JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #556 of 3,417
Quote:
C5 charges quickly and knows to stop charging when the battery is full.

That sounds nice, what about people like me that may end up using it more as a stationary amp than a portable one and using an USB power adapter to charge it from the wall socket (to avoid the noisy background from the USB ports), are you able to keep using the device while keeping it plugged in without damaging the battery in the long run? Ofc I can just let it be emptied and recharge every now and then like you should let batteries do to keep their lifespan better intact but I'm curious to ask anyway.

I've kept using my digiZoid ZO amp this way and let it perhaps be emptied like 2 times a month or so and it has worked fine so far.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #557 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
C5 charges quickly and knows to stop charging when the battery is full.

That sounds nice, what about people like me that may end up using it more as a stationary amp than a portable one and using an USB power adapter to charge it from the wall socket (to avoid the noisy background from the USB ports), are you able to keep using the device while keeping it plugged in without damaging the battery in the long run? Ofc I can just let it be emptied and recharge every now and then like you should let batteries do to keep their lifespan better intact but I'm curious to ask anyway.

I've kept using my digiZoid ZO amp this way and let it perhaps be emptied like 2 times a month or so and it has worked fine so far.

This is completely unrelated, but I'm still surprised your ZO avatar won the "show me the ZOvatar" contest. XD

On a more related note, the ZO does have a great bass boost for the sub-bass and lower-bass frequencies. The C5 has more of a lower-bass/mid-bass bass boost.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #558 of 3,417
Quote:
This is completely unrelated, but I'm still surprised your ZO avatar won the "show me the ZOvatar" contest. XD

On a more related note, the ZO does have a great bass boost for the sub-bass and lower-bass frequencies. The C5 has more of a lower-bass/mid-bass bass boost.

Well they picked 2 winners and I guess they were just doing me a favor for my ZO enthusiasm, I mean after all I keep praising it a lot on this forum and I own a ZO1, ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 xD I actually own 2x ZO2.1 haha (not going to sell any of them either, keeping the other one as backup) :wink: So guess you can call me an ZO-addict. But I think the JDS labs 6.5dB boost would work fairly good for me too, at least with my current headphones. With ZO I'm at yellow typically with my Q40, so yes I'm quite a basshead.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #559 of 3,417

This has more to do with the characteristics of lithium battery in general than that of the C5 amp and I have actually touch on this a few post back where in your type of usage it is actually much better to remove the battery with around 40 to 60 percent charge and store it in a cool place.Lithium-ion is a low maintenance battery,there is no memory and no scheduled cycling is required to prolong the battery's life though aging is a concern where typically some capacity deterioration is noticeable after one year, whether the battery is in use or not.To reduce aging storing in a cool place is recommended while leaving it in the amp just make aging faster in a sense as discharging occurs faster at higher temperatures.Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively though these are just a rough guide. And yes the C5 amp will run without the battery attached and before you ask I have tested this while doing the battery mod. PS: To John, you owe me an ODAC to make up for answering quierires on your behalf. LOL.!

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #560 of 3,417
This has more to do with the characteristics of lithium battery in general than that of the C5 amp and I have actually touch on this a few post back where in your type of usage it is actually much better to remove the battery with around 40 to 60 percent charge and store it in a cool place.Lithium-ion is a low maintenance battery,there is no memory and no scheduled cycling is required to prolong the battery's life though aging is a concern where typically some capacity deterioration is noticeable after one year, whether the battery is in use or not.To reduce aging storing in a cool place is recommended while leaving it in the amp just make aging faster in a sense as discharging occurs faster at higher temperatures.Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively though these are just a rough guide.And yes the C5 amp will run without the battery attached and before you ask I have tested this while doing the battery mod.PS: To John, you owe me an ODAC to make up for answering quierires on your behalf. LOL.!

I think i owe john an ODAC. Haha. for all the questions he answers for me :wink:

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #562 of 3,417
During a study session at school today, my friend randomly grabbed my portable rig and started listening to his music via YouTube. I had the bass boost on since I was previously using the rig on the bus.
Long story short, my friend suddenly exclaimed "HOLY C$#@ it sounds like I'm in a movie theater!". I then turned the bass boost off and he exclaimed "wow, this actually sounds pretty good".

