JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 5, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #136 of 2,681

Quote:
Before you inevitably get your JH3a, feed it from the analog output of the 801, and give it glowing reviews and push your system on everybody, it should be noted that a digital output into the JH3a box will in all likelihood give the best SQ.  Feeding it via the 801's analog outputs (or any analog outputs for that matter) will force you to use 2 stages of DAC conversion and 1 stage of ADC conversion.

I'm really intrigued by this product and can't wait to see what people say about it.  Any ideas on the cable length?  I personally would want this as a desktop rig running out of my Accuphase digital out or a Squeezebox digital out in another room, but don't want to be closely tethered to the amp.  A standard 8' or so cable would be nice.  It'd also be great if JHA could include a cable that has the crossover network built into it so we could use it with any old amplification source without having to have the JH3a amp connected, like the current JH13/16 (say if I want to just plug it into my ipod while I'm out and about and don't want a 2nd box).

Where did you get this info from?

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #137 of 2,681

Quote:
Just a question, what do those last specs mean? It really doesn't make sense to me.

that will be the spec on the digital XO resolution

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #138 of 2,681

Quote:
@Qusp
IYO, do you think your jh13 would sound better out of a high-end balanced DAC/amp or out of the JH-3A. (of-course hypothetically)  
My instinticts tell me its an obvious answer, but being a dedicated setup to the customs on th JH-3A, I thought I might ask.

hard to say mate, we have zero spec, just a number of 50% which I find doubtful  and 100mw per channel  and the hype machine that has already started to justify their purchases to themselves and spray anyone nearby with the spit. whether Jerry tested this tyoe of unit  like you speak of before he gave this number is unknown, what does this number even mean? 50% better than what? JH13/16 pro fed from?? yes it has potential to be a great amp, but to fit a high end multichannel dac, decent battery, digital XO, plus 6 channels of high end no compromise amplification into a portable unit seems unlikely to me. i've had to make a few compromises just fitting 2, I wonder why the massive connector too, 8 pin connectors can be had smaller than a minijack.

there are many questions that need to be answered, is it an exciting product?? absolutely, can it be said to be the best sound around for multidriver IEMs?? not yet no it cant

Quote:

It will most likely top any amplifier available. Why? The amplifier is built from the ground up for these earpieces. You are no longer limited by the passive crossovers found in all of our JH13/16 Pro's. These balanced armatures are now set free and can finally release their potential. I can't wait to get mines for my JH16 Pro.
smile.gif

sonic, it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about here. the fact you have already started telling everyone its the best and therefor you are the best speaks volumes about your motivation in this hobby.

Quote:
Thanks Midoo1990

@sonic748i
Yes I'm sure 'hypothetically speaking' the JH-3A will perform beautifully against alot of amps but I was reffering to whether the DAC and amp in the jh-3A (using digital in) would best a high-end desktop balanced DAC/amp. The source is every bit as important (if not more) IMHO.
I did ask Jerry if the JH-3A would beneift from a high-end analouge input or if straight didgital in would be best and he replied with: 

"I'll ask my DSP guy to confirm but I believe that the better the DAC
and fewer conversions would be the best. If you come in digital the
only coversion in the crossover is from the dsp to the amps. If you
come analog in there will be a conversion on the front side also."

yeah, no point using a better spec dac than the ADC and DAC in the JHA3

Quote:

It will have the potential to best it but it would be crippled by the DAC feeding it the analog signal. My HiFiMAN-HM801 shouldn't be too much of a compromise. I'm pretty sure my future rig will be up there with the best rig ever put together in terms of sound quality.

there you go again, do you realize how annoying that is?? I hold zero jealousy towards your rig, so its not that.

Quote:
Before you inevitably get your JH3a, feed it from the analog output of the 801, and give it glowing reviews and push your system on everybody, it should be noted that a digital output into the JH3a box will in all likelihood give the best SQ.  Feeding it via the 801's analog outputs (or any analog outputs for that matter) will force you to use 2 stages of DAC conversion and 1 stage of ADC conversion.

