the dacs this thing supposedly gives the smackdown to (up to 140db), its actually just OK..... The chip has integrated 4 in and 6 out, integrated 2 channel HP amp,  6 channel line-out (voltage mode) (capable of balanced for 6 channels; just capable of mind you and not in use here) integrated spdif receiver, pass-through and digital volume control. thats some pretty serious tricks from a single (not overly expensive) chip. i'm guessing the balanced outs are being used, but summed down to SE out gaining the extra little bit of DNR and CMMR. although the single ended line outs are pseudo differential as well

pretty cool tech I must say, wonder when/if there will be a more developed device in the same family soon (this chip is quite new). so theoretically, with a supporting power supply, 3 x OPA1632 and regulators (all inputs between 3v3 and 5v for the chip and  +/-9vdc should do for the opamps, though this ^^ particular one performs better with +/-15 as in the buffalo) this chip could do the lot pretty much all by itself, can take coaxial spdif (add optical receiver needed for toslink) or analogue signal directly (ADC), convert to audio with internal dacs, control the volume and crossover processing with onboard DSP and perform IV conversion internally, then output from its headamp (no balanced outs on headamp output unfortunately) or multiple line outs

the tricky bit (and where the JME comes in = Jerry/Matt/Entity) is the MCU and filter coefficients for tuning the XO and how they relate to the individual ear canal (whats left of it after the monitor is inserted and the air cavity in the monitor plus bone conduction) plus JH16 and its drivers own FR characteristics. the eval board is available with all of this set up and ready for tweaking using a HDA connection to the computer, when/if I go for this thing, it would be very tempting to get the eval board and construct a fully blown 6 channel home amp, perhaps with some of the fine kits from erno borbely (would take these in preference to the b22 personally, but B22 would work a treat also)

definitely waiting in the wings for a bit after initial release, though if there are any facebook specials I might be convinced to pull out the already tortured, resentful and tattered wallet

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #437 of 2,681
Quote:

Secondly about discount. It seems now that nobody thinks they have got a great deal unless they get a discount. Looking at the large amount of hand crafting, R&D and care and attention gone into this product. Looking at the reputation one is getting with it I truly would say that at full price one is getting something of a bargain!

Just so I don't get burned at the stake, let me clarify my position.

JHA is a ground breaking innovating company who has great success with or without including Jerry's time with Ultimate Ears.
But if you compare them with small companies like Headamp, Ray Samuels Audio, Head-Direct, Woo Audio, TTVJ, etc. and all of the other companies we are fortunate to have in our unique circle, whenever one of those companies announce a new product and start taking pre-orders, they never ask for money until the product is ready to ship. Ray, Todd, Justin, and Jack are 1-man shows. 

I don't want to be misunderstood here, but it's mostly been the case that the first hundred or so people who have ordered sight unseen, always have gotten a pre-order discount.

I specifically said that they could take a non-refundable $100 as a deposit. When they say that they are ready to make yours, then you 
pay. This way, there is no money lost on their part. I wasn't asking for anything that wasn't offered at last years's CJ where people willing
to take a chance on an unproven product, were give $200 off for their loyalty. Loyalty is another thing. If a customer already has invested in one of your products, then they are considered a repeat customer, and that stands for something. Repeat customers, and word of mouth, are what makes or breaks a company.

I have a great deal of admiration and respect for Jerry and Co. I just think the early adapters could have been given a slight break. The other thing that I think could have been done better is with the shipping. If you are going to wait 3 or 4 months to receive your product,
then I think that it is silly, to pay $35 for UPS Next Day Air. I would have preferred to pay $12, and have them send it via Priority Mail, or FedEx ground. $35 is a lot of money for something that weighs less than a pound.

Also, $50 for the artwork. Most people don't order their customs plain. I feel that should have been layered into the price. This is 
what I meant by nickel and dime-ing.

Last year, I sent in my UE-10's to be used to make a mold instead of the impression. I was assured by Brittany that they would take care of my "babies". Well, it ended up, that my UE-10's were mailed back to the wrong person, and I was fortunate that the recipient was an honest person. It took an extra nail-biting week for me to receive my 10's back. So now, here was their chance to make up for the error.
They could have simply said, "hey, because of what happened last year, the artwork is on us"! That's just good business practice. If Fang from Head-Fi sends out a customer the wrong product, or screws them up somehow, he always offers them a small token (E5, extra cable...something, to make up for the mistake). That good business sense. I will always buy from him when given a choice with a competitor.

I really like JHA, and their products, but I feel that it could have been handled a bit better with people at the show.

I know that everyone couldn't make it to the show, but even Todd gave last years attendees the first batch of the HF2, and then only charged people, when he was ready to ship their product.

Not trying to be mean here, just factual and comparative.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #438 of 2,681
immtbiker, I agree asking for the full price, plus shipping from enthusiastic, repeat customers at CanJam was pretty weak on JHA's part... but at the same time, all things considered, the price isn't terribly unreasonable. I was a bit off-put when I learned what they were doing, but it didn't really stop _me_ from placing my order... They probably figure they're not going to lose enough customers that being nice to them is worth it. Sigh..

