JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 5, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #152 of 2,681
Quote:

There is also a USB port that isn't implemented yet that is supposed to be in the final version, although I believe it is for programing the DSP only, not as a digital source in. The source at CanJam is an I-pad SPDIF out.   

Good info thanks. But regarding the above, I am more confused all the time. iPad has USB out.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #153 of 2,681

Quote:
Would it be possible to integrate a passive crossover in a cable? I mean if you can make add a remote sized remote on a headphone cable it should be possible to make a crossover too.

The best thing from a customer pov would be to for jerry harvey sell the 3A + JH13/16 (without passive crossover) + cable with passive crossover. That way the customer could use the active crossover + amp at home and still be free to use the Jh13/16 on the move with a smaller amp or directly out of the DAP.

The problem is I'm not really sure how commercially feasible that is for JH eve if they sell the cable + passive crossover as an option.

Not to be overly cynical, but I expect JH Audio may want to cash in on people buying multiple IEMs.

Personally, I'll be waiting for a good special ($800-900 upgrade, perhaps?) as the stock JH13's are really perfectly fine.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #154 of 2,681
I agree with travisg.

The JH3X IEM+DSP/AMP combo makes a lot more sense (and is cheaper) than PMP+LOD+DAC+AMP+JH13/16. 

As for the sound.  I'll start as the top.  The treble has great extension, presence, detail, speed, and it magically does all this by keep the treble smooth.  The mids sound great as well.  The adjustable bass is a great feature as you can pretty much put the bass wherever you want it.  The bass is everything people have come to expect from JH Audio.

It's just a fantastic sounding headphone.  However, I did listen to the JH13 and JH16 after the JH3X and I felt the JH13 was good enough that you could have that instead of the JH3X and life would be fine.  The JH16 had a little too much bass for me so I liked being able to reduce the bass on the JH3X.

We're talking about the last few steps of refinement here, not the change from a $5 earbud to a $300 full sized can.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #155 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:

Indeed.  But, Guys, this is a big issue. Has anyone confirmed yet whether the SPDIF input is Toslink or coaxial?

Quote:
Quote:

Good info thanks. But regarding the above, I am more confused all the time. iPad has USB out.

Jerry clearly pointed out the SPDIF feeding the JH3A, and there was an I-pad source. The table had quite a maze of wiring though, as there was a netbook hooked up to run the Volume and DSP and there was another box under the JH3A. So how signal got from A-B is a bit less clear to me that before you asked the question. If no one posts up a clearer answer, I check it tomorrow. But the input used to the JH3A is definitely S/PDIF.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #159 of 2,681
What type of player would you have to use with this?  How big is it compared to the HIFIman for instance.  Is it small enough that I could run with it?  Reason I ask is my 16s surely are getting close to the lab I ordered April 29th/impressions May 6th.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #160 of 2,681
Quote:
Jerry clearly pointed out the SPDIF feeding the JH3A, and there was an I-pad source. The table had quite a maze of wiring though, as there was a netbook hooked up to run the Volume and DSP and there was another box under the JH3A. So how signal got from A-B is a bit less clear to me that before you asked the question. If no one posts up a clearer answer, I check it tomorrow. But the input used to the JH3A is definitely S/PDIF.

It is well believable that Jerry had a conversion from USB to SPDIF in that maze of wire. Yes, please do check whether the JH-3A unit accepts SPDIF via an optical port (i.e. Toslink) or a coaxial port. Look forward to your posting back, bada bing.

Much thanks!

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #161 of 2,681
Quote:
I think this is a useful bit of information...thanks...

Quote:
Quote:

That certainly put things into perspective. Thanks.

I heard the JH13 right after hearing the JH3X and felt I could have left the room with the JH13 (if making a custom IEM took 30 seconds) and I wouldn't feel "Oh I feel like I'm missing something great by not getting the JH3X"  The JH3X doesn't diminish the great sound of the JH13.

This is a little off topic but it might help explain my point of view. After hearing the new Westone ES5X I felt like Westone really needs to update their entire universal line as you realize just how much is missing with those. 

I didn't feel this was about the JH3X vs JH13.  Again, we're talking refinement not revolution. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #162 of 2,681
I would love to see a desktop model, which would allow for room to properly amp each channel beyond cmoy levels.  Slap in a better DAC while youre at it.  Suddenly, you have the ultimate bedside rig! 

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #165 of 2,681

Also as sad as it makes my wallet it is better than my Protector.

It's not exactly portable like the protector right?
I just saw a poor picture of the one at can jam and it doesn't even look like it'll fit in my pocket.

I'm very glad to hear that it's more of a refinement than an all out explosion as I need the portability for travel to and from school etc as I really only use my 16's on the go (I go a lot - it's a two hour trip door to door each way for me to get to school)

If I'm to get the best POCKETABLE experience, I think I'm going to need a protector right? Ive got a pico slim on order but im mesmerized by the options on the arrow (bass boost is important to me)

Oh decisions decisions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back