JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #10,591 of 10,743
  When I listened on an ak240 without my own files or adjusting the bass controls on either, I slightly preferred the Angie but that really needs to be taken with a grain because of conditions. Others have clearly preferred the Layla and I could see that happening with another player or bass settings. What impressed me is that both had a rightness that transcends tonal balance and distortion about them. Highly informative, dynamic contrast, low floor, even balanced ease that's pretty rare. I also didn't have my jh13s with me that day to compare but with stock cables, I suspect I'd opt for the new models.

As for price, value is personal but the Angie, though not cheap, seems a bit of a steal to me.

Let us know what you discover when you try the lot.
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the info goodvibes.  My ears are definitely exicited.

One more thing before I go.  Have you heard the Roxannes?  I listened to them at Jerry Harvey's office in Apopka, FL.  I had my trusty AK 120II loaded up with demo files.

Long story short, I thought the Roxannes had great bass, but the high end was harsh and not what I was expecting at all.  The EQ on the 120 was off, but still the upper end was too much for me.  I've had the same experience with the Shure 846's.  If the Layla or the Angie sounds anything like the Roxanne, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Over and out.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #10,592 of 10,743
I haven't heard the earworks but did hear a standard jh13 before getting the fp and the fp is also a significant improvement on the original. If I were in the market right now, besides the 13fp, I'd also be looking at the Angie, Earworks, K10 etc. I think there's enough shows and CanJams where folks should wait for an opportunity and make an effort to give an actual listen before jumping in.

Exactly why I sent mine in to get upgraded to the FP; perhaps my drivers were even shot; listening to my pre-FP model (5 years old now...) they sounded dull, congested, muddy. Nothing at all like the FP, save for frequency response I suppose.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #10,593 of 10,743
  Thanks for all the info goodvibes.  My ears are definitely exicited.

One more thing before I go.  Have you heard the Roxannes?  I listened to them at Jerry Harvey's office in Apopka, FL.  I had my trusty AK 120II loaded up with demo files.

Long story short, I thought the Roxannes had great bass, but the high end was harsh and not what I was expecting at all.  The EQ on the 120 was off, but still the upper end was too much for me.  I've had the same experience with the Shure 846's.  If the Layla or the Angie sounds anything like the Roxanne, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Over and out.

I did hear them about a year back. They had the focus I like but didn't make me want to stray from my jh13fp overall. Thought the K10 had better tonality. I'd personally prefer the newer ones as they display both qualities quite well

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #10,595 of 10,743
I didn't find them harsh in a limited audition but I did find them a bit u shaped in sig. Something others like more than I do. I don't find my jh13s harsh either but they're FPs. I'm actually using a brighter than stock cable on them. It's not like I'm impervious to etch either. I couldn't enjoy with the highs of some overall VG phones like the B2 or GR07.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #10,596 of 10,743
To my ears the JH13 Pro FPs are slightly u shaped, and the Roxannes are the inverse; slightly n shaped (bass dial @ 9 o'clock for me). I quite enjoy switching between the two because of this.

Really looking forward to the delivery of my K10s - I'm hoping for something in the middle!

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #10,597 of 10,743
 Could be the way the midbass is perceived by different individuals. Most phones with bass extension have a bit more extra midbass reaching the mids than the jh13fp. I also didn't adjust the bass control when I auditioned and I'm sure it was at least a bit higher than that. I think you'll like the tonality of the k10. It's a tad warm but in a good way and with a touch of sparkle on top to balance it.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #10,598 of 10,743
...that's what I keep reading, and why I finally sent impressions to Noble. 

I don't like having too many IEMs so I'll probably lose the JH13FPs once the K10 arrives. I find the Roxanne the more 'grown up' of the two. The JH13FP sound a little light and thin in comparison (though I still think bass is better on the JH13 than the Roxanne, regardless of bass dial setting). 

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #10,599 of 10,743
Exactly why I sent mine in to get upgraded to the FP; perhaps my drivers were even shot; listening to my pre-FP model (5 years old now...) they sounded dull, congested, muddy. Nothing at all like the FP, save for frequency response I suppose.