I'm really intrigued by this product and can't wait to see what people say about it.  Any ideas on the cable length?  I personally would want this as a desktop rig running out of my Accuphase digital out or a Squeezebox digital out in another room, but don't want to be closely tethered to the amp.  A standard 8' or so cable would be nice.  It'd also be great if JHA could include a cable that has the crossover network built into it so we could use it with any old amplification source without having to have the JH3a amp connected, like the current JH13/16 (say if I want to just plug it into my ipod while I'm out and about and don't want a 2nd box).

hahahaha
beerchug.gif

and regarding the external XO maybe if enough people say this he might do it, I might consider it at that point. until then its just something i'll keep my eye on and maybe do with my next IEM upgrade

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #139 of 2,681
I just came from the Can Jam meet and went specifically to listen to the JH 13's  and the JH 16's to see which I would prefer. I was unaware that that the JH -3A's even existed until I arrived in the suite. I listened to both 13's and 16's and was set on buying the 16's until Jerry had me try the 3A's. I am now # 8 on the list to receive the 3A's.They were that much better.
My own reasoning  was that I had planned on buying a amp down the line after I would have purchased the 16's and now I don't have to.I claim no expertise in this field but I liked what I heard. I like the idea of time alignment and I could hear the difference by a large margin. 50% better may not be that far off to be truthful. As I described to Jerry after listening to them it was as if within my skull I could listen to the kick drum and bass guitar at the base of my neck.The vocals were higher up about mid level and the snare and cymbals where even higher up.The piano was to the left and right - right at my ears and guitar right there also yet it all melts together in a surreal way. You can get lost in the music as a whole or lock on a musician when something he or she is playing something that is speaking to you. I was standing there listening and was being moved emotionally by what I was hearing and at the same time telling myself this is very much worth the cost to have these kind of experiences. Just my 2 cents :)

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #140 of 2,681

@Rydmoto...or anyone else who saw this money out of my pocket taking device...

How truly portable is the JH3A? I mean; does it fit into your pants pocket with an Iphone? What are we talking general size wise and is this a desktop set up primarily or can it be truly portable, i.e. on the train/plane/ etc. Also, I didn’t see any specs on battery life, etc. Any more info on that? Thanks

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #141 of 2,681

Quote:
I just came from the Can Jam meet and went specifically to listen to the JH 13's  and the JH 16's to see which I would prefer. I was unaware that that the JH -3A's even existed until I arrived in the suite. I listened to both 13's and 16's and was set on buying the 16's until Jerry had me try the 3A's. I am now # 8 on the list to receive the 3A's.They were that much better.
My own reasoning  was that I had planned on buying a amp down the line after I would have purchased the 16's and now I don't have to.I claim no expertise in this field but I liked what I heard. I like the idea of time alignment and I could hear the difference by a large margin. 50% better may not be that far off to be truthful. As I described to Jerry after listening to them it was as if within my skull I could listen to the kick drum and bass guitar at the base of my neck.The vocals were higher up about mid level and the snare and cymbals where even higher up.The piano was to the left and right - right at my ears and guitar right there also yet it all melts together in a surreal way. You can get lost in the music as a whole or lock on a musician when something he or she is playing something that is speaking to you. I was standing there listening and was being moved emotionally by what I was hearing and at the same time telling myself this is very much worth the cost to have these kind of experiences. Just my 2 cents :)

OH MY, thanks for your impressions!!!!

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #142 of 2,681

Quote:

thanks for the impressions, but it seems you did not hear the JH13/16 with a high quality Dac and amp first, in order to agree with the 50% number. if i'm wrong there please accept my apologies; in which case whoa!!

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #143 of 2,681

Quote:

Could you tell us more about it logistically, like how is it powered? (Battery, AC, etc) And what are the inputs?

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #144 of 2,681

Quote:

@Rydmoto...or anyone else who saw this money out of my pocket taking device...

How truly portable is the JH3A? I mean; does it fit into your pants pocket with an Iphone? What are we talking general size wise and is this a desktop set up primarily or can it be truly portable, i.e. on the train/plane/ etc. Also, I didn’t see any specs on battery life, etc. Any more info on that? Thanks

The best I recall is the amp is about an 1 1/8" high..about 3 1/2" wide and close to 4 1/2" deep. But please don't hold me to that.
With a little creativity you or I can make a holster using leather or heavy fabric to clip on a belt or something along those lines in which I plan to do once I get it. Had I known I could have measured it for you.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #145 of 2,681
Quote:
...a simple iriver with optical out will give better results. only thing better would be a higher bitrate digital transport (only if using higher bitrate source material)

Indeed.  But, Guys, this is a big issue. Has anyone confirmed yet whether the SPDIF input is Toslink or coaxial?

