JenaLab recabled R10
Apr 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #106 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying their products does not make this situation "your business". Furthermore, unless you have spoken with the owner of the headphones as well it appears YOU are the one jumping to conclusions based on one side of the story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is my business, that's all YOU need to know..
wink.gif

If it is your business then it sounds suspiciously like you have financial involvement with Jena, is that the case?

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #107 of 626
So is Jena Labs going to really respond? Unless Morph 201 works for them or is their representative I cannot accept that as their official response. Hmm...
wink.gif

I am also with Voltron on this as their is no indication that ALO has any involvement with this so their is absolutely no reason to drag them into this (Like Jena Labs did
rolleyes.gif
). I have had business dealings with both Ken and Alex and both have been otstanding in terms of workmanship and customer service. I have had no dealings with Jena Labs at all.

P.S. No relation to Morph201, I am the original Morph
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #109 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? I mean seriously? I can't imagine a cable reinstall taking less than an hour. I know doctors that charge less. And this is something any skilled 10 year old in a third world factory can do for $.05.

I reserve a spot in hell for them based on this alone.

Cables I can justify as ridiculously expensive (because they have always been ridiculously expensive whether we like it or not).... but those reinstall prices are ridiculous. I've built cables and reterminated headphones and it takes nowhere near that amount of money, skill, or time to justify that price. ESPECIALLY for a STOCK REINSTALL. Ridiculous prices IMO.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #110 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it somewhat disturbing that some HeadFi members seem to think they are qualified to judge a situation like this....

I find it somewhat disturbing that some HeadFi members seem to think they are qualified to judge some HeadFi members...

JK.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #111 of 626
Quote:

I find it somewhat disturbing that some HeadFi members seem to think they are qualified to judge a situation like this....

I'm not here to say anything bad about JL or APS. I just think prices of custom work are ridiculous in general. I may not have the most beautiful braids, but I sure as hell know what recabling a headphone entails and can perform what's required to recable. I know it's much more difficult with headphones like the R10. The cost is prohibitive and it is very easy to get scared of destroying parts.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #112 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it somewhat disturbing that some HeadFi members seem to think they are qualified to judge some HeadFi members...

JK.
smily_headphones1.gif

I find is disturbing that some head-fi member seems to think they are qualified to judge some other head-fi member for judging other head-fi members for judging a situation like this.

...wait what?

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #113 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the possible frustration, but do you think a company that's been doing this for over 20 years would seriously botch a job like this??? Something is not adding up, and I'm shocked that no one else thinks this.

Just out of curiousity, did you receive Jena Labs' permission to post their email to you? Normal courtesy would require that. I'm also curious about why Jena Labs would send you such a detailed account of what happened, yet not make a public comment of their own. It appears that they have everything written down, and would just have had to cut and paste their letter to you (unless their legal counsel had advised against public comment, in which case you have done them a great disservice).

Just as an aside, I've auditioned the Jena Labs Symphony interconnects at home. They have great tonality, and make a great first impression. However, they also have a lack of focus that starts to wear with time (in my case, I could only listen for about 15 minutes per session before I got frustrated). The staging simply isn't there, and it became difficult to place any instruments precisely (the pair I auditioned had been well burned-in). Definitely not something that I'd want in my systems. The staging is one area where the R10 (and the Qualia 010) lead all dynamic headphones, with the exception of the K-1000. If their headphone cable has any sonic relationship to their interconnects, there is no way that I would put that on an R10, work quality issues aside.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #114 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find is disturbing that some head-fi member seems to think they are qualified to judge some other head-fi member for judging other head-fi members for judging a situation like this.

...wait what?

I find it disturbing that head-fi'ers get confused about judging members that judge other members about judging others in a situation like this...
biggrin.gif

I got that right, right? lol
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #115 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cables I can justify as ridiculously expensive (because they have always been ridiculously expensive whether we like it or not).... but those reinstall prices are ridiculous. I've built cables and reterminated headphones and it takes nowhere near that amount of money, skill, or time to justify that price. ESPECIALLY for a STOCK REINSTALL. Ridiculous prices IMO.

They are ridiculously expensive on the retail side of things yes. But how much do you think it really costs them to manufacture/purchase the cable? My guess is $.10 per foot. So with this re-cable job they had maybe of $6 their cost for cable. And realistically they could give that cable the their "leading industry professional". So we won't even count the cost of cable. And I would say a realistic cost for their time on the cables would be $120. Just monkeys working with wire not brain surgeons. I would say $150 on postage. Throw another $20 for boxes and bubble wrap. So we are at $290 of their actual cost.

So keeping with the customer is always right (no matter how big a jerk they may or may not be) the proper thing to do would have been to send his headphones back the way you found them and call the thing a wash.

But what do they do instead? Try and justify charging him $1000 for a service/product he was not satisfied with that only cost them $290. And them have the nerve to say they were giving him a great deal because it was worth $4000. Poor customer service just from this aspect alone. This is all not taking into account that they might actually be at fault for the damaged headphone.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #118 of 626
Quote:

Me, too. Your statement does NOT judge anyone. It is reports a feeling/reaction, which is not a judgment and which as such is not subject to judgment either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiousity, did you receive Jena Labs' permission to post their email to you? Normal courtesy would require that. I'm also curious about why Jena Labs would send you such a detailed account of what happened, yet not make a public comment of their own. It appears that they have everything written down, and would just have had to cut and paste their letter to you (unless their legal counsel had advised against public comment, in which case you have done them a great disservice).

One can wonder if the email from JL to Morph201 was implicitly meant to be shared indirectly or to motivate him to defend JL in lieu of them making a direct public statement they would have to answer for. In that case, he has indeed foiled them by quoting it rather than just referring to it. Given that they at least contributed to the impossible situation he found himself in by 1)commenting to him only in the first place and 2)continuing to not comment publicly once he referred to their email , I think he no longer owed them the courtesy you mention.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #119 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly, Hirsch. It is odd on many levels that Jena Labs would send a third party details about a transaction with one of its customers, but it is hilarious that they appear to have used their original letter to that customer to create the email to morph201. The email switches back and forth from "S.W./he/him/his" to "you/your" which would indicate they just modified their letter to BoilingFrog. It would really be amazing if those instances of "S.W." in the email really included his full name and morph201 decided to edit the email to initials. It is completely inappropriate for Jena Labs -- or any company -- to tell a complete stranger to the situation their customer's name!

Oh, and speaking of names, swt61 slipped above and mentioned Ken Law when he meant to say Ken Ball, who is the actual owner of ALO. Kinda funny given that Steve was rightly saying we shouldn't drag ALO through the mud but then inadvertently associating ALO with Ken Law of Storm Audio infamy.
eek.gif
Funny stuff.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #120 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and speaking of names, swt61 slipped above and mentioned Ken Law when he meant to say Ken Ball, who is the actual owner of ALO. Kinda funny given that Steve was rightly saying we shouldn't drag ALO through the mud but then inadvertently associating ALO with Ken Law of Storm Audio infamy.
eek.gif
Funny stuff.

very funny observation indeed.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back