And on another note, thanks for correcting me, khaos974! "Active" had me assuming that the crossover was literally active... that the crossover points are changing as the music plays. What is the "active" in "active crossover" actually referring to, then? :) *puzzled*

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #439 of 2,681
I'm going to agree with all of the above. (immtbiker)

I think that paying full price up front (for a product that doesn't even have a finalized design) is a little hard to grasp - plus waiting 1-2 months before it even ships.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #440 of 2,681
I was just happy they were willing to gut out the old pair and remold them.  Really, they could have insisted that customers had to repurchase everything. 
Which I would not have done.  The idea of buying another pair of jh13pro just for the combo would have been a deal breaker.  So I'm thankful they are offering modifications on my current pair.  

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #442 of 2,681

Quote:

Oh, yeah, what a big mistake on JH's part for forcing his products down people's throats...

The canjammers who put out their plastic understood the risk that there's no guaranteed shipping date (or at least they should've understood it). No one was forcing them to spend their money. So, your argument (bolded) makes zero sense.

I am not arguing about whether or not the consumer knows anything.   I didn't say JH is forcing anything down anybody's throat.  Huh?

I am saying (and I think immtbiker is saying this as well):  Its not best practices (to say the least) to release a product this way (again immtbiker put SEVERAL GREAT examples of how its done).  I gave an example with respect to shipping date that JH maybe holding your money a lot longer before you actually get a product.

Look I hear the folks in this thread: "Its a high-end product.  Deal with it."  I got that.  But as a consumer and HeadFi'er for many years, I'd like believe that vendors DO listen to feedback.

Perhaps JH does have a good reason to charge people almost $2k without a release date or ship date - beats the heck out of me what it is....

[Note:  I may wound up buying a pair at some point but as like immtbiker, this charge before ship precedent rubs me slightly the wrong way]

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #443 of 2,681
The sound was sublime. It literally beat out all of the other IEM's out there and will give most high end headphones, a run for their money.
My JH-13's have been my 'go to' headphone a good 80% of the time that music is playing in my head (not including elevators, doctor offices, and the damn voices that like to sing in my head 
tongue.gif
 ).
The newer 16's with the DSP was a revelation. It completely narrowed the barrier between live and recorded.
The final product will probably be better than what we heard, using a foamie on top of a custom without the amp doing the job on it's own.
This is another revolutionary innovation by Jerry and Co. and it might change the way that we listen to music using headphones.

Bringing back orthos (Head-Direct and Audeze), major companies releasing higher end cans, and the possibility of some new stats on the horizon, makes this a very exciting time for those who share our passion.

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #445 of 2,681
Regarding the [size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]AlgoRhythm Solo, what good is it if the I-devices it is intended to be used with don't play FLAC? Am I expected to convert my entire library to ALAC?[/size][/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Where is the SPDIF input on the JH-3A? I only see a 3.5mm input.[/size][/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Currently my portable and my only rig is a Westone 3 with UM56 eartips straight out of a Cowon S9. [/size][/size][/size]The only other IEM's I've had in the past are Etymotic ER6i's.

[size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Will the jump from my setup to the best portable combo possible (I-device, ALAC, [/size][/size][/size][size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]AlgoRhythm [/size][/size][/size][size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Solo, JH-3A, JH-16)[/size][/size][/size] be as significant as the jump from ER6i to Westone 3 with UM56? Because that was a pretty damn significant jump. Except this jump costs 10x more than the last.

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #446 of 2,681
So I just ordered the JH3A with the JH16s. I already have a pair of JH13s mated to an ALO RX. Here is a question I don't think anyone asked. I have an Ipad and I was reading about how with the camera connection kit you can get the data out of the Ipad to a dedicated AMP/DAC. Isn't this data all digital? People keep on talking about the analog connection out of the Ipad at the show. Can someone please educate me? Do we still need a device like the AlgoRhythm Solo if the camera connection kit can get digital out of the Ipad? Thanks for any input!

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #447 of 2,681

Quote:
Regarding the [size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]AlgoRhythm Solo, what good is it if the I-devices it is intended to be used with don't play FLAC? Am I expected to convert my entire library to ALAC?    [/size][/size][/size][size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Or Rockbox it[/size][/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]Where is the SPDIF input on the JH-3A? I only see a 3.5mm input.    [/size][/size][/size][size=medium][size=medium][size=medium]That is the SPDIF input via 3.5 mm rather than RCA or BNC[/size][/size][/size]

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #448 of 2,681
Do we know for sure which source options we are going to have?

Are we going to have all three?  Can someone clarify if we are going to have to choose between USB and Coaxial or we will have both.

1. Line out from ipod/iphone/ipad

2. Mini USB from Macbooks/Noteboo/Laptop PC

3. Coaxial from CD players

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #450 of 2,681
I believe that the Pico dac amp also only takes 16.1/44 then upsamples. (Again, i believe that high res USB is greatly a red herring, especially on a portable. Where is the music - or the need?) Jerry also said that higher res USB would add $200 or more to the price.

USB input was not implemented yet at CanJam. That is a new feature that Jerry said he will add since people want it. It seems thar both coaxial and USB will be supported.

The JH-3A is still a work in progress so we wait and see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back