JenaLab recabled R10
Apr 24, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #91 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upon disassembly, we also noted that on one of the drive units one of the very fine wire strands, a voice coil wire extending from the interior of the drive unit to the solder pad where connections are made, was formed into a slightly protruded loop and had been kinked. It should be noted that the other drive unit, nor any other drive units from other examples of the same make and model of headphone that we have seen, or seen photos of, exhibited such a protrusion. This
extending loop would in our opinion represent a fault in the original construction. An attempt was made to stabilize this fragile protrusion of very fine wire by locating it adjacent to the physical boundary of the ear speaker frame, and holding it in place with adhesive. This was atrivial operation and not mentioned in any communications.

Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing from this explanation would explain this:

From APureSounds site
Quote:

When they removed the driver they broke the voice coil and didn’t fix it so they had no idea which was the correct phase of the driver. I swapped the + and – and next thing I know the left driver is giving me nearly the exact same readings as the right side.

From the description of the problem and fix from Alex's site it sounds like it was far more than a stray wire or trivial procedure they performed.

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #93 of 626
Quote:

Not that it's going to make a difference, because most of you have already decided to lynch JL.. I understand the possible frustration, but do you think a company that's been doing this for over 20 years would seriously botch a job like this??? Something is not adding up, and I'm shocked that no one else thinks this.

Yes I do think a company like JL could most certainly botch a job like this, and try desperately to cover it up. It happens all the time. I also believe that boilingfrog's story sounds quite genuine, while JL's story seems almost ludicrous in places, and a major attempt at CYOA.

I also would like to agree with Voltron that Ken Law really plays no part in this, and really doesn't deserve to be brought into this mess. That may seem strange to some of you that have read the thread some time ago about the bad soldering job on a dock I purchased from ALO, but fair is fair and Ken really has no business being crucified for only commenting on the SQ of a pair of recabled headphones that he really had very little experience with in the first place. I haven't heard an R-10 stock or otherwise, and even I might have been suitably impressed at first listen. It takes time to evaluate a headphone properly, and you also need the right conditions. Also Ken as far as I know has never sunk to the levels we've read about here of JenaLabs customer service. The only thing I've ever heard about Ken's customer service is that he bends over backwards for his customers if for any reason they have an issue. This is not an endorsement of ALO's products or a comment of said products at all, but let's be prudent about who's name we drag into the mud without very good reason.

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #94 of 626
Morph, I don't think that email really helped the Jena case... but I'd still love to know who you work for.

Perhaps the most interesting twist in this is Ken's reaction to those butchered cans (as part of Jena's defense):

"In addition to our own sonic assessment, a leading industry
professional, Ken Ball, owner of Audio Line Out also auditioned the
headphones and found them to be outstanding, so much so that he created
a web page to share his experience... As mentioned, Ken thought enough of the listening experience that he even
created a web page to celebrate the event."

Not that Ken reacabled the cans but that his listening impressions were positive enough to create a massive write up.

Frankly, and this is just my opinion, but that really makes me wonder.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #95 of 626
I think I saw the light.

Alex from APureSound began a "no prisoners" war agains all cable manufacturers.

Jena Labs is only his first victim.

Boilingfrog is - everybody has guessed now - Alex himself. Yes, the bad guy trying to monopolise the cable market.

Morph201 is a knight in shining armour coming to save not only Jena Labs (to which he isn't connected at all but as a common customer), but all honest and defenseless cable manufacturers, the potential future victims of the bad Alex.

Sounds convincing, eh?
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #96 of 626
Quote:

but do you think a company that's been doing this for over 20 years would seriously botch a job like this??? Something is not adding up, and I'm shocked that no one else thinks this.

Actually yes I very much do. They've been in the cable making business for 20 years or however long but they haven't been in the headphone recable business that long and this was one of the first R10s they'd recabled. So yeah it's very possible that they could screw it up and lie about it.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #97 of 626
Wow. Jenas email to Morph201 contains even more spin and lies than her original email to me. While I expected there to be a response I never expected her distort the events this much.

Now I am being portrayed as a difficult customer who is cursing at them all the time, lying to them, refusing to pay, and manipulating numerous circumstances just to gain I am not sure what.

Except for the fact that I did in fact send the headphones to Jenalabs for recabling several times almost everything else in that narrative is either twisted but more commonly just outright confabulated. The last thing I want to spend my time doing is refuting each lie and perpetuating a he said she side argument. My relationships with several of the beacons in this industry speak for themselves. Never once have I had even one issue with a vendor that could'nt be resolved through a simple discussion. That's just not me.

