JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #469 of 2,681

Quote:
so we have to choose analogue input or spdif input? can't have both?

you cant have both at the same time, but yes the plug does both kinds of inputs. its the extra pole on the plug that does the spdif. I think it owuld be realy cool if they added a RCA jack for it instead though, its not like the box isnt big enough for it, plus that way we could keep the impdances closer to spec, since i doubt that that pin on the trrs plug is 75 ohms.

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #470 of 2,681

I see, not that we have to choose as an option when it's made, but the one input is capable of doing both.
Quote:
you cant have both at the same time, but yes the plug does both kinds of inputs. its the extra pole on the plug that does the spdif. I think it owuld be realy cool if they added a RCA jack for it instead though, its not like the box isnt big enough for it, plus that way we could keep the impdances closer to spec, since i doubt that that pin on the trrs plug is 75 ohms.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #471 of 2,681
The mini-usb limitations are the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on this deal.  I ended up with just the JH16 Pro instead.

Honestly though, isn't CD quality all we need?  I was stretched for reasons not to buy the combo and these were the only ones I could think of:
- mini-usb limitations
- the iems can't be used separately
- low battery life.  Unless this thing can be charged via mini-usb, that's one more AC adapter to carry around.  Many portable amps right now hover around the 50 hour mark.  
- gut feel is that they will improve the new amp/dac before they upgrade the headphones again
- 2 month wait, money leaves pocket now

While the upgrade cost of $1099 is $500 more than what I could get for a new system, I can keep that option in mind for the future.

It's nice to have something to complain about here...  

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #472 of 2,681

Quote:
The mini-usb limitations are the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on this deal.  I ended up with just the JH16 Pro instead.

Honestly though, isn't CD quality all we need?  I was stretched for reasons not to buy the combo and these were the only ones I could think of:
- mini-usb limitations
- the iems can't be used separately
- low battery life.  Unless this thing can be charged via mini-usb, that's one more AC adapter to carry around.  Many portable amps right now hover around the 50 hour mark.  
- gut feel is that they will improve the new amp/dac before they upgrade the headphones again
- 2 month wait, money leaves pocket now

While the upgrade cost of $1099 is $500 more than what I could get for a new system, I can keep that option in mind for the future.

It's nice to have something to complain about here...  

You bring up very valid points but I've always wondered how much better multi-driver IEM's can sound if that crossover can just be taken out and placed in an external amplifier. According to the impressions, the JH-3A unleashes the potential of these custom-spec balanced armatures inside of our very own JH13/16 Pro. That right there outweighs the cons to me.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #473 of 2,681
So Sonic looks like you need to find a dap with a spdif digital output and dump the Hifiman801.
eek.gif
  Then you can do the 24 bit into the JH-A......... or i guess just bypass that dac and go in analog. 

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #474 of 2,681
now, purchasing the jh13/16pro without the jh-3a is like.......
well let's just say, it's what makes it worth having even more.  

Quote:

You bring up very valid points but I've always wondered how much better multi-driver IEM's can sound if that crossover can just be taken out and placed in an external amplifier. According to the impressions, the JH-3A unleashes the potential of these custom-spec balanced armatures inside of our very own JH13/16 Pro. That right there outweighs the cons to me.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #476 of 2,681
My 13's and multiple dap/amp choices are going to trump my portable needs. That dedicated 16/3a combo is going to be my "serious listening" chair (inside or out) rig. We live in a world that has way too much excess, no?

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #478 of 2,681

1. So far, as sound goes, I heard:
  1. Better imaging.
  2. Details more layered.
  3. Bass more impactful?
  4. Treble more crystal clear without being more sibilant.
  5. Greater soundstage.

2. But could someone elaborate and few of these observations:
  1. Is the treble more airy?
  2. And how much greater is the soundstage?  Does it come close to or exceed HD800?

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #479 of 2,681

Quote:

1. So far, as sound goes, I heard:
  1. Better imaging.
  2. Details more layered.
  3. Bass more impactful?
  4. Treble more crystal clear without being more sibilant.
  5. Greater soundstage.

2. But could someone elaborate and few of these observations:
  1. Is the treble more airy?
  2. And how much greater is the soundstage?  Does it come close to or exceed HD800?

The bass being more impactful could just well on be because the JH16's have more bass emphasis if you're used to the JH13 Pro's sound signature or never heard that much bass before. But, I love how I've heard someone else also said the treble emphasis and clarity improved without hurting the upper mids. Where sibilance lives.

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #480 of 2,681
soundstage?  how much greater? I would love it if it approached the hd800 level.

Quote:

The bass being more impactful could just well on be because the JH16's have more bass emphasis if you're used to the JH13 Pro's sound signature or never heard that much bass before. But, I love how I've heard someone else also said the treble emphasis and clarity improved without hurting the upper mids. Where sibilance lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back