JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jan 9, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #8,431 of 10,747

Quote:
Just wanted to post a quick picture of my new JH13's that I received on Tuesday, the picture also shows my crystal piccolino cable and the 13's just sound amazing with this cable. My TWAg OM has nothing on the piccolino. I have also had my 16's for a few months now.

I'd have a piccolino cable if they didn't cost so freaking much!

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #8,432 of 10,747
I wish you guys lived close to me just so I can they this cable. 
I Craig's TWag and Ken's OCC they significantly improve the sound over the stock (sorry cable non-believers).
I recently bought Justin's Silver Dragon to go along with Ray's balanced SR-71B and I know that the SR-71B balanced amp is an amazing amp, but coupled with the balanced Silver Dragon, it is the best portable sound that I have, with an iMod, an OCC mini LOD and the SD cable hooked up to the JH-13's. I'd really like to compare it with the piccolino cable. If anyone wants to do a one week trade, please let me know.

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #8,434 of 10,747

Quote:
I wish you guys lived close to me just so I can they this cable. 
I Craig's TWag and Ken's OCC they significantly improve the sound over the stock (sorry cable non-believers).
I recently bought Justin's Silver Dragon to go along with Ray's balanced SR-71B and I know that the SR-71B balanced amp is an amazing amp, but coupled with the balanced Silver Dragon, it is the best portable sound that I have, with an iMod, an OCC mini LOD and the SD cable hooked up to the JH-13's. I'd really like to compare it with the piccolino cable. If anyone wants to do a one week trade, please let me know.

do you have al three of those the TWag, ALO and the silver dragon? if so, which do you think is better?

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #8,435 of 10,747
1k for a iem cable really ? Using my rationality I can't find any explanation for the price given the materials it uses.. is it made of diamond or some special nasa material ?

Sure I belive it can sound a bit better than stock but the materials used should be worth 20$ or so..
I think I'm in the wrong business.

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #8,436 of 10,747

Quote:
Quote:
do you have al three of those the TWag, ALO and the silver dragon? if so, which do you think is better?

Can't include the Silver Dragon in the comparison because it is the 4-pin balanced version. The Whiplash TWag and ALO OCC are extremely close enough that I switch between the two and can't tell the difference.

Quote:
If you was in the UK I would have happily lent you it for a week or two but shipping to the states which i just checked works out at about $120 with a good service and a really would not risk it with the cheaper royal mail service.Have you tried the Alo Rx and do you think the SR-71B balanced is a good improvement?

Thanks for the thought, man. I appreciate it.
As much as I like the ALO RX II, the balanced SR-71B is superior to every other amp that I have or used to own. Headphones like to be balanced, no doubt. I have never heard a headphone balanced that didn't sound better than the non-balanced version when talking about better headphones. All it takes is about 10 seconds to hear the difference.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #8,437 of 10,747
Parrots, I remember in the TWag thread, there was a person or post that said the TWag sound better than the Piccolino.  I didn't go back to find the post but it was there.  Thanks for the picture and the beautiful diamond charm.  I have a custom made diamond charm that I could use as a choke and you gave the the inspiration to do just that. It is a beautiful piece of jewelry--black diamond choke on 99.9999 pure OCC silver.   But could you expound a little on the difference between the Piccolino and the TWag om?

On more thing, do you know what gauge is your piccolino cable?  is it 22, 24, or 26?  I always wanted my TWag cable to be heavier than 26 awg.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #8,438 of 10,747

Quote:

TWAg has nothing on the piccolino, the piccolino sounds so much better and I have both, my TWAg was burned in for 800hrs but the piccolino sounded much better the first minute I used it and has got better after burn in, I'm not real good at explaining sound and only been in this hobby for under a year but with the piccolino everything sounds so much clearer and I can hear more detail in the music, when I first heard this cable my first though was that this is how music should sound. I was just blown away.I have no idea what gauge the cable is but if you like I can take a picture of it next to the TWAg cable and post it here in the morning if that would be any help.

