JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Mar 25, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #10,606 of 10,743
  It's good, but I get some hot spots after 4-5 hours of use. A bit of discomfort but not enough to annoy. One earpiece could be wiggled slightly while the other sat snug enough that I couldn't wiggle it when a seal is formed. Was thinking of sending them back for a refit, but I've waited ages for them, so I'll be living with what I have now.

Also, some minor itching sometimes. 

Refit turn around time is usually about a week to 10 days, so you wouldn't have to wait too long for that. If you're unsure and you're still within the 30 day refit guarantee, I'd consider getting a refit done, as the whole point of customs is that they fit perfectly. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #10,607 of 10,743
To those who want to improve the sound of your 13pro but without getting the FP, please look into the silver dragon upgrade. Still it isn't a substitute to the FP treatment but a nice improvement in clarity and tightness in sound over the original 13 pro.

I have the original 13 pro and using the silver dragon cable made a significant difference for the better.  It's hard to believe the 13 FP could be much better.  My only complaint with the original 13 is that sometimes I wish it possessed a little more "weight" to the sound.  In every other way, it has excellent clarity, separation etc. as compared to the full size cans I'm used to.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #10,608 of 10,743

Refit turn around time is usually about a week to 10 days, so you wouldn't have to wait too long for that. If you're unsure and you're still within the 30 day refit guarantee, I'd consider getting a refit done, as the whole point of customs is that they fit perfectly. 

Hmm...I might wait for a bit actually because of personal reasons my body weight is going down. But you're right, perfect fit is the whole point of customs.

My next step is probably aftermarket cables if I'm feeling peckish about the highs or if I need more body, otherwise I'm probably out of the CIEM game (not taking meets into factor). I expected that the 13 would sorta displace headtime from my Denon D5k, but I still reach for the D5k a lot (at home) because soundstage is still wider on them, and they're more relaxed. However I do put on the 13 when I want more immediacy, speed and if neighbors are being err neighbory, and of course when I'm on the go. 

The D5k and the 13 make a great duo, each doing one thing well; I get to relax with one and jam out with another; one for openness and the other for INYOURFACE; both headphones do the lows justice in very different ways. I can't see myself going for anything more (other than cables and a good DAP) but heading to planar land. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #10,609 of 10,743
  Hmm...I might wait for a bit actually because of personal reasons my body weight is going down. But you're right, perfect fit is the whole point of customs.

My next step is probably aftermarket cables if I'm feeling peckish about the highs or if I need more body, otherwise I'm probably out of the CIEM game (not taking meets into factor). I expected that the 13 would sorta displace headtime from my Denon D5k, but I still reach for the D5k a lot (at home) because soundstage is still wider on them, and they're more relaxed. However I do put on the 13 when I want more immediacy, speed and if neighbors are being err neighbory, and of course when I'm on the go. 

The D5k and the 13 make a great duo, each doing one thing well; I get to relax with one and jam out with another; one for openness and the other for INYOURFACE; both headphones do the lows justice in very different ways. I can't see myself going for anything more (other than cables and a good DAP) but heading to planar land. 

I feel the same way between my Sony MDR-7520 and JH13. Don't need anything else, except for maybe some day an open back full-size headphone, but that's low on my priorities list. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #10,610 of 10,743
Ok, forgive my first-time-CIEM-owner noobness, but it's been a week after I got my 13, a day ago, I was complaining about hotspot issues after 4+++ hours of eartime, however today I've worn my 13 from the moment I had breakfast in the morning and it's been many many hours now and the hot spot issues that I had, disappeared. I'm still wearing them now, listening to The Legend of Zelda: 25th Anniversary Special Orchestra CD, and it feels like an invisible orchestra playing in and around my ears, and it's really weird.
basshead.gif

Also, I want to ask about cable upgrades (swaps?), a few people have already mentioned the silver cable for the 13. From what I keep reading, it seems that silver usually adds energy to the highs?

Say if I were to swap in silver cables, would the specific make and brand of the cable matter, or if it's silver cables then it'll all sound about the same?

Anyone have any experience with other types of cables as well for the 13? Copper? Hybrids? Gold?

ps. I'm not going to purchase cables solely on comments and impressions, I will try to audition them with my 13 in a hifi store of course first, of course. Just want to hear about your experiences and impressions to help me focus on what I should look at more closely, thank you. 
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #10,611 of 10,743
Good luck with the cable thing. Folks tend to like whatever they buy. I went through a lot of them and ended up with a non litz hybrid that's no longer available. Another I liked was a pure silver TWAG V3. I think most pure silver cables will be a bit hot but the TWAG is heavier and fine stranded. Still leaner but not bright with good bass. I didn't care for the 1% gold/silver cables on this phone.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #10,612 of 10,743
  Good luck with the cable thing. Folks tend to like whatever they buy. I went through a lot of them and ended up with a non litz hybrid that's no longer available. Another I liked was a pure silver TWAG V3. I think most pure silver cables will be a bit hot but the TWAG is heavier and fine stranded. Still leaner but not bright with good bass. I didn't care for the 1% gold/silver cables on this phone.

+1 on the Whiplash.  I had an 8 conductor TWAG V3 on a set of Fitears, and was probably my all time fave!

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #10,614 of 10,743
  I tend to prefer 4 wire cables but each is different so I can't disagree with what I haven't heard.
beerchug.gif
That's a lot of wire!

4 wire for portability and storage is the way to go, with little to no sq difference.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #10,615 of 10,743
Looking forward to you guys who have the K10 as well as the JH13 chiming in with your comparisons, I know one guy was waiting for his k10 to come in.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #10,616 of 10,743
  Looking forward to you guys who have the K10 as well as the JH13 chiming in with your comparisons, I know one guy was waiting for his k10 to come in.

Hehe. Hello!

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #10,617 of 10,743
Hello guys, for those that did the freqphase upgrade on their non-fp jh13's, did they have to reshell it?

I understand that it is $350 + shipping for it but does that include any reshells that they might have to do?

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #10,618 of 10,743
don't know how useful my impressions are, but I've had the jh13-nonfp, jh16fp, and noble K10C. I really liked the jh13, only thing is that it required a lot of "babying." Needed the right amp with the right EQ to sound good, otherwise it was too bright and piercing for my tastes.
So I was annoyed I couldn't just plug it into anything and have it sound good, so I moved "up" to the jh16FP a year later. What I learned from this is that for a $1000+ investment, I probably should've demoed it before I bought it. I found the 100-200hz hump on the jh16fp really veiling, bloating, and dark. The jh16fp sounded great on acoustic or folky type music, but any sort of rock n roll or anything with a bass guitar I found it too muddy. Switching in a twag v3 and toxic silver poison helped, but still didn't like the sound sig. With the right EQ I could carve out the 100-200hz band and produce a sound sig I liked.
Sooo, saved up some money and looked to upgrade again. Originally I was going to just go to the roxanne's, but I learned my lesson and demoed them twice. A lot of the impressions on here for the roxanne are that its the best of both worlds JH13 highs and JH16 lows. I didn't really hear that when I demoed them. I found the roxanne's to be of a similar sig as the jh16, more detail and refinement in the lows but overall sounded veiled. And the wait time was like a year or something 

The Noble K10's I loved on first listen. Healthy bottom end, a nice lift in the 2-4khz region so the vocals sit above the rest of the mix, and a cut around the 7-8khz band to eliminate any and all sibilance. The K10's are by no means neutral, and actually I think if you like the JH13 you probably won't like the K10 because the highs are relatively tamed in comparison. But the K10's just sound good, all techno-babble aside

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back