JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 26, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #2,446 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL Larry's a great guy and all, but he's just one point of view. I doubt people are waiting on his approval/review to purchase these.

I think this is more likely. And the ones that own them probably are too busy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed his will be just one point of view; but it will be a 3-way point of view that few, if any, get to behold. Customs can't be fully sampled. Unless you've already made the assumption that you will absolutely like the JH13 best it's smart to wait for more impressions (especially the ones that contain comparisons!) to come along.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #2,448 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyguy106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just like to share something weird which had just happened to my JH13.

I was plugging them in through my Ordnance DAC-1 (since my hifidiy.net DAC is still experiencing problems), then suddenly a surge came on and my JH13s popped twice, the volume doubled and it started hurting my ears.

Almost immediately I pulled them out of my ears and stopped the music. I retested whether they were working by playing the music again and adjusting volume on my computer to see if both sides were okay, then put them back on with the volume set lower.

The volume on the JH13 was back to before the two pops came along, but something weird happened.

The imaging and separation improved quite a bit. As I am listening to the recording of a jazz group based in Germany which did their recordings on a lousy video camera and posted it on youtube (they're pretty good a band), the soundstaging and imaging was very distinct, despite sounding a bit low-fi.

But everything became clearer, the imaging separation, and the notes came out even stronger.

Will be testing tomorrow morning whether it sounds like that on my portable rig as well. I was very glad my JH13 survived the surge, but am more surprised by this weird twist of improvement.

Completely unexpected.

I think its more likely that the DAC experienced a problem, rather than the fairly remote possibility of something strange happening in both earpieces of JH13 at exactly the same time and for exactly the same period. for the audio improvement....I have no comment

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #2,449 of 10,743
Quote:

I think this is more likely. And the ones that own them probably are too busy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Something like that
happy_face1.gif

To those who are waiting for their pair to arrive: hold on, they are worth the wait, your patience willy boldly be rewarded.

To those who are waiting for a certain review:
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #2,450 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something like that
happy_face1.gif

To those who are waiting for their pair to arrive: hold on, they are worth the wait, your patience willy boldly be rewarded.

To those who are waiting for a certain review:
tongue.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Iron_Dreamer.

Sage advice, on both counts.

However, I think this is the only way you will get any information out of Larry, before he's ready to publish the long awaited 3-way review:
Attachment 19040

PS:
Adam says my translucent black w/white JHA Logo in outline - should ship overnight, this week.

I can hang in there for another week...I think I can...I hope I can...
Oh crap!

This is hard!

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #2,451 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think its more likely that the DAC experienced a problem, rather than the fairly remote possibility of something strange happening in both earpieces of JH13 at exactly the same time and for exactly the same period. for the audio improvement....I have no comment

Agree with you. It was a surge from my DAC I believe.

About the improvement I was also very stunned. It might be my DAC suddenly popping into the right position (yeah right) or something. That's why I am about to test it with my portable rig this morning. It was rather stunning. I have no idea what happened...

More on this later.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #2,453 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure I would crack under water-boarding, but you'll never take me alive.

That is horrible! Give up the info first, then croak.

No, I need your signature to balance mine. :^)

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #2,454 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by naddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone that has these, how are they with Rap/Hip-Hop? Do they have enough quantity and punch for the type of music?

Rap/Hip-Hop is one of the few genres that I don't really listen to. Having said that, there's nothing I've heard that doesn't sound good on these.

And yes, they have enough (I assume you mean bass) quantity and punch for any type of music, methinks.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #2,455 of 10,743
Quote:

LOL Larry's a great guy and all, but he's just one point of view. I doubt people are waiting on his approval/review to purchase these.

You're mistaken in at least one instance.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure I would crack under water-boarding, but you'll never take me alive.

That's okay. All we need then is a good medium, or maybe just a ouija board.

Jul 27, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #2,456 of 10,743
i would ask what sort of rap and hip-hop you have been listening too. i found that modern american rap/hip hop is tuned for duffy bass and bloated stereos. for instance, my really really bassy wm2 from mingo doesn't sound quite like ti should with music from ice cube, but the monster beats tour does.

however, some older rap and rap from across the pond sounds phenomenal with most good earphones - but then its market is probably a bit different. any custom i have heard has been perfect with rap, but... then i don't generally listen to american rap which tends to have less bass resolution.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #2,457 of 10,743
Quote:

For anyone that has these, how are they with Rap/Hip-Hop? Do they have enough quantity and punch for the type of music?

I tell you, the JH13 is great with every genre. As for Rap/Hip-Hop/techno, they hit HARD and FAST, but very clean. Meanwhile, the highs and the mids do not get muddied up. I am NOT exaggerating here, trust me. The most amazing quality of the JH13, I think, is its ability to do everything right depending on the type of music you are listening to at the time. In the past 2 days, I have listened to jazz, classical, rap, pop, acoustic guitar, etc., everything sounded flawless.

Crazyguy106, somehow my JH13 really opened up since 2 days ago--I cannot explain it but I think I am pretty much experiencing what you are experiencing, minus the surge. I am also 100% positive that it has nothing to do with mental burn-in or me getting used to the sound; the difference I am hearing is too profound and real. In fact, I think Jamato's experience over the first few days he had these must be very close to what I have experienced in the past 2 days.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #2,458 of 10,743
^^ so what do we call it then?? ......'burst-in'

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #2,459 of 10,743
Can someone with Orpheus post a direct comparison between Sennheiser Orpheus and JH-13 Pro, thanks!

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #2,460 of 10,743
Quote:

Yes! And I have Ed 9 and D7000 to compare them too for these genres.

Regards

Sceptre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back