JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #5,191 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found that a small alcohol prep pad (found in most office first aid kits) works pretty well for a general surface cleaning of custom IEM's. A bit quicker than a moist paper towl

I've always heard that alcohol free is the right way to go, as alcohol will shorten the useful life of the customs. Though that's probably more critical with silicone or vinyl than all acrylic. I use alcohol free baby wipes for my silicone custom tips, and plan to do the same thing for customs.

Natural Care Baby Wipes | Walgreens

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #5,192 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I don't have the top amps at my disposal, I will say that even from the formidable graham slee voyager, or more powerful travagan's red, the jh13Pro induces a lot of distortion at the amp level. I would imagine that even more powerful amps may do better, but have a doubt that they will be that much more controlled when driving the jh13Pro. In fact, while the iem may be able to scale up much higher, it is likely held back because headphone amps aren't able to perform well enough.

it seems at intervals which may represent crossover networks. I am sure that an amp which can drive the JH13Pro at amp levels to 0 dbl across all frequencies and maintain a good stereo separation (none of which I am convinced is possible with conventional headphone amps) will make the iem sound even better, but no one can experience that yet.

it might be a project for amp builders. Not only to make an amp which drives dynamic headphones to 0 dbl, low distortion, and good separation, but an amp which can do the same for multi-balanced armatures.

if the JH13Pro have this problem imprinted on amps, i can only imagine what the Fit Ear 668 (6 voice cross over 6 units, 8 receivers) does!

This link refers to a review of the Fireye II amd/DAC, but every amp I have tested, whether mains or battery powered, has suffered the same frequency response when driving the jh13Pro. Suffice to say that when something can properly drive the JH13Pro, be prepared to hear a completely different iem. Again, for reference only I included only the Fireye II. All amps perform reasonably within the same bounds. The RMAA shots are about halfway down the review.

Lots 'o folks are driving their IEMs with high-end desktop amps from SP, WOO, GD, DNA. While it's fun driving them as a portable, I find my ES3X are reference level when driven by my DNA Sonett. I've heard other's have similar results with the JH13. It's really worth it, IMHO.

BTW, my ears give out WAY before the DNA Sonett is driven into distortion!

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #5,193 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always heard that alcohol free is the right way to go, as alcohol will shorten the useful life of the customs. Though that's probably more critical with silicone or vinyl than all acrylic. I use alcohol free baby wipes for my silicone custom tips, and plan to do the same thing for customs.

Natural Care Baby Wipes | Walgreens

For cleaning my ES3X's, i use a non-alcohol audio equipment wipe which works really well. For hard acrylic customs, i use 3% hydrogen peroxide to wipe down the monitors as i find it gets rid of any grease, making it clean and shiny also killing any bacteria that might've built up overtime.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #5,194 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do know someone here with a Woo, so my next object is to see if I can manage a 'borrow' of it for desktop listening and testing.

Cheers

I don't know if it matters but mine has the Pseudo Dual Power Supply mod.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #5,196 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do these no longer come with the cleaning solution? Got mine yesterday and all that was in the box was the headphones, the otterbox, a manual, and the little brush/hook tool to remove wax from the tubes. If they don't come w/ the cleaning solution, where can I buy some or what around-the-house substitute can I use?

So this is kinda a weird post from a guy who was anxiously posting about fit and finish and whether or not he'd like them. Happybottle, you got them and you post about cleaning solution?
tongue.gif
Do they fit? Do you like them?

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #5,197 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by JH Audio on Facebook
The first 10 people mention @JHAudio will receive a code for $100 off their JH13 order at our web store! Good Luck!

For anyone using Twitter who is waiting to buy and is willing to send a direct message to them. Sadly I've already been charged so this won't be any help for me so I'll just throw this out here. According to JHA, "got a couple to go still!" as of seven minutes ago.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #5,198 of 10,747
God damn, i so want a second pair.

Seriously, the JH13 are so out there that i want one for the house and one to travel with.

Even though i have yet to put them on outside, because frankly, its like going to a opera in shorts .

Every time i put these on, its like an event i go to and i need to be still, concentrated and relaxed. I cant see myself listening in the tube or at the office, it feels wrong somehow.

I just listened out of my 3GS for the last 30mins and its like discovering music all over again, i can't fathom what these babies are capable of with a top class amp. Next step for me has to be a Woo or Audio-GD headamp.

Cheers
Xavier

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #5,202 of 10,747
lol I feel like such an idiot...never knew how to tweet before (just made an account)

Didn't really want to make an account...facebook,myspace, text messages, email...how many ways must people be able to reach me?!

Heh...anyways, if this goes through, hoping to finally be on board! How much does it cost to get custom art? The website says nothing about it...

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #5,203 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by royhendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rules them out til my 40th birthday in that case (5 years' time). Unless they get a dealer in the UK that is.

I've got a new set of ACS T1s this week, so I'm curious on how good these are. The T1s, to my mind, fit the descriptions of the JH13s thus far, save for the degree of neutrality and the breadth and depth of the headstage. The consensus seems to be that these truly rival traditional cans/speakers on that front.

I love the way this industry is going. This site's played a big part in improving the quality of my commuting time (and since that's 25 hours a week, that means it's played a massive role in improving my life as a whole).

My ultimate would be the kind of performance people are talking about on this thread coupled with the T1's comfort and seal, which on my set are perfect. The seal never breaks. I'll be wearing them for 7 and 8 hours at a time twice a weekend, and then for maybe 3 hours a day each working weekday... so comfort and seal are important, not least from a hearing protection perspective.

Anyway, blah blah. I'm really enjoying this thread and one day I'll own some of these, or an equivalent if other manufacturers manage to step up to the mark.

I considered the T1 also as I live in UK. After hearing what a custom silicon mold did to the sparkle of an IE8 I wanted a 'solid' path from transducer to ear. I never heard the T1 but feared the same attenuation as th e IE8 molds.

Very glad you like the T1 but for what was the same price, I chose JH13. ACS almost offered me a job when I saw them at a motorbike show. They could go a long way (watch their Apple tie up about to hit!).

Regards

Sceptre

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #5,204 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
l
Heh...anyways, if this goes through, hoping to finally be on board! How much does it cost to get custom art? The website says nothing about it...

Unless something's changed, $50.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #5,205 of 10,747
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but just thought I'd let everyone know that JH Audio are now charging your credit card shortly after you lodge your order. (or at least they have to me).

It was indicated earlier in this thread that they charged after the headphone was built and shipped, but that seems no longer the case.

i guess it's good to get that "wallet pain" sooner rather than later....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back