JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #3,421 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every listen to "good" live music? It has it all, balanced and doesn't leave you wanting in any area. Enter the JH 13 Prooooo.

Unfortunately, I've not had the pleasure of hearing many musical acts "live" in a quality-sounding environment. So I'll profess my ignorance in this department and, therefore, have no basis for comparison.

Thanks.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #3,422 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The material they use [UE, JH and Westone] doesn't become yellow.
wink.gif

That's what they all said.

Well, i mean just in case, and what if you're a Sensaphonics owner? right? Come on someone find out about hydrogen peroxide!

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #3,423 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I've ever come across an audiophile component review/impression that is going to be as in depth as the one you're working on. I've read so many of all kinds: DACs, amps (mostly SS), crazy mods of all sorts, and full-size hp's and iems; but this one, I may actually have to take the time to grind some coffee beans, french press them, and then sit down to sip and enjoy while reading. (Not a fan of popcorn, sorry.) You said at least 5.5 pages in MS Word, right? Wow... I'll start roasting the beans when the sun comes up. They can sit up to a week after roasting, before losing too much freshness. Oh no, didn't mean to give you a due date!
tongue.gif

How do you know I'm not just typing up one paragraph of rubbish a day over the past 3-4 weeks? It could all add up to a steaming pile of poo. (okay, maybe not)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance that it can be finished by this weekend? Not to rush you but I need to go for a trip the coming Monday and will not able to access the Internet for 10 days. It would be a really big miss if I can't read your review on the day it come out
wink.gif

Probably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My review on the TakeT was 17,000 words or so including forum code. About 35 pages in word at size 12 font.

The longest (and by far and away the single best, utterly outclassing everything else) headphone review is Darth Nuts review of the SR-007. Theres a link to a PDF of it in my signature. Everybody should be required to read it who is in this hobby. It's an education.

All excellent reads as well. This will not match those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Asr's review on the Pico. 12 pages if my memory serves right
beerchug.gif

That was very good as well - for some reason Asr wasn't happy with either his review or the response to it and it got pulled, then reposted, then maybe pulled again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Then HPA's will be 120 pages long! Ah! Right, HPA?

HPA?

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he could write a book, "idiot's guide to JH13pro" with 120 pages.

A BIG no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense but you really make me think of a kid waiting for candies from his mom.
I've seen a lot headphones' fanboys but this is the first time I see reviewer's fanboy.

Larry, you should finish your review soon or else there'll be a lot tears.

I know, I'm kinda enjoying the tears.

Quote:

Every listen to "good" live music? It has it all, balanced and doesn't leave you wanting in any area. Enter the JH 13 Prooooo.

Amplified music or real acoustic instruments that aren't dependent on a guitar stack's and PA's particular sound?

I hate live concerts where at the real concert everything is colored by the speakers reproducing the sound - sometimes the recording through the mixer actually sounds better!

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #3,424 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amplified music or real acoustic instruments that aren't dependent on a guitar stack's and PA's particular sound?

I hate live concerts where at the real concert everything is colored by the speakers reproducing the sound - sometimes the recording through the mixer actually sounds better!

Yep, I went to an outdoor concert for classical music. Amplified!! What rubbish, I walked out. edit: the area was not large and the acoustical playing could easily be heard without amplification. I even asked them if they cold play without amplification, at least once, . . . as stated, I walked.

Good acoustical not caustic instruments. I do enjoy some good Grateful Dead live music recordings though. It is what it is. But good acoustical or concerts . . ahh. . .

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #3,425 of 10,747
yeah I think lil'knight may not have caught Sinocelts incessant humor
wink.gif
I personally find it pretty funny. facetiousness can be difficult to spot depending where you are from.

heard from Jerry last night and Brittany today, my JH|13 have been finished for a few days, but they have been waiting for more flight cases ;( they will be there in the morning and they will then ship!!!! express; I hope express is quick enough to get them here by next thursday. my excitement is barely contained

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #3,426 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah I think lil'knight may not have caught Sinocelts incessant humor
wink.gif
I personally find it pretty funny. facetiousness can be difficult to spot depending where you are from.

heard from Jerry last night and Brittany today, my JH|13 have been finished for a few days, but they have been waiting for more flight cases ;( they will be there in the morning and they will then ship!!!! express; I hope express is quick enough to get them here by next thursday. my excitement is barely contained

Remember the joy is in the journey. Not to deflate your balloon but once you get them. . . . . your head will implode.

Just kidding of course. . . we have all been gas lighting you. They are really nothing all That special. :^)

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #3,428 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my part, I'm done. My search for the holy grail of headphones has come to a euphoric end.

Until the JH -91 Pro
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #3,429 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link to that video. What they sent me may have been new molds re-made from the silicone casts. They were rubbery and shiny. Seems like UE knows what they are doing, I doubt they would send me something they knew wouldn't fit anymore. I feel better.

