JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Mar 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #181 of 692

Quote:

I'm specifically looking to buy the C421/8620 for my DT880's, which are generally my go-to phones that work well with all music--not necessarily the best with everything, but work extremely well with everything. I've always used my AKG K70*'s for purely acoustic music like classic jazz, classical, or acoustic-only singer-songwriter music, but use the DT880's for everything non-acoustic.  Although, the DT880's are exceptional for acoustic as well--just not near-perfect like the AKGs (conversely, I can't listen to any music with the AKG's if there is a single non-acoustic instrument in it).

In any case, my one small complaint with the DT880's is that they are a touch warm--not a lot warm, but this is coming from a person who loves the AKG K70* line, so that should tell you something about my feelings of warmth...with the exception of maybe jazz, which lends itself to a more warm vibe.  I'm perfectly fine with the slight warmth as long as the amp I'm using doesn't add any more warmth, so I'm hoping that the C421/8620 that people see as bright will be a good, balanced pairing for my DT880's (I have the 250ohm, BTW).

I recently bought the ibasso D7 DAC/amp--the DAC is exceptional for the price, and the amp is good, but is a tad warm, so I don't really like it with my DT880's.  I do love the D7 with my AKG's, in which the slight warmth from the amp balances the brightness of the AKG's--but the slight warmth of the amp plus the slight warmth of the DT880's is just a bit too much for me.  So in the end, it's all about finding balanced pairings--both with the music style and the amp.

Bluishgreen,

Well I listen to almost exclusively acoustic Jazz.  My experience with my Senn 650 (which I am guessing you might call warm) and the 421/8620 is I think a perfect match.  The midrange is smooth and clean but almost sounds warm until you then hear a cymbal or other high frequency instrument and realize that that midrange is supposed to sound that way as the cymbal stands out and is crystal clear.  This is also true of the bass.  It does not stand out until that note or instrument changes such that it should.  It IMHO is what makes the experience so lifelike.  It is extremely enjoyable.  But as I posted before the sound with my Grados or ATHM50 is not enjoyable.  The high end seems to be always prominent to the point of unnaturalness.

It will be interesting to see your results with the 880's.  I have never listened to them and bought them based on recommendations from this and forum and John himself.  I also had never listened to the Senns or the ATHM50 before I bought them too.  So I am taking a shot here.  But the Senns and the 421/8620 combo is a match made in heaven. 

Bob

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #182 of 692

Quote:
So John, the question is - after listening to the 8620 for a while - Hypothetically, if a person decided that they really enjoyed the other chip better - would there be an option to send it back to be swapped?  I do not want to put you on the spot, but after a week or so of listening back and forth to the c421 and my cMoy, it may come down to liking one better than the other sound wise.  Form factor, power and everything else the c421 is much better so I'd want my fav chip in the c421.

If that isn't possible, no big deal but it would be nice to know if I had the option - shipping back and forth being my responsibility of course since you and I actually had this conversation via email before it was shipped and I said go with the 8620!

Honestly - the 8620 has settled down from my first impressions - so over a short period of time I may find that I like it (for example, I'm liking it more today than I did yesterday...)

Parts cost would be under $8, but labor would kill the deal at $25+.

Quote:
But as I posted before the sound with my Grados or ATHM50 is not enjoyable.  The high end seems to be always prominent to the point of unnaturalness.

Frequency response is flat up to 15kHz, and there's a very slight roll-off going to 20kHz (0.2dB or so). So if anything, highs are not prominent in terms of measurements.

Amps and measurements aside, I can't say I've heard the same "unnaturalness" between Grados and the AD8620. I actually decided upon the AD8620 after listening to a c421 in the dark for four hours. This just goes to show that everyone hears things differently.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #183 of 692

Quote:

Frequency response is flat up to 15kHz, and there's a very slight roll-off going to 20kHz (0.2dB or so). So if anything, highs are not prominent in terms of measurements.

Amps and measurements aside, I can't say I've heard the same "unnaturalness" between Grados and the AD8620. I actually decided upon the AD8620 after listening to a c421 in the dark for four hours. This just goes to show that everyone hears things differently.

That's cool.  I'm liking them more and more - so I don't anticipate that I'd switch.  Its like anything else - just takes some getting used to and you have to have an open mind and give it time.  Being very noobish in this arena, you sometimes have to accept the fact that you don't know what you like.

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #184 of 692

Quote:

UPDATE ON MY LISTENING EXPERIENCE DAY 4 - Bob Silver

I need to update my comment re my Grados and the 8620 chip.  When I came to that EARLY conclusion ("unnaturalness" between Grados and the AD8620)   was on day 1 of using the 421 amp.  I should know better to make conclusions that soon.  After reading John's comments I went back and put on my Grados and listened again to the 421.  The amp now has about 40 hours on it.

The sound quality is now very nice.  The "shrill" high end I experienced day 1 is gone.  The high frequencies are pronounced yes but no longer in a bad way.  It is just how these phones sound.  But what is there is an extreme level of detail and openness I experienced with my Senns.

So at this point I can say and I am very happy with the 421 and the choice of the AD8620.