So I guess I'm not the only person who thinks of the bass boost as "movie theater bass-boost". :D

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #563 of 3,417
Quote:
During a study session at school today, my friend randomly grabbed my portable rig and started listening to his music via YouTube. I had the bass boost on since I was previously using the rig on the bus.
Long story short, my friend suddenly exclaimed "HOLY C$#@ it sounds like I'm in a movie theater!". I then turned the bass boost off and he exclaimed "wow, this actually sounds pretty good".

So I guess I'm not the only person who thinks of the bass boost as "movie theater bass-boost". :D

It sounds like it will give my ER4S the bass it needs however for my other IEM I dont think I will use it. Mine was shipped today, should be here tomorrow. I will take some pictures tomorrow and give my thoughts about it in about 15-20 days. 

I will be pairing it with:
1)ODAC
2)iPod video
3)Sansa clip+
4)Rocoo BA
5)Venturecraft DD socket 1 (MUSES01 edition)
6)iPod Touch latest Generation

I will be testing it with the following IEM:
1)CK100PRO and ACS T15: Testing for hiss
2)ER4S: Testing for, micro-details.
3)EX1000: Testing for dynamic and neutrality
4)XBA-4: This is the ultimate test, no amp I have owned makes this sound "musical". The only amp that is speculated that make them sound "musical" is the 500 USD portaphile! They also have a nice sound stage. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #564 of 3,417
I might have missed it but has anyone a/b'd the BH against the C5?

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #565 of 3,417
got mine.

I wont go into too much detail yet as its early days and im still chatting with John.

The Good:
-brings out heaps of detail! excellent sound qualities
-same size as the C421
-sound in most respects better than the C421
-fast charge!
-bass boost **

The Bad:
-anodised color rubs off easily on my model, i mean its never been in my pocket, and im wearing the silver/white on my hands. But im told this is an easy fix so im not worried about it.
-in my box, no rubber feet- minor to some, but i gripe about this a bit, as im not someone who has rubber feet lying around at home. So i have to drive to a hardware store before i can use an amp if they arent included. The C421 had them (and spares) included. So im imagining this was an unintentional oversight by an exemplary company! :D
-wont easily power my Fischer Audio FA011 (laptop, more than enough with iphone for some reason), these are 160ohm, but still disappointing. I had it maxed out on full gain constantly with these and it was sorta loud, but if i was serenading a broom or mop i  would have wanted more.
-listening with the USB plugged in gives terrible results, the noise floor is VERY high, and the volume pot clicking is exaggerated around 30-50X. But again minor problem as it charges SO FAST!
-bass boost**

**This is where things get good/bad. I actually did a quick side by side of the C421 and C5. Without writing a novel about it (although questions are welcome), i didnt buy the C421 again new- even though i could have. The C5 sounds better in almost every regard, other than the bass boost for CERTAIN cans. If like me, you love bassy cans, then the C5 in its unadulterated state is gorgeous! If you want to flick that bass switch, turn it down first mate- your in for a rough ride! I mean it sounds very very good, but its a bit much, even for me. Anyone who has read any of my reviews knows im a admitted bass junky in the most depraved of ways with no intention of recovery. So i do like the bass boost here, i just think its a tad too much. If someone were listening to their bassier cans at high volumes and flicked the switch it may affect the driver and their hearing long term. This is an achievement in itself as ive never experienced an amp that can do that. My biggest gripe with the E12 was its pathetic bass boost, the C5's is a weapon by comparison. Good/bad bass boost is something im still happy to have, and glad for the switch.

If i were to change the C5?
In a utopian world, i would have the gain move to where the bass boost switch is.
Then i would have the push button selector function of the new volume pot act as a toggle for bass, once pushed you can control bass via the digital +/- pot, then pressed again will take you back to volume enabling the same action of left right +/- db. 
Superficially, i wouldnt anodise them. Id do all the casings in the same finish and material as the endplates, and either etch, powdercoat, or spray, any logos. The anodising just doesnt work.

As it comes its a great amp and worth every penny. Its intended for portabe use, so its shortfalls on my macbook pro are accepted, plug it into an iphone and it magic, with oodles of power, detail, and utterly amazing sound. If you want a dr jekyll for your hyde- thats provided for. The drama of the bass boost is what might very well make an icon of the C5. As always its small and light, and the service of JDS labs is more than just above and beyond, its supernatural.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #566 of 3,417
Quote:
It sounds like it will give my ER4S the bass it needs however for my other IEM I dont think I will use it. Mine was shipped today, should be here tomorrow. I will take some pictures tomorrow and give my thoughts about it in about 15-20 days. 

