JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Apr 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #302 of 692
Yeah, but when you get that kind of technology approved by Apple (you need Apple's approval to even be able to truly have a line out and bypass the internal DAC and AMP), there's a premium immediately stamped on it.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #303 of 692

Quote:
Yeah, but when you get that kind of technology approved by Apple (you need Apple's approval to even be able to truly have a line out and bypass the internal DAC and AMP), there's a premium immediately stamped on it.

True, guess so.  Wonder how much the licenses from Apple cost.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #304 of 692
Any info on the DAC chip used in ODAC? And with the stand alone DAC, what basically is going to happen is to use the ODAC's line out into any headphone amp? 

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #305 of 692
Looks like from the picture on the website, it's a Sabre chip? 

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #308 of 692
I'm clueless, does that mean it's good...?

Chip isn't everything. Implementation is the key. But given the track record of the circuit designer, it should alright. Anyway, TE7022 is a fairly good chip and widely used as USB receiver on many 24/96 DAC, and ESS Sabre is also a very well received DAC chip. On the surface, they should be quite good.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #310 of 692

Quote:
Just ordered my C421, hopefully it won't too long to reach this side of The Pond.

As a previous UK owner of both the JDS C421 and cMoy I can say that both amps arrived to my door in 5 days flat. Enjoy the C421 its the best portable amp i've ever owned. Only sold it because I now have a DX100.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #311 of 692

Quote:

As a previous UK owner of both the JDS C421 and cMoy I can say that both amps arrived to my door in 5 days flat. Enjoy the C421 its the best portable amp i've ever owned. Only sold it because I now have a DX100.

Good to hear, although I never realised that they used the address registered to your paypal account automatically so I've emailed them asking to send it to my term time address. Hopefully they'll be able to oblige!

Custom IEMs, an iMod and a new amp in two weeks, I think I can stop assaulting my wallet now =P

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #312 of 692
I'm about the pull the trigger but I am torn in between this and Headstage Arrow 4G. Anyone heard both amps? 

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #313 of 692

Quote:
I'm about the pull the trigger but I am torn in between this and Headstage Arrow 4G. Anyone heard both amps? 

Headfonia made a brief comparison in their C421 review;

"Comparison to the Headstage Arrow 3G and 4G
The Headstage is a nice amp and is still the slimmest one of the bunch. Build quality wise, it is still better than the C421 (in fact I think the D-Zero also has a better build quality than the C421). However I always find its soundstage to be quite flat. The 3G variant has a dark tonality and was quite full sounding in the mids and lows. The 4G version changed things a little by adding more treble to the mix, and you get a slightly more airier sound. Still it didn’t improve on the overall soundstage performance (airy sound is not the same as true three dimensional soundstage), and the treble area was dryer in comparison to the 3G.

In many areas I find the C421 to be better sounding than both the 3G and the 4G Headstage amps. The soundstage performance was clearly better, as it possess both width and depth not heard on the Headstage. Midrange was also sweeter and clearer, the treble more airy while still very smooth. The only advantage the Headstage has over the C421 is in the bass section, where the Headstage has a more proper bass punch."

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #314 of 692
Does the C421 benefit SE535 Ltd Ed or Sony EX1000 listening from iphone 4 as dap? Or generally iems wouldn't need an external amp.

On a side note, I've already ordered the O2+ODAC for my Q701s.. :)

May 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #315 of 692
Received my C421 today, very prompt delivery, taking 5 days compared to the projected 6-10 which is always nice. Initial impressions are that it sounds great, although this is just from the opening ten minutes =P Can't wait to get it burned in and paired with my customs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back