JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #2,746 of 10,743
I would have to say that I like Xeon's approach to this. But the usual question that we would often come to is whether your ears would actually appreciate the quality of the sound?

Because many people spend a lot of time honing their ears with lower-to-middle range products and take a really long time. I was only fortunate to have a lot of classical and jazz training before taking up this insanely expensive hobby, so my ears have been forced to develop, so I jumped directly to TF10, then JH13.

If you're very exposed to live music and listen a lot, then I'm definitely advising you to hit the top. And perhaps your ears might not be there yet, but with your rig, you'll learn much about listening to music your way. =)

Anyway it's similar to TF10 in terms of bringing details... You can read my quick review ages ago on this thread but I can't find it myself =X. Haha when it first came it sounded more similar to TF10 at first than now. Now I can hear deeper and higher extensions together with a much better airiness together with detailed resolution, not to mention much better seal.

Can't go back to TF10.... But if you want speed, accuracy and almost flat sound signature like the TF 10 (though there was a bit of mid-bass bump) you'd love the JH13.

I came from there and I think that the JH13 rocks my socks, much better than what I'd expect from Jerry Harvey. Then again, he IS Jerry Harvey...

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #2,747 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeon [09] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very strange analogy, hehehe
regular_smile .gif
. But this analogy fails. Since I'm not doing anything while listening to music. Playing golf is different. I have to physically input actions justifying my skills. I'm very familiar with most instruments sounds and all earphones do is try to mimic a sound as it was heard in real life. So simply hearing the JH13 Pro's, I should see if it sounds as close to real life as possible....

I say go for it. It sounds like you're very sure of your decision, so I'm not clear what point there is in arguing with the people who are trying to understand the logic of your decision.

Personally, I find it kinda funny. Please post your impressions when you receive your IEM's.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #2,748 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't do the ue11pro. I'm not saying it's like bose but it has bose like characteristics in the bass: it is boomy and muddy.

the ue11 is anything but muddy and all i have heard is the universal edition. hardly muddy at all. clear with strong, well defined bass. very strong, but well defined. there is no way the ue11 or any other custom should be trashed in this thread no matter how better the jh models are or may be for now.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2,749 of 10,743
Something I've wondered, in light of the person purchasing the JH13 for purely portable use, is whether current JH13 owners would have purchased these IEM's if their only intended use for them was going to be portable.

I can't help but wonder if I'd have a hard time justifying them if I was only going to be listening on the go. I'm one who believes that there's only a certain level of critical listening that can be achieved in a portable context. Maybe that's because my portable use is usually fairly active- working out at the gym, doing stuff on campus, etc..

Maybe if my portable use was more like a commuter, where I could fully focus on the music, say, sitting on a bus/train, then I'd feel differently.

This goes to a more philosophical question I've been wrestling with about the ultimate value of putting big $$ into a portable rig that will be used while my attention is at least partially occupied with other activities.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #2,750 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to be a little or a lot weird to exist here. It is mandatory and the only way not to get banned. :^)

OT, I don't tell people how much they cost.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #2,751 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something I've wondered, in light of the person purchasing the JH13 for purely portable use, is whether current JH13 owners would have purchased these IEM's if their only intended use for them was going to be portable.

I can't help but wonder if I'd have a hard time justifying them if I was only going to be listening on the go. I'm one who believes that there's only a certain level of critical listening that can be achieved in a portable context. Maybe that's because my portable use is usually fairly active- working out at the gym, doing stuff on campus, etc..

Maybe if my portable use was more like a commuter, where I could fully focus on the music, say, sitting on a bus/train, then I'd feel differently.

This goes to a more philosophical question I've been wrestling with about the ultimate value of putting big $$ into a portable rig that will be used while my attention is at least partially occupied with other activities.

For me portable also means that I can easily move it between home and work, so that I can use the same single rig wherever I go. Money-saving concerns here, as well as the ability to bring the sound that I like everywhere. (Another analogy: partly the reason I use a single laptop at home and at work rather than having two desktops at work and at home, although the latter option probably comes out to be cheaper).