My thought on my original 13pro exactly. Now I am extremely happy with my 13pro FP version. To those who want to improve the sound of your 13pro but without getting the FP, please look into the silver dragon upgrade. Still it isn't a substitute to the FP treatment but a nice improvement in clarity and tightness in sound over the original 13 pro.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #10,600 of 10,743
Thinking about what that cable sounded like on my FPs, I'd agree. However, I still slightly preferred the stock cable on the newer model. The stock cable is a wee bit dry and hazy but most of the aftermarket cables I tried were not overall better and had some detracting characteristics as well.

I finally found one (2) I like. What I'm using now was from an individual on BST that can no longer be reached. I believe he ran out of stock of the silver portion of the hybrid design. It's rather fragile and actually a bit brighter than stock. I bought it 6" long and can rebuilt the ends myself so I'm good. It was also only $50. As I recall, when I was rotating through them, the TWAG all silver V3 was quite good as well. I would have gone back to it but this is working so.....
smile.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #10,601 of 10,743
  ...that's what I keep reading, and why I finally sent impressions to Noble. 

I don't like having too many IEMs so I'll probably lose the JH13FPs once the K10 arrives. I find the Roxanne the more 'grown up' of the two. The JH13FP sound a little light and thin in comparison (though I still think bass is better on the JH13 than the Roxanne, regardless of bass dial setting). 

Why we're all different. I find the Roxanne and k10 a bit on the full side. Try the Noble cable on the 13s when you get it. May warm them up enough for you.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #10,602 of 10,743
After 100++ hours of burn, I got quite a bit more extension on both ends now. Very happy :D

Also, I could finally hear that clarity that everyone was talking about. 

As opposed to over-ear headphones, I feel like the JH13 images almost like a sphere of music with a multitude of shifting wall segments that represent different frequencies encasing my head. Most of what I get with the music I listen to makes the 'music sphere' feel more like a series of curved walls surrounding me in a semicircle with the base of the wall heavy and curved in, almost buttress like. The mids present themselves quite forward, but they shift towards and away from me depending on the music. The ceiling of the 'music sphere' sort of sparks and glimmers, imagewise; they don't draw much attention but when they do, it shines well, maybe just a tad less bright than I would've prefered, and I can see why it could be slightly harsh sometimes. 

Initially, I felt that I should've waited for the Angie (ordered the 13 a month before they were available), many people are saying that it combines the 13 and the Roxanne (leaning more towards the 13) and it's more relaxed than the 13, but after using my 13 for a few days (after burn in) in the wild I think that I prefer slightly more forward sounding headphones as part of my portable solution.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #10,603 of 10,743
  After 100++ hours of burn, I got quite a bit more extension on both ends now. Very happy :D

As opposed to over-ear headphones, I feel like the JH13 images almost like a sphere of music with a multitude of shifting wall segments that represent different frequencies encasing my head. Most of what I get with the music I listen to makes the 'music sphere' feel more like a series of curved walls surrounding me in a semicircle with the base of the wall heavy and curved in, almost buttress like. The mids present themselves quite forward, but they shift towards and away from me depending on the music. The ceiling of the 'music sphere' sort of sparks and glimmers, imagewise; they don't draw much attention but when they do, it shines well, maybe just a tad less bright than I would've prefered, and I can see why it could be slightly harsh sometimes. 

Initially, I felt that I should've waited for the Angie (ordered the 13 a month before they were available), many people are saying that it combines the 13 and the Roxanne (leaning more towards the 13) and it's more relaxed than the 13, but after using my 13 for a few days (after burn in) in the wild I think that I prefer slightly more forward sounding headphones as part of my portable solution.

Should upgrade to litz silver cable, it does improve mine to certain degrees, going with TRRS balanced soon

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #10,604 of 10,743

How is the fit?

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #10,605 of 10,743

How is the fit?

It's good, but I get some hot spots after 4-5 hours of use. A bit of discomfort but not enough to annoy. One earpiece could be wiggled slightly while the other sat snug enough that I couldn't wiggle it when a seal is formed. Was thinking of sending them back for a refit, but I've waited ages for them, so I'll be living with what I have now.

Also, some minor itching sometimes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back