JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
May 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #331 of 692
Yes, C421-AD8620 is very similar to O2 in sound, but not so much with C421-OPA2227.

May 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #333 of 692
Quote:
I would not get the AD8620 with IEMs -- gonna try my ER4-PTs again with it once I have the cable converter to ER4-S.

And why is that? 

May 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #334 of 692
I used the AD8620 version with UM Customs and it was a brilliant match. Go ahead and buy it, best portable amp i've owned. It did sound similar to the EHP-O2 I had in a lot of ways.

May 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #335 of 692
I would not get the AD8620 with IEMs -- gonna try my ER4-PTs again with it once I have the cable converter to ER4-S.

I beg to differ. Haven't heard any better portable amp with ER4S than C421-AD8620, which also goes really well with most of my IEM.

May 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #337 of 692
For anyone looking for a Canadian source, I just noticed that Vancouver-based Headphone Bar has them on their site.  I have no affiliation with them, and the only thing I ordered from them so far is a couple of inexpensive Fiio items (L9 LOD and an L2 cable, both of which have been replaced by a combo of SendStation and L8 since) but they seemed good to deal with.  They also have a physical store downtown, though I've never been there.

EDIT: forgot to mention they don't seem to state which opamp is included so you may want to email or call them first to confirm.

May 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #338 of 692
I'm interested as well in a C421. I'm driving my Fischer Audio DBA02 mkII's now with the PA2V2 and although it really contributes I find the vocals to become harsch quickly and the bass response low. I've read that for IEM's the AD8620 is recommended. Is it something recommendable with brighter headphones or should I really look elsewhere?

May 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #339 of 692
C421-AD8620 is pretty neutral all-around. I won't say it particularly good or bad for bright IEM, it will just present music as it is (which is a good thing btw). PA2V2 is much more colored in comparison, ear pleasing in a lush way.

May 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #341 of 692
Just got my AD8620 C421 in, and here's my initial impressions from my V-Moda M80's. (via headphone out of an 5g Ipod, don't have my LOD in yet)

When I first tried this, I was slightly disappointed. I've always been a fan of a lush, rich sound, and this seemed rather weak in comparison. The sub bass didn't reach as far down as I was thinking, and overall the presentation wasn't as powerful as I was originally thinking.

Then I listened to "In My Time of Need" by Opeth, and it hit me. Sure this isn't a crazy meaty, let's make everything syrup type of sound. But that's the point. This isn't burnt in by any means, but this amp is passing on the music just how it needs to be: unadulterated, and as close to sounding like a perfect recording as possible. I can't really explain too much, but this is my first experience hearing what I feel is true neutrality. One thing I will give to this amp, the timbre of instruments is to die for. They aren't accentuated like some other amps I've tried (where they almost sound echoey), but everything just feels perfectly organic and natural. Guitars are entrancing with this amp, or so I feel. So are cymbals. My word, cymbals sound good. Neutrality is sometimes a scary word. My mind goes to the AKG K702 when people utter "neutral", and I shudder, thinking that neutrality is only good for reference classical and light rock. For anyone afraid of this over the OPA2227, take the dive. It's worth it.

Next up was Hans Zimmer's "160BPM". The timbre got to me again. I guess in this case it would be the combination of timbre and soundstage for this one, along with Hans just being a general badass. This song sounds great. There are one or two smaaaalll parts where I wanted a little more bottomless-ness in my bass, but hey, I'm not complaining when everything else was right.

Got something a little quicker now, "Valhall Awaits Me" by Amon Amarth. The double bass at the beginning didn't rumble as much as I like, but again, quite a few things could attribute to this. Johan, however, sounds awesome. His growls are (if this makes any sense) clear, and he sounds aggressive and legible. This is usually one of my tests of any new piece of gear I get, because I've always found it's very easy to make Amon Amarth sound muffled, and the lyrics to be unintelligible. This amp passes, quite well actually :) The oddest thing about this test, however, is that I found it to sound equally good with bass boost ON. This confused me, but added the meat that I do occasionally crave with AA. I continued on to "Runes To My Memory" with bass boost on, and it sounded fantastic. Interesting, the bass is indeed boosted, but it is by no means sloppy sounding (see: Fiio E7).

Last (but not least for now, I'll be doing a formal review once I get my LOD), is an excerpt from Bach's Solo Partitias, the Courante section of the 1st one, performed by Oleg Kagan. While the M80's aren't particularly known for their high end sparkle, I find this to be very enjoyable. I've played violin for around 8 years, so I guess if there's one instrument I get picky on when listening, it's this. Since I know the limitations of my headphones, I'll say, this amp is EXCELLENT for classical. Great detail retrieval, great soundstage, and just a great clean sound.

All in all, I feel this is well worth the money. I've been wanting to make a portable rig for a while, getting tired of being tethered to my computer while listening to good music. Some have swayed me, saying that portable amps/rigs are either useless, or not worth nearly what you pay. I feel that I got exactly what I paid for here, the ability to enjoy my music wherever I go, and hell, I feel that I could use this as a desktop amp as well until I get enough to buy in the $500 range.

Next goal: Diymod
evil_smiley.gif
if anyone wants to pm me with how hard it is to fit internal caps for it, I would greatly appreciate it ^_^

Now for pics. I was curious how this would stack with an Ipod, and here it is (with a 60GB 5g Ipod):

May 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #342 of 692
Quote:
Just got my AD8620 C421 in, and here's my initial impressions from my V-Moda M80's. (via headphone out of an 5g Ipod, don't have my LOD in yet)

Congrats on your purchase!  And yes your impressions are pretty consistent with what most are experiencing with this amp.  It actually isn't totally neutral, but for most music listening, that's a good thing.  It's got a very pleasant timbre to it that makes it quite fun to listen to, as you are experiencing.  And yes a bit more bottom end punch is a common wish list item for people with this amp.  The bass boost does definitely help, though!  And does so as you mention without muddying up the mids or high end.

May 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #345 of 692
Hello there,

i tryed to get an answer for my question by reading through all posts here, but the question still remains open.

My current gear (for outside...):

- iPhone 4 (no LOD yet)
- BeyerDynamics DT 1350 (AKG K550 on their way)

The sound on the headphones is awesome, yet i lack some more volume on the iPhone. Just a tiny little bit louder would be OK.

So here's my question:

Will the c421 help me in that regard? I don't want my ears to bleed, but the iPhone is so darned "silent".
Currently i'm in the process of burning-in a NuForce Icon Mobile... But until now, there is no real improvement on the volume issue...

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back