JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Nov 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #10,411 of 10,747
I take it that means you prefer the 13's over the UERM's?

Actually no. The reason I don't use the uerm as often is that it doesn't fit as well and it's so much of a hassle to take a day off just to get impressions done. If my uerm fit as well as my jh13 I would take the uerm any day without hesitation

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #10,412 of 10,747
Actually no. The reason I don't use the uerm as often is that it doesn't fit as well and it's so much of a hassle to take a day off just to get impressions done. If my uerm fit as well as my jh13 I would take the uerm any day without hesitation

What do you like more about the UERM vs. the JH13?

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #10,413 of 10,747

Interesting. I would also like to know more.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #10,414 of 10,747
Well it's sound signature preference. the jh13 is a very good ciem and respected my many here however it is a bit warm for my tastes. The uerm has better midrange and a smooth treble which usually isn't the case in brighter sound signature. I do consider the jh13 the better ciem but preferences wise the uerm wins every time.

It's similar to the sr007 and sr009 to me. Both are very good however some like one while someone else like the other. Neither is a bad choice.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #10,415 of 10,747
Well it's sound signature preference. the jh13 is a very good ciem and respected my many here however it is a bit warm for my tastes. The uerm has better midrange and a smooth treble which usually isn't the case in brighter sound signature. I do consider the jh13 the better ciem but preferences wise the uerm wins every time.

It's similar to the sr007 and sr009 to me. Both are very good however some like one while someone else like the other. Neither is a bad choice.
I've always felt that the bass of the 13 has a softness to it. I am told though that may be the source. I loved the bass on a demo 16 but felt that it was too bass centric. When my wallet recovers next year I would like to try for a CIEM that combines the strengths of the 13 and 16. From what I read the Rox is not necessarily it. Do you reckon the UERM is in that league? Sorry to put you on the spot. Just curious.

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #10,416 of 10,747
I've always felt that the bass of the 13 has a softness to it. I am told though that may be the source. I loved the bass on a demo 16 but felt that it was too bass centric. When my wallet recovers next year I would like to try for a CIEM that combines the strengths of the 13 and 16. From what I read the Rox is not necessarily it. Do you reckon the UERM is in that league? Sorry to put you on the spot. Just curious.

When I demoed both the UERM and the JH13 at CanJam what I noticed most of all was that the JH13 got my head bobbing, whereas the UERM did not. Perhaps not a very detailed description of the differences, but it's in the end what made me go for the JH13 vs. the UERM (and other CIEMs I tried at the show). The JH13 just seemed a bit more engaging, perhaps a bit more musical to me. Granted, audio memory is notoriously unreliable, but I should receive my JH13 hopefully within the next 2 weeks and then I'll know for sure if what I heard at CanJam was correct. And either way, there's no going back anymore :)

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #10,417 of 10,747
Musicality is what drew me to the 13's. I am sure there are more accurate out there but I like the fact that Jerry Harvey deliberately voiced the 13's to be more enjoyable to listen to.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #10,418 of 10,747

I've heard a jh16 demo a few times and I'd say the strength is well the bass. The uerm is a different sound signature so that's a pretty easy no.

I know I'm in the minority here as not as many like the uerm compared to other ciem. It is a studio monitor first and a listening tool second. It doesn't have the head bobbing, toe tapping and similar traits that other ciems have but every time I've geared towards a signature that is not more neutral I get bored after a while and come back to neutral. While I don't consider the jh13 neutral I would say it's pretty well balanced and I love the jh13. It offers a nice middle ground for me in that it's not overly analytical but still having the details and that it is not a bass head iem but still plenty in that area too. The jh13 and the uerm are the best impulse buys I've ever made in this hobby and I'm never buying another ciem and have no desire to

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #10,419 of 10,747
hi folks,

i'm close to pulling the trigger on the jh13pro and am also leaning towards getting a balanced setup for travel.
Any thoughts/observations on balanced vs. unbalanced sound of the jh13pro?
Anyone pairing it with the RSA lightning?

Happy turkey day everyone!

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #10,420 of 10,747
I find the jh13 (non fq) too warm and the bass a bit bloated. Will the fq be much different?

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #10,422 of 10,747
I find the jh13 (non fq) too warm and the bass a bit bloated. Will the fq be much different?

I don't find the bass bloated. I do find that the amount of sub-bass is a lot and treble is recessed. Funnily enough there's still a lot of detail in the sound but it wasn't what I expected. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #10,423 of 10,747
FWIW. I am not keen on the bass of the 13fp. I would describe it as soft. I am told on here that this may well be down to source (iPhone 5s). Bass is not bloated IMO. It doesn't bleed into other frequencies and there is much else to enjoy about the JHA 13fp.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #10,424 of 10,747
Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I have a seal that is so good it almost hurts and it's very deep. I get a monstrous amount of sub bass. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #10,425 of 10,747
FWIW. I am not keen on the bass of the 13fp. I would describe it as soft. I am told on here that this may well be down to source (iPhone 5s). Bass is not bloated IMO. It doesn't bleed into other frequencies and there is much else to enjoy about the JHA 13fp.

Maybe bloated is the wrong word- soft perhaps. It certainly doesn't have the punch that the bass on my 846s have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back