JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Mar 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #8,596 of 10,743

Quote:

I tried the ALO amp at a meet and it was a better match for my JH13Pro than the Pico Slim, but the Slim was better with my ES3X and ES5.

I was leaning toward getting the arrow for 300 since its only 125 more than the estimated fix costs of the alo rx.  But I decided to try out the leckerton (spelling?) uha-4 amp/dac which has a lot of features i like, slim, crossfeed and a DAC for only 179!  So I'll just get the UHA-4 to test out with the jh13's AND get the ALO RX fixed for 175....if the synergy isnt what i like between the uha-4 and jh13's then ill go with the alo rx.  So instead of getting 1 new amp..... ill get an old one fixed and a amp/dac for only about 50 or so bucks more!  I love getting excited about audio equipment!

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #8,597 of 10,743
Now that I upgraded my JH13 with the silver dragon cable, the fit became a lot better. I do not loose the seal whenever I do a big smile or move my jaw. Before, with the stock cable, I did. I think the memory wire of the stock cable had something to do with that. Just a thought.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #8,598 of 10,743

Quote:
Now that I upgraded my JH13 with the silver dragon cable, the fit became a lot better. I do not loose the seal whenever I do a big smile or move my jaw. Before, with the stock cable, I did. I think the memory wire of the stock cable had something to do with that. Just a thought.

I am cable agnostic at this point when it comes to sound improvement. Having said, I am a firm beliver that many, many, many fit issues people have come from the cable and the ergonomics associated with placement around the ears, slight bends in the cable in a place, etc etc..

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #8,599 of 10,743
has anyone directly compared the iBasso PB-1, the RSA Protector, the RSA Shadow, and the Pico Slim with their JH13s?  

Or at least a couple of those?  I don't mean those who had X and sold it and bought (more expensive) Y.  Obviously Y is going to sound better at that point.  I mean, you have the different amps at the same time and have rigorously compared them against one another?  

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #8,600 of 10,743
I have compared the Protector, Pico Slim and the Mustang (which is very similar to the shadow) with the JH13.  To me, the Pico Slim is fast and has more snap or punch to it whereas the Protector has a little better sound stage.  They are all great amps just with different flavors.  In terms of power, the Protector has the most power and can drive more fullsize cans better than the Pico Slim and Mustang.  The Mustang is warmer of the three.  I really like the balance out of the Protector, I like the balance sound.  I also really like the form factor of the Slim.  That is why I have the Slim and the SR71b.  I love the balance sound.  To me all three are keepers.  If you like the PB1, I'll go for the PB2 as it will give you enough power to drive any cans with 2.5 watts.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #8,601 of 10,743
thanks Jalo, I wish I had the ability to test all three.  I had the Shadow, but sold it long ago.  I'm getting the Pico Slim tomorrow.  And I've heard the SR 71b, but not with JH13s, and not next to either of these, so I was just wondering what those who had thought.  I agree they're all incredible amps.  For me, probably the most important thing is that they'll ONLY be used for the JH13, as I have no other cans, period.  

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #8,603 of 10,743
I'm pairing mine balanced with the protector and silver dragon iem cable, and got a single-ended twag on the way. hopefully, it will improve. hated the discoloration of the stock clear cable (turning green).

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #8,604 of 10,743

Quote:
I have compared the Protector, Pico Slim and the Mustang (which is very similar to the shadow) with the JH13.  To me, the Pico Slim is fast and has more snap or punch to it whereas the Protector has a little better sound stage.  They are all great amps just with different flavors.  In terms of power, the Protector has the most power and can drive more fullsize cans better than the Pico Slim and Mustang.  The Mustang is warmer of the three.  I really like the balance out of the Protector, I like the balance sound.  I also really like the form factor of the Slim.  That is why I have the Slim and the SR71b.  I love the balance sound.  To me all three are keepers.  If you like the PB1, I'll go for the PB2 as it will give you enough power to drive any cans with 2.5 watts.

I agree with this - But in addition I would like to add that to me the balanced Protector brings out the mids of the JH13Pro and wakes them up a bit, vs the Pico Slim which sounds more laid back and mellow in the mids.  I almost want to say the JH13Pro mids are recessed with the Slim, but not so much in absolute terms as just "more recessed than I prefer".  I can appreciate the Slim more with my ES3X and ES5, and while the Protector is perfect with JH13Pro it's a little aggressive sounding with the Westones.

Apr 16, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #8,606 of 10,743

JH13 PRO

Rodrigo Pita

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #8,608 of 10,743

Quote:
@rmappita: Really nice shot!

Thank You SolidVictory!
I'm uploading some pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/50502451@N06/  to get better quality

Rodrigo

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #8,610 of 10,743
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I visited this thread, but recently I have more seriously been considering customs, and the JH-13 is at the top of my list. Are there any good reviews comparing the JH-13 to the other high-end customs like the ES5s and UE-RMs (or if any of you are willing to compare them)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back