JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #571 of 3,417
Quote:
THanks for your in depth responses.

Did you know the lightning plug may (almost certainly, without opening one) have a little DAC in it? I want to explore this further before i say im certain of it. But so far its a safe assumption.

As far as the casing question goes, Id simply prefer to remove all variables, and quite enjoy the finish on the endplates.

I personally like "raw" materials. It the case could be raw in a way that it is durable I would prefer that myself.  The cases look excellent, but if the finishes come off like my current one I'd pass completely on anodizing.  Buy anyhow, I just love the sound!

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #572 of 3,417
I'm going to add my 2 cents here regarding the bass boost.  Keep in mind I am a rookie.  

I like the bass boost quite a bit.  It adds quite a lot to my JH13 listening experience.  I use the bass boost about 50% of the time.  If an already heavy bass song come on my iPod, I quickly turn it off.  If you want to hear a perfect example, try "No One" by Alicia Keys.  I can't imagine even the biggest bass head would listen to that song with the bass boost on.  Then again, to each their own.  

I am not going to be critical of JDS, but I will jump on the bandwagon of a 2 option bass boost.  Maybe +3 and +6 as has been suggested.  I have no idea what that would entail from an engineering perspective, so it may not be a fair suggestion.  There are many tunes I could imagine enjoying more with a bass boost about 1/2 of the C5's current boost, but would not want to sacrifice having the full boost option.

I will add that I have had no finish issues with my slate C5, and I quite like the finish.  

Again, JDS has made my first amp experience great and I commend them on their service and communication.  And the fact that they monitor these forums means they are really in touch with their clients and they care.  Well done!

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #573 of 3,417
Quote:
I'm going to add my 2 cents here regarding the bass boost.  Keep in mind I am a rookie.  

I like the bass boost quite a bit.  It adds quite a lot to my JH13 listening experience.  I use the bass boost about 50% of the time.  If an already heavy bass song come on my iPod, I quickly turn it off.  If you want to hear a perfect example, try "No One" by Alicia Keys.  I can't imagine even the biggest bass head would listen to that song with the bass boost on.  Then again, to each their own.  

I am not going to be critical of JDS, but I will jump on the bandwagon of a 2 option bass boost.  Maybe +3 and +6 as has been suggested.  I have no idea what that would entail from an engineering perspective, so it may not be a fair suggestion.  There are many tunes I could imagine enjoying more with a bass boost about 1/2 of the C5's current boost, but would not want to sacrifice having the full boost option.

I will add that I have had no finish issues with my slate C5, and I quite like the finish.  

Again, JDS has made my first amp experience great and I commend them on their service and communication.  And the fact that they monitor these forums means they are really in touch with their clients and they care.  Well done!

A two option bass boost would require two resistors and a three way switch like this:  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/G23AV-RO/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduinpfcAYX4LhsFXRmjJieQyJy4awIUEaHNdN7oVjJpMVQ%3d%3d

I believe the issue is that john would have to redesign the circuit to work with these components.  But maybe we'll see this in the C6!!!  :wink: 

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #575 of 3,417
iPod Touch 5G connected to the C5 with a lightening to 30-pin adapter cable powering the Etymotic ER-4S earphones.  This was all today.  I listened to about 8 hours of music today (awesome!).  I left the albums looping at normal volume when I was not listening actively.  This was started and stopped within a minute of the actual use and end of the battery life.  I stopped it whenever I stopped the iPod.  All obvious I'm sure.  Nonetheless.  100ohm earphones, 11.25 hours...  I'm not complaining. :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #576 of 3,417
How does the bass boost compare the the cmoyBB v2.03's bass boost?  I'm definitely a basshead, so I EQ the bass up in addition to switching my cmoyBB's bass boost on while using my already bass heavy Q40s and D2000s.  Supposedly the cmoyBB boosts up to +9 dB, while the C5 only boosts up to +6 dB.  But maybe since the C5 is more powerful in general, it somehow makes more of an impact?

