JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #1,726 of 10,743
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey - HPA and Ed, I own then ES3X at the moment, and as you know I listen almost only to Classical music - would you recommend me to also get the JH-13? are they better for classical music?

Can you describe their sound signature in comperision? Are the 13 birhgter/warmer? flatter/less? smoother/less? more/less bassy? more/less transparent? more/less detailed? less/quicker?

If I own the ES3X is it smart to invest another 1K$ over the 13?

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #1,727 of 10,743
Some things I've noticed:
  1. The IEM's are a little smaller overall than the UE11.
  2. The form on my 13's don't closely follow on the top part (above my ear's flap) where the UE11's do. It doesn't seem that "the seal" is too important here. In fact, it makes it a bit easier to clean the middle of the IEM since there's more space between the stem and the top flappy protrusion. (Don't know the technical term for that bit...)
  3. The canal part that does form the seal is a bit tight on both sides. I think my ears are just used to the somewhat subpar fit of my UE11, and I should get used to this in a day or two. My fit seems really good.
  4. The stems do not seem to be as long as the UE11, which should make insertion and removal a little easy and more comfortable.
The detail through these things is simply astonishing. I'm listening to the Mega Movies album from Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra right now and it's really, really impressive. Everything sounds just as it should. The decays are perfect, the top end adds a realism that my UE11 does not have, and the bass is absolutely massive without overstepping its bounds. (I'm NOT missing the slightly forward bass of the UE11.)

I'll save more for when I've had a little more head time.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #1,728 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Heh, if I have to justify my expenditures in this hobby/avocation/addiction with an ROI theory, I am already toast.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #1,729 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its probably not smart at all, but very little we do here could actually be considered 'smart'.

So really, you're asking the WRONG people
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #1,730 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some things I've noticed:
  1. The IEM's are a little smaller overall than the UE11.
  2. The form on my 13's don't closely follow on the top part (above my ear's flap) where the UE11's do. It doesn't seem that "the seal" is too important here. In fact, it makes it a bit easier to clean the middle of the IEM since there's more space between the stem and the top flappy protrusion. (Don't know the technical term for that bit...)
  3. The canal part that does form the seal is a bit tight on both sides. I think my ears are just used to the somewhat subpar fit of my UE11, and I should get used to this in a day or two. My fit seems really good.
  4. The stems do not seem to be as long as the UE11, which should make insertion and removal a little easy and more comfortable.
The detail through these things is simply astonishing. I'm listening to the Mega Movies album from Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra right now and it's really, really impressive. Everything sounds just as it should. The decays are perfect, the top end adds a realism that my UE11 does not have, and the bass is absolutely massive without overstepping its bounds. (I'm NOT missing the slightly forward bass of the UE11.)

I'll save more for when I've had a little more head time.

Great.

Have you sold your pair of Edition 9 ?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #1,731 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its probably not smart at all, but very little we do here could actually be considered 'smart'.

So really, you're asking the WRONG people
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Where's the frickin' emoticon for laughing out loud blowing beer through my nose? OMG, that is so true!

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #1,732 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great.

Have you sold your pair of Edition 9 ?
rolleyes.gif

Heh not yet. I think I'll want to have the cable fixed up before I sell, but yeah I think I'm getting to that point.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #1,733 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh not yet. I think I'll want to have the cable fixed up before I sell, but yeah I think I'm getting to that point.

To be honest with you, I think that I am more happy with my new setup (JH13//Pico DAC//Mustang P-51) than I was with the Edition 9//Lavry DA10//Rudistor RPX-33.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #1,734 of 10,743
In my continuing game of S&M humiliation of my HD800s, I began a process today of listening first to music through my HD800s, and then listening to the 13s, to see if I could detect things with the 13s I could not hear with the 800s. In fairness, it did not start that way. I decided to do a new Max rip of the MFSL of Layla, and then sat back to listen on the HD800s. Thoroughly enjoyed that, and then said, "what the heck." Listened again through the 13s, and no big shock here, heard those things around cymbals, the guitar transients and decay, drum skins, vocal fluctuations, and soundstage that I have by now probably trained myself to hear with the 13s. Given the differences between the two form factors, etc., there is no way to trick myself into not knowing which one I am listening to. So, it may be true that psycho-acoustically, I can no longer objectively compare these two.......if I ever could. Still, there is no denying the greater enjoyment with the 13s. Kind of like choosing between great Cab and great Pinot. I always reach for the Pinot. And oh yeah, Clapton may or may not have been god, but Duane and that guitar were definitely the antichrist. Wow, what guitar.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #1,736 of 10,743
Here in Santa Rosa on Wed. we have a large market on a couple of streets, closed to vehicles of course. I was walking around this last Wed. and just enjoying the hell out of the music. There is live music and I stopped and listened for a short time. You know what, I enjoyed more what I was hearing on the 13's more and the live music was well done with some skilled professionals.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #1,737 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my continuing game of S&M humiliation of my HD800s, I began a process today of listening first to music through my HD800s, and then listening to the 13s, to see if I could detect things with the 13s I could not hear with the 800s. In fairness, it did not start that way. I decided to do a new Max rip of the MFSL of Layla, and then sat back to listen on the HD800s. Thoroughly enjoyed that, and then said, "what the heck." Listened again through the 13s, and no big shock here, heard those things around cymbals, the guitar transients and decay, drum skins, vocal fluctuations, and soundstage that I have by now probably trained myself to hear with the 13s. Given the differences between the two form factors, etc., there is no way to trick myself into not knowing which one I am listening to. So, it may be true that psycho-acoustically, I can no longer objectively compare these two.......if I ever could. Still, there is no denying the greater enjoyment with the 13s. Kind of like choosing between great Cab and great Pinot. I always reach for the Pinot. And oh yeah, Clapton may or may not have been god, but Duane and that guitar were definitely the antichrist. Wow, what guitar.

This is getting silly. Are the 13's really that good?

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #1,738 of 10,743
^^ it certainly sounds like it; almost everyone seems to be in agreement so far.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #1,739 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you guys believe that now we have a IEM that can truly compare against top shelf full size cans and doesn't need a ton of equipment behind it to get it there? *best head-fi purchase of the year!*

In terms of raw detail and sound quality yes these IEM's can compete with or even beat high end full size headphones and speakers but in terms of soundstage and the immersive feeling of being inside your music these IEM's cannot touch a headphone or even come remotely close to set of floor standing speakers.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #1,740 of 10,743
Do you own a pair or are you just stating an opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back