I will be pairing it with:
1)ODAC
2)iPod video
3)Sansa clip+
4)Rocoo BA
5)Venturecraft DD socket 1 (MUSES01 edition)
6)iPod Touch latest Generation

I will be testing it with the following IEM:
1)CK100PRO and ACS T15: Testing for hiss
2)ER4S: Testing for, micro-details.
3)EX1000: Testing for dynamic and neutrality
4)XBA-4: This is the ultimate test, no amp I have owned makes this sound "musical". The only amp that is speculated that make them sound "musical" is the 500 USD portaphile! They also have a nice sound stage. 

For micro details and bass there couldn't be a better match!!!  I've never been happier with a headphone/earphone in my life than with th er-4s/c5 combo and bass boost.  The bass make them almost perfectly flat from bottom to top.  There are times where I think it is a little much and would prefer half the amount, but i think most people would like it even if they aren't bass heads.  If you like the er-4s i think you'll like it more with the c5 :)  At least i do.

Quote:

If that's the case than you should send the ODAC to me instead saving John the trouble haha!
tongue.gif

i knew you would say that :wink:

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #568 of 3,417
Holy poop batman.  Ready for some quotes? !!!!
Quote:
The Bad:
-anodised color rubs off easily on my model, i mean its never been in my pocket, and im wearing the silver/white on my hands. But im told this is an easy fix so im not worried about it.

Mine too, although John is sending me another case, so I'll see how that is.  You can see the wear on mine, and I've babied it completely.  Wrapped it in a microfiber ipod cloth when I transport it, set it image-side up on the desk with nothing on top of it.  And it STILL wore off immediately.  It gives the impression of a cheap spray paint job.

I don't mean to sound negative to JDS, as they had problems with the case production company.  I'll post how the new case is once I use it a bit.

Quote:
-in my box, no rubber feet- minor to some, but i gripe about this a bit, as im not someone who has rubber feet lying around at home.

Did you check the anti-static bag the amp was in?  I didn't think I had any either until I noticed they were at the bottom of the ant-static bag, which is dark and not easy to see through.  Just a thought...

Quote:
-wont easily power my Fischer Audio FA011 (laptop, more than enough with iphone for some reason), these are 160ohm, but still disappointing. I had it maxed out on full gain constantly with these and it was sorta loud, but if i was serenading a broom or mop i  would have wanted more.

That seems odd, as this powers my hd600 with no problem at all at 300ohms.  I suppose your phones are not as efficient, but did you press in the gain switch (volume control) to get the high gain mode?

Quote:
-listening with the USB plugged in gives terrible results, the noise floor is VERY high, and the volume pot clicking is exaggerated around 30-50X. But again minor problem as it charges SO FAST!

Unfortunately, I have the same problem.  With the USB charing and my ipod connected I get zero noise from the USB.  However, if I connect my macbook pro audio interface (duet) or even onboard audio I get the computer gurgling and noise floor at medium volumes.  I can't say anything bad about the amp though, because I have this problem with ANY audio device when I have a USB device in the chain.  Sort of like a ground loop, but it's not a/c power related.  I'm guessing some laptops have a problem shielding the USB noise due to space limitations?  Just a theory, but the ONLY way I've found to eliminate the noise is by running a USB cable with the ground wire cut and taped off.  I don't do this with anything other than my midi keyboard which doesn't require the power portion of the cable, and even then only when I need to capture midi.  However, as the amp using the power portion I wouldn't run that cable with it ever.  If anyone has a solution for this I'll buy you an ODAC! hahaha (kidding, well... just maybe...)

Quote:
**I mean it sounds very very good, but its a bit much, even for me. Anyone who has read any of my reviews knows im a admitted bass junky in the most depraved of ways with no intention of recovery. So i do like the bass boost here, i just think its a tad too much. If someone were listening to their bassier cans at high volumes and flicked the switch it may affect the driver and their hearing long term. This is an achievement in itself as ive never experienced an amp that can do that. My biggest gripe with the E12 was its pathetic bass boost, the C5's is a weapon by comparison. Good/bad bass boost is something im still happy to have, and glad for the switch.

