JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Mar 2, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #7,651 of 10,743
Haha yeah indeed. I don't have the TF10 with me so I gotta get brand new ones and adding the cost to convert them to a TF18 runs to about slightly over (700-800usd) 1000 sgd. And that's without warranty. I reckon that I might as well plump the extra cash down, get something that's really up there with a solid warranty policy. I don't want to be in a position where I spend that much and end up having failed drivers. Its gonna be heart breaking and really pissing off.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #7,652 of 10,743
on an added note I did try the JH11 universals and found them really musical and engaging. Less detailed than the 13, thicker and more euphonic. the 13s had a greater wow factor and were definitely more refined. something tells me that the 11 might be easier to live with in the long run while the 13 less so. but maybe thats some sort of cognitive dissonance even before my purchase. it kinda reminds me of the difference between the esw9 and the esw10jpn.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #7,654 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by djchaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been constantly reading through the reviews of the UE11/JH11 and the JH13 and I am taken aback. I'm considering purchasing an IEM and have now come down to either the JH11 or the JH13. I'm wondering if anybody could lend me some advice based off of their listening experiences with one or both of these models.

The last pair of phones I had were a pair of AKG k701s so I'm basing a majority of my listening from these. I felt the amount of detail and soundstage from these phone was very good but I felt the bass was lacking.

Looking to the JH11, I keep reading that the bass sounds slightly more accentuated than the 13s due to the dual low driver while the 13 balances itself out due to a dual driver for each frequency range. Is it safe to make this assumption? Also, recalling the detail and bass from the 701s, I guess I'm worried that the 11s might not have a good amount of detail or that the 13s won't have enough bass impact to my ears and might be too dry or analytical.

Lastly, I listen to a wide array of genres. I like detail where it counts in genres like jazz, ambient, classical, etc. but maybe not so much in regard to hip hop, trance, house, etc. I'm slightly worried that either the 13s will make lower quality music sound harsh (in addition to a possibly lesser presence of bass (another assumption)) or that the 11s will over-emphasize the bass at some rate.

In short, I like detail and bass presence but I guess I don't want one to outdo the other.

Any suggestions?

Much thanks.

do NOT worry about the 13's lacking bass, thats a lot of hogwash. they are capable of some smackdown bass if its in the recording. bass texture to die for as well. and then of course all other frequencies are covered, going by your wide ranging music tastes, I would go the 134's. I havent heard the 11's, but everyone i've seen compare them on here has come out in favor of the 13's

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #7,655 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are capable of some smackdown bass if its in the recording. bass texture to die for as well.

That's the thing though, some people are used to their recordings having a bass presence that doesn't even exist in the actual recording. The JH13's are very neutral and if there isn't a lot of bass in the recording then the JH13 won't provide more bass than is actually there. When there is bass though the bass that the JH13 provides is textured and very deep.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #7,656 of 10,743
Is there anything that the 11 does that is potentially seen as a plus over the 13?

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #7,660 of 10,743
I would love to chime in on this. Based on my brief time spent with the universal version of the 11 I found them to be less airy and refined compared to e universal 13 on which I spent a great deal more time. The 11 was thicker and more fleshed out. It reminds me of an um2 but of course a great deal better. The difference between the 13 n e 11 is alot like the difference between the ath-esw9 and esw10jpn. But it's more dramatic difference. The 13 definitely had a very big wow factor. The 11 seemed more familiar to me.

And like many of the guys said the issue about the 13 not having enough bass is utter bull. It does present bass when it's supposed to be there otherwise not. People used to say the same thing about the ety which to my ears it isn't true. But for the 13,for the first time ever I see it to be true. The bass on e 11 seems muddy and less defined than the 13. Bass on e 13 is really tight deep n visceral!

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #7,661 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to chime in on this. Based on my brief time spent with the universal version of the 11 I found them to be less airy and refined compared to e universal 13 on which I spent a great deal more time. The 11 was thicker and more fleshed out. It reminds me of an um2 but of course a great deal better. The difference between the 13 n e 11 is alot like the difference between the ath-esw9 and esw10jpn. But it's more dramatic difference. The 13 definitely had a very big wow factor. The 11 seemed more familiar to me.

And like many of the guys said the issue about the 13 not having enough bass is utter bull. It does present bass when it's supposed to be there otherwise not. People used to say the same thing about the ety which to my ears it isn't true. But for the 13,for the first time ever I see it to be true. The bass on e 11 seems muddy and less defined than the 13. Bass on e 13 is really tight deep n visceral!

couldn't agree more. I wasn't like in shock and awe with the 11's, the 13's just changed my perception of IEM's completely

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #7,662 of 10,743
Thanks for the opinions. It looks as though I now have to save up for the 13s.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #7,663 of 10,743
Well my 13's arrived today. First let me say the fit is outstanding. They are slightly more narrow/skinny than my UE11's that they scanned. I was a little surprised by this, since with the additional drivers I figured they would at least be the same size. This size difference has actually led to a better fit, and it's not like I had a poor fit with the 11's.

As I sit hear, listening to my portable setup (haven't even made it to the home rig), sipping on a fine Killer Penguin Barleywine, all I can say is...so, this is what all of the fuss is about. Wow, I didn't think after only a few hours, I would be this enthralled, etranced, elated, etc.

Now, most of what I will say has probably all been said, but let me have my JH13 moment. First, I did do some a/bing with my 11's. I have always been happy with the 11's. They have excellent sound. Yeah, sometimes I thought the bass was little overpowering over the other frequencies and my biggest issue with them is they don't have the best synergy with the P-51. But they did put a smile on my face.

With all of that said, the 13's are not merely in another league, but a whole different universe. First, anyone who would think the bass is lacking on the 13's must be on crack. They simply cannot be mentally coherent. These have bass in spades when needed. What really is shocking is the bass texture, wow, I've never been in this world, but I think I'm going to stay a long time. This is advantage #1 over the 11's. The mids and highs are oh so crystalline, and work in concert with the oh so perfectly deep and detailed bass. As has been written many times, the bass, on the 11's, while very good, could bully it's way over the mids and highs. No such problem here. The 13's just sound so damn natural.

To the soundstage, as has been written many, many times, it is simply amazing. I would never have thought an IEM could have a soundstage so deep and wide. I found it hard to believe that it rivaled the HD 800. Well shame on me, b/c it is right there. Compared to the 11's, there is no comparison, and I'll leave it at that.

On top of all that, after only hours, I can tell that the 13's and the P-51 are going to have an incredibly long and happy marriage.

For those on the fence, don't be afraid, it is all truth, they are that incredibly exceptional.

Now, I'm not going to sell my full size cans. I enjoy both of them far too much. But they are going to be in a major fight for headtime with these truly breathtaking little works of art.

I truly believe I have reached my endpoint of my audiophile journey. I am so happy with all of my setup/equipment, I think it is time to just listen for a long, long time. I was nervous about spending the money on the 13's, since I just got the 11's early last year. But they are soooooo worth it!
icon10.gif
I don't think my 11's will be long for my ownership.

The 13's are the perfect cherry on top to my setup. Like I said above, don't just sit there, come and join the fun!
devil_face.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #7,664 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for the JH13, as the JH11 are colored with an emphasized mid-bass. The longer you listen to music, the more you will like a neutral reproduction of your music. At least that is my experience and that forced me to sell my UE11 at the end and to buy the JH13.

How did you sell your UE11's? Did you find another person on this planet with exactly the same ear canals as yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back