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #577 of 3,417

Here is some early pictures I have taken with my ipod touch. I like the color but I too have visible marks on my case. I do not mind as long as those it doesnt rust, will it rust?

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #578 of 3,417
My ISP pocket programmer came in the mail today, as well as an Arduino Micro board I bought for school. The Arduino Micro board has a set of ISP header pins on it similar to the C5, and I noticed that the female sockets for the ISP programmer completely engulf the male pins. Since the header pins for the C5 have to be trimmed, will this be a problem for the female connector? I'm assuming no, but I just want to make sure before I solder the pins in since I'm not very good at desoldering.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #580 of 3,417
ODAC+C5+CK100pro= mind blown well done! I love the pairing more than my O2+ODAC!

EDIT: I am hardly touching the body and it is loosing its anodizing. Would the body rust without the coating? 

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #582 of 3,417
Quote:

An angry, foreign truck driver dropped a pallet of these boxes in our parking lot last week. He wasn't pleased that we do not have a dock or forklift...

Silver Cases: I checked our shipment records and 5 pieces from the flaky batch of Silver cases left our office around May 6, plus a few more to distributors. While I'm not pleased about that, we have solid records of the cosmetic defect and will send out replacement cases this week. Silver cases will not be offered in the future. There are only a few ways to achieve a nice clear aluminum finish, and none of the scratch-resistant methods are compatible with black laser engraving (artwork comes out light gray). We could resort to silkscreening to achieve black artwork, but I'm still not pleased with any of the clear anodizing samples we've tried. The Silver cases we're sending out this week are "raw" blasted aluminum, free of anodizing. They look nice and the finish will not wear off; it's still a soft metal. Aluminum does not rust. Next time we consider doing a product release at 2am on a Friday night, I'll make sure we sleep first and reconsider last minute additions. Three colors just seemed like a great idea!

Preorder: The C5 preorder sold out this morning. Mass production boards are scheduled to arrive April 8-11.

Quote:
My ISP pocket programmer came in the mail today, as well as an Arduino Micro board I bought for school. The Arduino Micro board has a set of ISP header pins on it similar to the C5, and I noticed that the female sockets for the ISP programmer completely engulf the male pins. Since the header pins for the C5 have to be trimmed, will this be a problem for the female connector? I'm assuming no, but I just want to make sure before I solder the pins in since I'm not very good at desoldering.

Yes, the connector will still mate to a trimmed 6-pin header. Works fine for me.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #583 of 3,417
I was worried about the anodizing coming off too so I decided to protect the case by spraying a coat of clear gloss.  It makes the red have more pop as well.  Unfortunately, I did a piss poor job and went overboard and had some pooling in some areas (see the curvy line near the bottom right).  My question is, Can I safely sand off the clear coat to start over or will sanding remove the red anodizing as well?  Any one here experienced in anodized metals?

P.S.  I didn't get a nice black cardboard box like the one audionewbi posted.  Did anyone else get a box with their C5?

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #585 of 3,417
[size=1rem]Tues., March 12 Update:[/size][size=1rem] 99% of preorders have shipped! New Slate C5′s ship immediately. [size=1rem]New Red C5′s will ship next Tuesday, March 19.[/size][/size]

I was worried about the anodizing coming off too so I decided to protect the case by spraying a coat of clear gloss.  It makes the red have more pop as well.  Unfortunately, I did a piss poor job and went overboard and had some pooling in some areas (see the curvy line near the bottom right).  My question is, Can I safely sand off the clear coat to start over or will sanding remove the red anodizing as well?  Any one here experienced in anodized metals?

P.S.  I didn't get a nice black cardboard box like the one audionewbi posted.  Did anyone else get a box with their C5?

Looks neat! Only a few Silver cases are affected by possible wear (not fully anodized). There's no concern with the Red or Slate anodizing. A layer of anodizing is a few mils thick. It can't be removed unless you sand the case. Definitely don't try that.

See post #582 regarding the black cardboard boxes. Those arrived late last week for general shipping, so many C5's shipped before then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back