I agree.  The bass boost sounds amazing.  Best I've ever heard in implementation, but a bit much, even with my ER-4S!  Haha.  Although, with something like the HD600 it's definitely "movie-theatre" type bass.  It is literally like adding a large subwoofer to a theater system.  It's incredible.  And it does an awesome job of not interfering with the other frequencies/details (at least on the two phones I mentioned).

I would recommend a little less bass, or as I've mentioned before a two step switch.  +3db and +6db

Quote:
If i were to change the C5?
In a utopian world, i would have the gain move to where the bass boost switch is.

This is a good point.  It seems odd to use a right-angle cable with the c5.  You either block the volume control (very bad) or you have the cable in the way of the headphone jack.  Swapping them would help, but could be a similar issue with right-angle headphone cables.  Therefor your suggestion is a good one.  The bass boost is probably used less frequently and therefor swapping them allows you to use right-angle cables for both if you're so inclined and still not block the volume knob.  If you have to move the cable around to switch the bass so-be-it.  I think that would be a nice change, but the way it is doesn't bother me much.  I plan on getting the straight cable adapter anyway.

Quote:
Then i would have the push button selector function of the new volume pot act as a toggle for bass, once pushed you can control bass via the digital +/- pot, then pressed again will take you back to volume enabling the same action of left right +/- db.

I would agree, however, that would introduce another element that might reduce the quality of the bass boost as John mentioned (correct me if I'm wrong John).  Therefore, I wouldn't want that if so.  I would recommend the three way physical switch that gives you neutral, option 1 and option 2 bass boost.  That would fix the bass for us who think it's too much and give those who want more the next level, all while retaining the superior quality of using the physical switch as opposed to the digital potentiometer...

Quote:
Superficially, i wouldnt anodise them. Id do all the casings in the same finish and material as the endplates, and either etch, powdercoat, or spray, any logos. The anodising just doesnt work.

Is that because it rubs off easy or something?  I think my case looks great except the wear it gets so quickly.  I assumed this was mostly the faulty case production John talked about?

Quote:
As it comes its a great amp and worth every penny. Its intended for portabe use, so its shortfalls on my macbook pro are accepted, plug it into an iphone and it magic, with oodles of power, detail, and utterly amazing sound. If you want a dr jekyll for your hyde- thats provided for. The drama of the bass boost is what might very well make an icon of the C5. As always its small and light, and the service of JDS labs is more than just above and beyond, its supernatural.

I agree.  iPod touch 5th gen, lightening adapter to 30-pin line-out and a C5 are phenomenal.  And JDS is number one in my book. :)

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #569 of 3,417
Quote:
got mine.

I wont go into too much detail yet as its early days and im still chatting with John.

I'm surprised to see this remark about the FA-011's. Nick and I have been enjoying these headphones for the past week, driven by C5.

This USB noise must be ground loop (voltage drop between audio ground and USB ground). C5's dual LDO's give excellent performance until connecting an audio cable from the same audio source that's supplying USB power; as with any device, such a configuration creates the possibility for ground loop. We've tested C5 from the headphone output jack of our office computers while powering the amp from a USB port on the same machine. No noise is audible even with 100dB/mW+, 32 ohm headphones. An external AC USB adapter should minimize or eliminate the ground loop. Try an iPhone charger or equivalent.

Rubber feet should be in the static bag, and they're commonly overlooked and discarded. I'll have our shippers place these in a separate, clear bag for future shipments. Email us if you need replacement bumpers.

Quote:
Is that because it rubs off easy or something?  I think my case looks great except the wear it gets so quickly.  I assumed this was mostly the faulty case production John talked about?

Exactly, this is a defect limited to a few Silver cases. Sorry these shipped at all. We're replacing all bad Silver cases.

Red and Slate are not affected. We removed Silver from the preorder menu as soon as the issue was observed.

Originally Posted by mrbigsby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's great to have feedback like this. I was torn. We started with half this amount of bass boost and I hated it. So we doubled the intensity. It's insane for FA-011's (an already bass heavy set), but fun for more neutral headphones.

These updates will be posted to our blog shortly:

Good News: 99% of preorders have shipped as of 5PM CST!

Bad News: We're almost sold out. Mass production is underway, with full availability in early April.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #570 of 3,417
THanks for your in depth responses.

Did you know the lightning plug may (almost certainly, without opening one) have a little DAC in it? I want to explore this further before i say im certain of it. But so far its a safe assumption.

As far as the casing question goes, Id simply prefer to remove all variables, and quite enjoy the finish on the endplates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back