Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSC00385.jpg

Can the Titanium plate be done?
eek.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #2,432 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that's Jerry.

actually i realised that after i posted. perhaps after i cleaned my glasses things cleared up. what i meant by fake is that he looked like a cut out. i thought an actor or something, then i saw more closely and realised it must be mr. harvey...

oh bother, i feel stupid.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #2,433 of 10,743
I just want to report back after having put these things through the paces a bit.

First, they're extremely sensitive to amp signature. Using an adapter cable, I compared the balanced outs of the Lavry DA10* to those of my Beta 22. The solo DA10 sound was equally detailed, but thinner and less impactful. I found the bass more neutrally balanced using the Beta 22.

From the Beta 22, I also compared them to my XLR terminated K1000s using that same adapter cable for the JH-13s. I was surprised by the sense that the JH-13s sounded slightly faster, and very slightly more detailed in complex passages. In fact, I was skeptical enough of my own impression that I just compared the two again with a different song. I came to the same conclusion.

I do notice though, that my speaker setup better enables me to find the fundamental frequencies in a bass line from one of the songs I made. But this is true when comparing them to any of my headphones. Perhaps speakers still have a technical edge in this regard. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to use the S300id's Bel Canto DAC with my headphones, or the Lavry with my speakers. So I question the value of this observation.

*The balanced outputs of the DA10 are different, and clearly better than its front panel headphone jack. I say this after comparing them with an adapter that converts the balanced outs to a female quarter inch jack. By comparison, the headphone jack is bassy, congested, and less articulate. I first noticed this with my MD5000s. It's even more evident with the JH-13s.

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #2,435 of 10,743
Jerry came to my 1st (Inter) National Head-Fi meet back in 2006, where we had a panel discussion after the meet and dinner where we had Florian from Ultrasone, and a Sennheiser rep (his name eludes me) and Jerry and others answer questions submitted by Head-Fier's and moderated by Wes Philips of Stereophile.
Jerry is a stand-up guy and one of the hardest workers in the biz (next to Tyl, of course
tongue.gif
).
We have it in mpeg4. I'll see if I can find the link. It got lost in the crash of 2007.
It displays an insider's point of view of how things get developed and how the biz has progressed. Quite interesting.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #2,436 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jerry is a stand-up guy and one of the hardest workers in the biz (next to Tyl, of course
tongue.gif
).

Yes! Jerry and his dedication are just one of the many reasons to choose the Jh13. There is certainly a level of person customer service I would be shocked to receive from a large company like Logitech!
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #2,439 of 10,743
Could it be that everybody is waiting for Larry's review?

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #2,441 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone else get more than one cable?

yeah I ordered one of each, will use the second for some prototyping for my own.

I plan to use the JH13 as a benchmarking tool for testing different caps and interconnects in my various rigs, due to the transparency that from all reports oozes from these cans. I think that it along with my recabled HD600 will be good equipment for getting my buffalo32 to sound its best.

the very low level of hiss reported is very encouraging for testing fullsize amps as well. I hope I have them ready with a balanced cable by the time the next Sydney meet rolls round in a couple of weeks; it does look that way
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #2,442 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could it be that everybody is waiting for Larry's review?

LOL Larry's a great guy and all, but he's just one point of view. I doubt people are waiting on his approval/review to purchase these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or could it be we are all waiting for our Jh13's??

I think this is more likely. And the ones that own them probably are too busy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #2,443 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or could it be we are all waiting for our Jh13's??

yep; thats the story here, waiting im/patiently
L3000.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #2,444 of 10,743
I would just like to share something weird which had just happened to my JH13.

I was plugging them in through my Ordnance DAC-1 (since my hifidiy.net DAC is still experiencing problems), then suddenly a surge came on and my JH13s popped twice, the volume doubled and it started hurting my ears.

Almost immediately I pulled them out of my ears and stopped the music. I retested whether they were working by playing the music again and adjusting volume on my computer to see if both sides were okay, then put them back on with the volume set lower.

The volume on the JH13 was back to before the two pops came along, but something weird happened.

The imaging and separation improved quite a bit. As I am listening to the recording of a jazz group based in Germany which did their recordings on a lousy video camera and posted it on youtube (they're pretty good a band), the soundstaging and imaging was very distinct, despite sounding a bit low-fi.

But everything became clearer, the imaging separation, and the notes came out even stronger.

Will be testing tomorrow morning whether it sounds like that on my portable rig as well. I was very glad my JH13 survived the surge, but am more surprised by this weird twist of improvement.

Completely unexpected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back