No please don't trouble yourself with the picture.  Just tell me is the Piccolino heavier than the TWag?  By the way, where did you buy the Piccolino?  Thanks.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #8,439 of 10,747

Quote:

I just had a look at both the wires and the piccolino is thicker then the TWAg but where the TWAg uses 4 wires the piccolino only uses 2 and the piccolino is actually also quite a bit heavier and both do use the same jacks.

Parrots, the thickness of the Piccolino may be misleading as the thickness can come from the shielding as the picture shows.  With the TWag, you can actually see the actual wire/strand.  So it may not be a good comparison unless you can compare the cores directly.  On  second thoughts, you could do a real good experiment, if you have the chance to go to a meet, all you need is have people that have the jh13 or jh16 and do a blind test on them and let them rank the ALO OCC, the TWag and the Piccolino and post the results.  I think that will raise some eye brows.  I have the TWag and the ALO OCC cable, but if I have the Piccolino I will definitely run such a study.  Thanks.  By the way, where do you buy the Piccolino?

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #8,440 of 10,747

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can't include the Silver Dragon in the comparison because it is the 4-pin balanced version. The Whiplash TWag and ALO OCC are extremely close enough that I switch between the two and can't tell the difference. 
thanks for the comparison mtbiker. im just curious about the silver dragon cable being used balanced, i know alot of people do it, not just with IEM's but with fullsized cans as well. But it just seems like it using silver for the "hot" wire and copper for the ground works for single ended use just fine, but actively driving both wires i would think that it would cause a problem. cause i was thinking about picking one up when i get the 71b

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #8,441 of 10,747
Thanks, that is the reasons for the blind fold, so to control for the psychological effects.  It's in the mixed after you spent $1000.00 plus on a cable, you just want it to sound better than the others.  Your brother may not be an experience or critical hifier and as such may not have the discriminant ability to tell the difference between cables.  Please post your results if you have the chance to do it.  Thanks again. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #8,442 of 10,747
I would buy it in a minute if it just got rid of the sound of my feet hitting the ground when i use my 13's, if i have a seal footsteps are as loud as the music, if not louder.  The only way to get rid of the noise is to unseal them and loose the bass completely, which i  occasionally do.  I wouldn't even care if they made the sound quality better, if they just got rid of the thumping of walking i would pay.  Oh well, i have to continue only using them when sitting still, no need to upgrade cable when a slight change in SQ is secondary to the thumping.
confused_face.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #8,443 of 10,747

Quote:

I don't think the price of a cable changes ones hearing and I can certainly here the difference, what your saying is like people would like the UE18 over the JH16 because the latter is more expensive but that is not the case. I trust me hearing and if I thought a $10 cable sounded better then I would use that.Every single person I have read of here that has tried or own the piccolino has clearly said they preferred it over any of the other cables the have heard so this is not just me saying it.Anyway I will be taking it to the meet so will see what other people have to say.I also have line out docks and other interconnects that are made of pure 24k solid gold wire but I still prefer ones less then half that price.

If you think you can control placebo effect, more power to you then.  But placebo effect is really, on average 30 to 70% of people who participate in drug test feel better after taking sugar pills.  That is why double blind studies is a requirement for a drug to past FDA approval.  

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #8,444 of 10,747
Jalo, please dont argue with blind test, just accept that parrots and other people hear differences between cables( Me included, I really like TWAG).  If I bought something and thanks to it I enjoy sound more, I dont need to prove it by blind test to you or even to myself.

Blind test isnt answer to everything, you can found blind tests where rig costing 500$ sound same as rig costing 12K$, maybe if we do blind test comparing JH13 with Sennheiser CX300 with custom tip, we will discover that they also sound same. I dont use blind test and I dont believe in results of blind test.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 10, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #8,445 of 10,747

Quote:
I would buy it in a minute if it just got rid of the sound of my feet hitting the ground when i use my 13's, if i have a seal footsteps are as loud as the music, if not louder.  The only way to get rid of the noise is to unseal them and loose the bass completely, which i  occasionally do.  I wouldn't even care if they made the sound quality better, if they just got rid of the thumping of walking i would pay.  Oh well, i have to continue only using them when sitting still, no need to upgrade cable when a slight change in SQ is secondary to the thumping.
confused_face.gif

Time to invest in Hush Puppies or a shoe with Vibram bottoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back