JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Apr 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #8,911 of 10,743
On pure sound and out of the same amp with the same cable I prefer my HE-500 to my JH13 but if I had to settle for just one phone it eould be the JH13 no contest

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #8,913 of 10,743

Quote:
I use the JH13 in some situations where to shut out the noise and when appropriate.  The problem for me is that i get footfall noise so the main reason that i got them, walking the dog and out and about, doesn't work.  I have had many molds, two different audiologist and even Jerry's go to person in Los Angeles.  I have tried to figure it out, others have the problem too, but after several years I finally have narrowed it down.  The tissue in my ear just doesn't tighten enough to hold them totally secure.  Even though i have a perfect seal and they are as tight as comfortable without being painful, and i have had them painful before, they mircroscopically move and it causes a thumping.  The only relief is, if I ware them over a half hour, and push them deep several times during that the tissue secures better and if I don't walk to cluncky the foot noise is decreased or almost totally gone.  At that point it is tolerable and i occasionally will use them like that.

I actually was so frustrated at one point that i just got a pair of Edition 8 LE headphones to replace that need.

Also i only rarely use the jh13 with an amplifier, i use my only euphoric piece of equipment to drive them usually, which is the HM801 with the upgraded game iem amplifier built in.  Then i take it straight out of the jack.  It does sound better with the pico amp, just not worth carrying unless i have a good reason.  I do feel the JH13 is very transparent though and shows the upsteam components, ie player and dac.

I have never heard this discussed before but one should consider their sodium intake in the days leading up to getting an ear impression. If you have a high sodium intake it causes water retention so even the tissue in an ear canal will be slightly puffier as is tissue all over the body. This will make the impression smaller than it should be even if only microscopically. I would suggest monitoring sodium 4-5 days prior to impressions. No sodas, chips, fast or processed foods, etc. Basically keep it clean and the impression, if done correctly should turn out just as nature intended.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #8,918 of 10,743

Quote:

I have never heard this discussed before but one should consider their sodium intake in the days leading up to getting an ear impression. If you have a high sodium intake it causes water retention so even the tissue in an ear canal will be slightly puffier as is tissue all over the body. This will make the impression smaller than it should be even if only microscopically. I would suggest monitoring sodium 4-5 days prior to impressions. No sodas, chips, fast or processed foods, etc. Basically keep it clean and the impression, if done correctly should turn out just as nature intended.

i eat very well, low salt for blood pressure being right on the line, and after several years of being a vegetarian, i now eat fish two times a week or so.  Almost nothing processed or soda.  But an interesting thought.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #8,919 of 10,743

Quote:
How it compares to other amps. Since its said to unleash the potential of the jh13s

In my opinion it is best match for JH customs you can found. I tried my old JH13 and now JH16 on different desktop high end rigs, mostly Czech amplifiers, but from known amps I heard SPL auditor and Phonitor or Leben CS300X( with EMM Labs DAC 6 SE) and I think JH-3A is better than all of these and for minimal price compared to them.

It is just sad that now you cant have your JH13 transformed to JH16 for JH-3A, as I didi with my old pair.

High Quality digital transport really helps to improve sound of JH-3A, its usb input isnt so great.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #8,920 of 10,743

Quote:

i eat very well, low salt for blood pressure being right on the line, and after several years of being a vegetarian, i now eat fish two times a week or so.  Almost nothing processed or soda.  But an interesting thought.

I commend you on your attention to diet. I also pay attention to what I consume  and mentioned the above point as I definitely feel and see the effects when I happen to consume something with a high sodium content. I had impressions done earlier this week and that occurred to me a few days before I went as the fitting, sending, waiting process is going to be long. Food allergies can also have an inflammatory effect. If you have a cold or some other process going on at the time. Maybe we start a "what you should or shouldn't do before you get your impressions" thread. Even though my Audiologist told me they do free refits I prefer to get it right the first time.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #8,921 of 10,743

Quote:
Hey guys, just wanted to ask how do you think the jh13 scales up against other headphones amongst the likes of the LCD-2?

same level,depends on the mood but i will rank the jh13 with the lcd2 level easily. jh13 is more transparent and easier to distinguish details on.better imaging as well imo.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #8,922 of 10,743

Quote:
Well finally caught up with the thread.  Sounds like the sound science type guys are over here espousing that the cheapest is perfect and we can't trust our ears again.
confused.gif

I had a Sansa Fuze for a while, wanted to use it because it played my flac files.  The sound was totally flat with the JH13s, anyone who use that is really missing out.  I suspect the Sansa sound ie the Clip, which is lower end still, would carry that sound.  What a waste of money spent on a pair of 13's.  The 13's really show the source like HD800s, up the chain counts.

agreed.clip and fuze sound crap to my ears with the jh13.no idea why anyone would use them with the 13s.it was muffled and undetailed to me ears not neutral.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #8,923 of 10,743

Quote:

agreed.clip and fuze sound crap to my ears with the jh13.no idea why anyone would use them with the 13s.it was muffled and undetailed to me ears not neutral.

Disagree with the muffled and undetailed part, agree that the JH13 really does need need a way better source to unlock its full potential.

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #8,924 of 10,743

Quote:

You realize your home amplifier introduces massive amounts of distortion and noise that are pretty much as far from neutral as it can categorically get?
blink.gif
 You haven't a benchmark even close to fidelity to begin with.

To be fair, my own is far from ideal in design but I haven't had the time to switch out to something cheaper with more fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back