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #146 of 2,681

Quote:

I had a few minutes today with the demo JH3A package as well. It was set up with a pair of universal JH16, I also had a chance to talk to Jerry for a couple minutes.

Overall, I was impressed and I'm considering signing up for the list tomorrow. You have to take meet listening impressions with a grain of salt, especially mine. I came away with the impression, even in meet conditions, that the JH3A~JH16 combo bettered my JH13's in a couple areas; soundstage and instrument placement. I didn't come away noticing a real difference in the frequency response sound signature between the JH3A~JH16 and my familiar JH13. I didn't get as much difference between the standard demo JH16  and my JH13 as I was expecting either. I didn't find any compelling reason to buy a standard JH16 to replace my JH13.

The JH3A set up at CanJam isn't a 100% production version yet. The volume and DSP control is handled by a laptop, the digital controls aren't implemented on the front panel yet. There is also a USB port that isn't implemented yet that is supposed to be in the final version, although I believe it is for programing the DSP only, not as a digital source in. The source at CanJam is an I-pad SPDIF out.

Jerry remarked that the JH3A makes the choice between JH13 and JH16 less of a difference. The ability to digitally tailor the sound a bit makes it possible to close what FR gap there is between the two. He also explained that to refit an existing JH13 for the JH3A is pretty much a one way trip, the mods are extensive. After talking to him, I don't see it being a valid choice to retrofit an existing JH13/16 for the JH3A. Both money wise and logistics wise you don't retain enough of the original value, I am definitely going for a new pair if I sign up. Whether its a pair of JH13 or JH16 doesn't seem to be much of an issue soundwise. 

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #147 of 2,681

Quote:
I had a few minutes today with the demo JH3A package as well. It was set up with a pair of universal JH16, I also had a chance to talk to Jerry for a couple minutes.

Overall, I was impressed and I'm considering signing up for the list tomorrow. You have to take meet listening impressions with a grain of salt, especially mine. I came away with the impression, even in meet conditions, that the JH3A~JH16 combo bettered my JH13's in a couple areas; soundstage and instrument placement. I didn't come away noticing a real difference in the frequency response sound signature between the JH3A~JH16 and my familiar JH13. I didn't get as much difference between the standard demo JH16  and my JH13 as I was expecting either. I didn't find any compelling reason to buy a standard JH16 to replace my JH13.

The JH3A set up at CanJam isn't a 100% production version yet. The volume and DSP control is handled by a laptop, the digital controls aren't implemented on the front panel yet. There is also a USB port that isn't implemented yet that is supposed to be in the final version, although I believe it is for programing the DSP only, not as a digital source in. The source at CanJam is an I-pad SPDIF out.

Jerry remarked that the JH3A makes the choice between JH13 and JH16 less of a difference. The ability to digitally tailor the sound a bit makes it possible to close what FR gap there is between the two. He also explained that to refit an existing JH13 for the JH3A is pretty much a one way trip, the mods are extensive. After talking to him, I don't see it being a valid choice to retrofit an existing JH13/16 for the JH3A. Both money wise and logistics wise you don't retain enough of the original value, I am definitely going for a new pair if I sign up. Whether its a pair of JH13 or JH16 doesn't seem to be much of an issue soundwise. 

Thanks for your impressions. May I ask, what amp have you used with your JH13's before?

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #148 of 2,681
I am at CanJam right now and have held the jh-3a in my hand and listened to it at length. I will say this,having owned a lot of portable gear I can say that the jh-3a is the best I have heard and coupled with the cypher labs digital transport it will make everyone sell their imods, 801's and just use any I- product they choose for the ultimate portable rig that I believe will rival many home rigs. Again this is my opinion. There is nothing out there right now in the portable world that rivals it.

www.travisontech.com for more on Canjam.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #149 of 2,681

Quote:
I am at CanJam right now and have held the jh-3a in my hand and listened to it at length. I will say this,having owned a lot of portable gear I can say that the jh-3a is the best I have heard and coupled with the cypher labs digital transport it will make everyone sell their imods, 801's and just use any I- product they choose for the ultimate portable rig that I believe will rival many home rigs. Again this is my opinion. There is nothing out there right now in the portable world that rivals it.

www.travisontech.com for more on Canjam.

* Takes money out of his savings account *

Users who are viewing this thread

Back