JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Dec 2, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #10,426 of 10,747

No,  I'd say the JH13 is not for you. 
No one hears it that way.  You are the first person on HF that described the JH13 as too warm with bloated bass.

Perhaps the UERM instead?

Thanks. Everyone's reference is different, I guess. :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #10,427 of 10,747
They can sound like that and a bunch of other ways as well. They do have some extra low end rising below 100hz and it can become prodigious is the fit partially blocks a bore and loses some highs. When listening in a quiet environment, I'd prefer about 3db less low bass but on the go which is how i use iems, it's really good. We've had it described as everything from bass heavy to too analytical to peaky on top to rolled off to mid forward to U shaped. Maybe it's not the phone and it lacks enough of a sig to assimilate it's source or show less than perfect fit. Maybe not and it just not right for some. Maybe something that sound 'right' on almost everything has a 'sig' that accommodates that perspective. Hard to be certain. Listen to stuff and buy what works for you. Wiggle them about and see if the treble picks up. If not, get the uerm. There may still be a deal on them at a group buy site.

For me the 13 has a bit extra deep bass that's a little round and a natural balance beyond. A lot of IEMs sound souped up in the treble to me. Thing is, when I hear Charlie Haden play his bass through them with a really good device and file, it still sounds more like his instrument in that space than any other IEM I've heard. Not so much when the file or source isn't as good but I can still enjoy them with an Ipod or clip.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #10,428 of 10,747
To me they sorely lack MIDBASS.  So many IEM's have too much midbass but JH13 takes it to the other extreme.

It's what makes the treble sound so extended.  It's what makes the detail and transparency so insane.  But it also gives the overall presentation as cold and a sort of clinical-ness to it.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #10,429 of 10,747
^^^ This rather proved goodvibes point that these seem to not be all things to all people.
I would not accuse Jh13 of lacking midbass. I would suspect poor seal.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #10,430 of 10,747
^^^ This rather proved goodvibes point that these seem to not be all things to all people.
I would not accuse Jh13 of lacking midbass. I would suspect poor seal.

That or they have terrible quality control and every JH13 sounds different :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #10,431 of 10,747
I'm probably exaggerating but the lack of mid bass really accentuates the sub bass.....very deep and textured and also makes the midrange super crystal clear like Ety level.

JH13 is the fastest most transparent IEM I have ever stuck in my ears.  Almost off the charts.  I just prefer a more organic warmer sound  (JH16).

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #10,432 of 10,747
Received my JH13 a couple of days ago. They look great and the fit is perfect.

I'm finding them annoyingly sibilant. I've been listening to Westone W40, W60 and Roxanne recently so I was expecting a thinner, brighter sound, but not such sibilance.

Does anyone else find this? Do I need to persevere until I'm used to the sound? Do the 13s smooth out over time?

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #10,434 of 10,747

That or they have terrible quality control and every JH13 sounds different :)

Thought crossed my mind as well but in that case you'd think we'd get a lot more posts about channel matching beyond fit issues. Could also have something to do with fit. May just be that there is a common resonance at a certain distance from an ear drum. Mine are a rather shallow fit, I don't hear any sibilance and I am genuinely sensitive. For instance when I had PL50s and a rockboxed Clip, even though I don't generally like EQ, I pulled down a narrow band at 2350hz a few db before I ever saw a frequency graph. Otherwise It was just a bit too glassy to fully enjoy. I also rear vented them(touchy). Ya, I'm a geek.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #10,435 of 10,747
I'm very sensitive to sibilance and don't have that issue. Maybe run them in a bit and try another source though I think that Hugo is great. They do change over the 1st 100 hrs. I couldn't stay with things like the B2 or GR07 due to sibilance and have no issues here. 

I find them sibilant with the Hugo, and even the warmer AK120. I'll run them in and keep listening for a few weeks to see if I hear any differences.

I agree about the Hugo - it sounds wonderful with my Roxannes. It's my favourite audio purchase to date.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #10,437 of 10,747
Seems like all BAs do somewhere. Jerry says his are a proprietary version of a TWFK that he claims are faster so perhaps that normal resonance is higher. In that case deeper insertion would compound it. It's really hard to know what's going on without a graph and even then it's sometimes difficult as it seems all the multi BAs have curve aberrations. It's odd that we don't have any frequency response/phase curves of the JH13fp.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #10,438 of 10,747
  Received my JH13 a couple of days ago. They look great and the fit is perfect.

I'm finding them annoyingly sibilant. I've been listening to Westone W40, W60 and Roxanne recently so I was expecting a thinner, brighter sound, but not such sibilance.

Does anyone else find this? Do I need to persevere until I'm used to the sound? Do the 13s smooth out over time?

Mine have the opposite problem. I get so much midrange and bass that I am hoping there's more treble. 

I did realize that I could get a pretty decent sound if I made sure I didn't insert it so deep. 

In your case (as mentioned above) a deeper insertion might assist with that. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #10,440 of 10,747
The fit I have with the JH13s are perfect - and v deep. The bass is full, prominent and also deep. 

I was expecting a flatter sound - what I'm hearing is V shaped.

I had a decent listening session for a couple of hours yesterday and am appreciating the clarity. The sibilance wasn't quite so harsh. What I'm thinking is this: I'm so used to the ultra-smooth, mid-focused W40 and Roxanne that the JH13s' pronounced bass and treble sounds different to my ears; I'm not used to the signature. I think I just need time to adjust to the new sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back