Glad to help. Now, let's hope that's what UE had done.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #3,430 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

qusp, when did you place your order? Just trying to calibrate when I can expect mine, what their turnaround time is like these days. Thanks.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3,431 of 10,747
Well, I guess I can say I'm officially "in the club" now.

Spent some time at JH Audio last night as Adam was finishing up my art work.

As qusp pointed out, JH Audio has completely run out of Carbon Fiber cases (though more should be in tomorrow). So, I was unable to take any shots of the entire presentation with my box, rig, etc. I thought about waiting to take pictures, but I just couldn't help myself.

Anyway, I'm going to borrow my neighbor's 100mm macro lens to get some really good close ups for everyone, but in the meantime, here's the best I could do. Enjoy!!!

(As is pretty apparent from the pics, I'm a pretty big U2 fan. I went with the "Joshua Tree" silouette against a solid red faceplate as the background. The rest of the shell transitions to a transparent red, so you can see all those really awesome components in each monitor. I really love the way the red/black contrast turned out, and I'm REALLY thankful to the crew at JH Audio for gently nudging me in this direction, and away from another design I was considering)

JH13-2.jpg

JH13.jpg

JH13-4.jpg

JH13-3.jpg

JH13-5.jpg

Again, I'll get some more detailed pics shortly when I get ahold of that other lens.

I also just want to take a Moment to thank Jerry, Brittany, Adam, and everyone at JH Audio for a job REALLY well done on my piece, as well as for their hospitality.

As I mentioned before, I live about 10-15 minutes from JH Audio's lab, and it has been a real treat to be able to witness the the creation of my first pair of custom monitors first-hand.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics. I'm thrilled with how they turned out. If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to fire away!

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #3,432 of 10,747
.... Oh yeah, and they sound absolutely amazing!!

But I'm still digesting that. Frankly, I'm too floored by the improvement over my SE530's to really comment intelligently right now.

Though I'm sure they'll pale in comparison to the Epic review by HPA, I'll try to formulate some intelligent thoughts on what I am hearing later when I feel I am ready to do so.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #3,434 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol the end of everyones headphones looks clear in photos it is really weird!

That's because they are clear. Actually, I think that part is solid except for the holes bored in it for the tubes, and the rest of the shell (the part that is colored) is hollow.

There's a lot more to it than that, but I'm going to stop short of describing too much more of the process as I saw it unfold.

As I said, I consider it a real priviledge to have been able to be somewhat involved in the production of my piece, and while it may be perfectly OK for me to describe more of the process, I'm really not sure what is proprietary information and what is not, so I'll err on the side of caution so as not to divulge any of Jerry's "trade secrets".

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #3,435 of 10,747
Quote:

Remember the joy is in the journey. Not to deflate your balloon but once you get them. . . . . your head will implode.

Just kidding of course. . . we have all been gas lighting you. They are really nothing all That special. :^)

oh yeah and what a wonderful journey it is, if its all a joke, I hope you like animals, because you'll find a horse's head in your bed
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_ba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qusp, when did you place your order? Just trying to calibrate when I can expect mine, what their turnaround time is like these days. Thanks.

lol, ok I answered this a couple pages back, I think its been a bit over a month. I havent looked it up and having really been counting the days until lately

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I guess I can say I'm officially "in the club" now.

Spent some time at JH Audio last night as Adam was finishing up my art work.

As qusp pointed out, JH Audio has completely run out of Carbon Fiber cases (though more should be in tomorrow). So, I was unable to take any shots of the entire presentation with my box, rig, etc. I thought about waiting to take pictures, but I just couldn't help myself.

Anyway, I'm going to borrow my neighbor's 100mm macro lens to get some really good close ups for everyone, but in the meantime, here's the best I could do. Enjoy!!!

(As is pretty apparent from the pics, I'm a pretty big U2 fan. I went with the "Joshua Tree" silouette against a solid red faceplate as the background. The rest of the shell transitions to a transparent red, so you can see all those really awesome components in each monitor. I really love the way the red/black contrast turned out, and I'm REALLY thankful to the crew at JH Audio for gently nudging me in this direction, and away from another design I was considering)

[IM]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/spleisher/JH13-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/spleisher/JH13.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/spleisher/JH13-4.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/spleisher/JH13-3.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/spleisher/JH13-5.jpg[/IMG]

Again, I'll get some more detailed pics shortly when I get ahold of that other lens.

I also just want to take a Moment to thank Jerry, Brittany, Adam, and everyone at JH Audio for a job REALLY well done on my piece, as well as for their hospitality.

As I mentioned before, I live about 10-15 minutes from JH Audio's lab, and it has been a real treat to be able to witness the the creation of my first pair of custom monitors first-hand.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics. I'm thrilled with how they turned out. If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to fire away!

nice work, is that 'joshua tree' a cherry tree, willow or what?? apparently hanging out with them ensures they get done a little quicker (as you would expect), I think they'll now have a whole heap of new 'friends'
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back