This whole dispute would place a much more onerous burden of proof on me if it weren't for Alex's involvement and clear documentation. He also can vouch that the description of the person that Jennifer would like to portray as she digs her hole deeper and deeper is not at all who I am.

Probably even more supportive proof is the fact that Mikhail and I have been working on products continuously for over three years. While Mikhail's work is impeccable I think it's fair to say the process to get there is often not(sorry Mikhail). That said I have NEVER even had so much as a single argument or disagreement with Mikhail. Not even once. That is the true litmus test. I am patient, communicative and open to compromise in almost every situation. Life is way too short.

Jennifer chose the wrong person to malign. I've been around way too long with a track record of excellent relationships to even feel like I need to refute any of her lies. That she would put this much dishonest effort into saving $1000.00 is still a mystery to me. I tried to make it clear to her that this is exactly what I envisioned would happen. In the last 24 hours her losses to her reputation(and business) have been incalculable but still she pushes on.

Anyway, I have long written off my loss to Jenalabs. My mood has been salvaged by Alex's most excellent work in fixing the phones and recabling them with his V3 cable. I suspect my R10-Woo5 R10LE is among the finest examples of headphone experience in the world(more on that later when I'm not busy responding here). I will also post on my ES2 when I get it. Look for it with Mikhail at CanJam. He says it is unequivically the finest amplifier he has ever built. One day I hope to be able to say the same thing.

Seriously, just a small very much deserved plug for Alex. As someone who very much appreciates the details in the work and the craftsmanship that goes into making something I can say that Alex is a true master at what he does. He is incredibly humble to boot. Thank you Alex.

Enough for now. Thanks for everyones support in this matter. And thanks for the welcome to Headfi. Now that I've been sucked in I have even less time to get things done
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #98 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I saw the light.

Alex from APureSound began a "no prisoners" war agains all cable manufacturers.

Jena Labs is only his first victim.

Boilingfrog is - everybody has guessed now - Alex himself. Yes, the bad guy trying to monopolise the cable market.

Morph201 is a knight in shining armour coming to save not only Jena Labs (to which he isn't connected at all but as a common customer), but all honest and defenseless cable manufacturers, the potential future victims of the bad Alex.

Sounds convincing, eh?
biggrin.gif

I am no one's Knight in shining armour, nor am I knocking anyone's credibility... I just suggested we keep a level head and hear both sides before making any quick judgements either way. Now if that makes me the bad guy, then so be it.

Boilingfrog: Welcome to head-fi and I'm sorry your first post had to start of this way...

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #99 of 626
So JL wants us to believe that somebody who has done everything in the background before, all of a sudden comes out just to post a lie about them.

I mean really what is the benefit of Boilingfrog coming out here and even lying? So he can get his money back? It just doesn't add up unless Boilingfrog just wanted to waste some time which clearly he has not done on here before.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #100 of 626
Quote:

$1,500.00 First JENA Labs harness
$1,300.00 Second, smaller gauge wire, JENA Labs harness
$ 450.00 stock Sony harness install
$ 60.00 duplex outlet [ forgetting about the first set sent]
_$ 226.00 shipping and insurance._
$3,536.00 TOTAL

Seriously? I mean seriously? I can't imagine a cable reinstall taking more than an hour. I know doctors that charge less. And this is something any skilled 10 year old in a third world factory can do for $.05.

I reserve a spot in hell for them based on this alone.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #101 of 626
What would really explain who's lying is for Boilingfrog to post his emails with JL. If they're different than what they sent to Morph201, I think we'll know what's up.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #102 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? I mean seriously? I can't imagine a cable reinstall taking less than an hour. I know doctors that charge less. And this is something any skilled 10 year old in a third world factory can do for $.05.

Haha..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #103 of 626
Quote:

I just suggested we keep a level head and hear both sides before making any quick judgements either way.

Like you did?

Did you?

Did you hear Boilingfrog's side from him before posting in defense of Jena?

We're all curious.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #104 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? I mean seriously? I can't imagine a cable reinstall taking less than an hour. I know doctors that charge less. And this is something any skilled 10 year old in a third world factory can do for $.05.

I agree, those numbers look like they mistakenly added a zero after each.
I mean, 226 USD for shipping and insurance alone on a headphone that probably doesn't even weigh 5 KG with case?
For that price they better teleport it right into my house with a matter transporter.
450 to replace the stock cable back, etc.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #105 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, 226 USD for shipping and insurance alone on a headphone that probably doesn't even weigh 5 KG with case?

Actually, that's the only figure that I can understand. They did ship it back and forth 3 times, and depending on the service used and how much insurance they provided it's not all that hard to justify that number.

The other portions of the bill, I guess that's their prerogative just like it's mine to never to agree to pay that much for that type of service that comes with exactly zero guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back