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #2,752 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well i'm buying them for both, but primarily portable. this is it though, it seems that many people in this thread bought them with portable use in mind, but because they simply trounce all the home gear they might have; end up using them at home as well.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #2,753 of 10,743
I will also buy them for portable and home use.
On the go I will use them straight out of my iPhone, at home with a DAC and amp out of my Vaio.

Jochen

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #2,754 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jochen.schell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will also buy them for portable and home use.
On the go I will use them straight out of my iPhone, at home with a DAC and amp out of my Vaio.

Jochen

I always wanted to know what a more higher end DAC offered in quality. What differences do you see when you plug your Westone 3 into your home rig over your iPhone?

Thanks.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #2,755 of 10,743
Hi,

the Westone 3 out of my iPhone sounds way better than the Westone 3 out of the headphone jack from my notebook.
But the Westone 3 out of my DAC and Amp connected to an USB port of my notebook sounds way better than the Westone 3 out of my iPhone.

So my experience is:
Notebook headphone out: poor
iPhone : OK
Notebook with DAC and Amp : perfect

Btw. I mostly use an bluetooth receiver Sony DRC-BT15P between the iPhone and the W3 to get less cable hazzle.

Jochen

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #2,756 of 10,743
Quote:

Hi,

the Westone 3 out of my iPhone sounds way better than the Westone 3 out of the headphone jack from my notebook.
But the Westone 3 out of my DAC and Amp connected to an USB port of my notebook sounds way better than the Westone 3 out of my iPhone.

So my experience is:

Btw. I mostly use an bluetooth receiver Sony DRC-BT15P between the iPhone and the W3 to get less cable hazzle.

Jochen

Thanks.
o2smile.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #2,757 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeon [09] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always wanted to know what a more higher end DAC offered in quality. What differences do you see when you plug your Westone 3 into your home rig over your iPhone?

Thanks.

Usually a higher quality DAC increases the detail retrieval and the separation of the instruments (so also increases the soundstage)

Likewise, better bass reproduction. At least this was my experience when comparing one dac to another of higher quality.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #2,758 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure that you are aware of what has been happening with college graduates nowadays who have brilliant degrees, no jobs, and have huge college debt. Even a job a Starbuck's is manna from heaven for some people. I hope with a Physics degree you will happily find a job. I have a Fine Art degree and I often find myself wishing that I worked in Applied Physics.

That's is why I say a degree in Fine Arts is a degree in sweet FA!

Sceptre

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #2,759 of 10,743
Cool. I just did a comparison like this using my Sennheiser HD 650's. Sources were MacBook Pro to Pico DAC/amp, vs iPhone 3G S. Matched for volume (which meant maxed out on the Pico, and almost-maxed-out on the iPhone. Lossless files. I could hear no difference between the two. Now, I'm not much of an audiophile (yet) so I am sure you and others could hear a difference. And, even though it was not blind, my bias went the other way: I really wanted to believe the Pico's DAC would blow away the iPhone's DAC. Not the case, to my ears.

I am hoping my JH-13's will show the advantages of the Pico, and I also hope that I'll at last be able to reliably discriminate a lossless file from a high-bitrate MP3!

Full post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ip...6/#post5879231

Quote:

Hi,

So my experience is:

Jochen

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #2,760 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ue11 is anything but muddy and all i have heard is the universal edition. hardly muddy at all. clear with strong, well defined bass. very strong, but well defined. there is no way the ue11 or any other custom should be trashed in this thread no matter how better the jh models are or may be for now.

Yeah, the UE11Pro has powerful bass, and with the wrong amp it can give off a little bit of "bass cloud" but with the right amp it can be defined and controlled sounding (like my iBasso D10 with AD744OBCA/EL8201 opamp/buffers, or HiFiMan EF2 with Raytheon 6AK5 tubes). It will still beat ANY universal IEM I have ever heard (owned or tried), and most dynamic full-size phones (but not all).

PS: I am still actively working on my 3-way review of flagship custom IEM...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back