And for all new users let me say let it burn in for 20 hours or more before making the same judgement mistake that I made.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion and doubt I may have caused.

Bob Silver

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #186 of 692
Hi Bobsilver and mm1434, that is very encouraging to hear.
happy_face1.gif
I have experience with the AD8620 with the Go-Vibe and that's why I pre-ordered a C421 with this. The AD8620 is a very nice op-amp, I find it detailed and open but not bright or harsh in anyway. My C421 has shipped and I'm checking the mail a couple times a day in anticipation, can't wait to get my hands on it!

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #187 of 692
I just received my replacement enclosure and swapped the stuff. It came with the black case, as well as new front and rear faceplates. Just looking at them side by side, the new ones are much nicer. There's a little bit of a grain texture to the new enclose which is pretty nice. Holding the new faceplates side by side, the new ones aren't as "silver/shiny," but look good nonetheless. Also, the one gripe I had about the old enclosures have been fixed- the edges of the silver faceplates aren't as sharp/rough anymore. The new enclosure just has a much nicer "quality feel" to them. I'm not saying the old enclosure wasn't nice, but this new enclose is definitely a step up in quality. Good job, John from JDSLabs! :)

edit: I should also mention that the new enclose came with 4 little stick on feet, which is a very nice touch also!

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #188 of 692
So I am in love with my JDS Labs CMoyBB......what will I gain with the C421......?

BTW, I get free 9v batteries.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #189 of 692
Its really funny.  I'm kinda learning on the fly here.

I thought I understood music and the sound that I like.  The cmoy with my turbine coppers was heaven.  Then I got the denon D2000 cans and was listening to them on the cmoy.  Heaven.  Then I get the c421.  Different sound.  Jumped to conclusion.  The more and more I listen to the c421 with the denons, I'm discovering a whole new aspect to my music.  Its hard to explain, but it just feels more open, complete and balanced (soundstage?).  I was listening to some old stuff (Led Zepplin) and I felt like I was right in the middle of the music as it swirled around me.  Where I was used to the bass sorta hitting me in the back of the head - I'm now enjoying a much more balanced sound and noticing all kinds of little nuances.  I've been listen to the rig (Denon/c421) a lot and am just falling in love with my music again.

So, I assume its a little bit fantastic headphones and a little bit c421 amp - but I can't imagine anything sounding better right now.  I will assume, as I continue to listen and my ears get used to the sound I will gradually be looking for even more.  It appears that this audiofile thing is a bit of a journey where you never really get to the end - you just sort of evolve.

Thanks for all your patience John.  And thanks Headfi for turning me on to something really cool...

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #190 of 692
First time post, long time lurker. I have a question for anyone runnin c421 with westone 3 or um3x. I would really like your impressions of this combination or hear from anyone who would care to speculate on the pairing of these two iem and the c421. I currently have cmoy bb and find it enjoyable with both iem and ipod classic w/lod. Thanks

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #191 of 692
Panges stated earlier that he couldn't use the Westone 4's with his C421 with the original low gain settings of 3.5x due to unbearable volume.  However, with the new gain setting it may be able to fix that but it really depends on your listening levels etc.  

Bought mine from Panges for an excellent deal and can't wait till I get it. :]

Shoutout: I think that the information page for the JDS Labs C421 on Headgear product information is outdated, just wanted to state that.

Edit he said Ultimate Ears UE4 :p  

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #192 of 692

Quote:
Panges stated earlier that he couldn't use the Westone 4's with his C421 with the original low gain settings of 3.5x due to unbearable volume.  However, with the new gain setting it may be able to fix that but it really depends on your listening levels etc.  

Bought mine from Panges for an excellent deal and can't wait till I get it. :]

Shoutout: I think that the information page for the JDS Labs C421 on Headgear product information is outdated, just wanted to state that.

I actually don't really have any issues with the c421 and the Westone 4's. My issue was actually with the Ultimate Ears UE4, which are (were) my main IEM's. I'm currently using a pair of Ultimate Ears UE11 Pro, and they're just as sensitive, so the issue is the same with these. On a side note, if I do turn the volume up to make the imbalance go away, it does sound really nice with the UE11. Just a bit loud for my comfort. In any case, I'm in the market for a portable DAC/Amp combo, so I don't mind letting go of the c421. 

I'll have the amp shipped out for you tomorrow! :)

Side note: If you get a chance, try the c421 with the Etymotic ER4S. The c421 just really did something special for me with those IEMs. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #193 of 692
Couldnt resist, pulled the trigger and ordered with AD8620. Main selling point over other products is the great customer service / interaction, as well as the over all positive reviews from users of JDSLabs products.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #195 of 692

Quote:
Couldnt resist, pulled the trigger and ordered with AD8620. Main selling point over other products is the great customer service / interaction, as well as the over all positive reviews from users of JDSLabs products.

I just ordered mine as well last night (AD8620 also).  I went with the default USPS shipping, so I'll probably get it towards the end of the week, but I've still got my new-ish (maybe a month old now) Ibasso D7 DAC/Amp to play with in the meantime...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back