JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #602 of 3,417
Quote:
Nice impressions nOtEcH!

I have a question about the ISP programmer.
  1. I soldered the ISP headers onto the C5
  2. I attached the female end of the pocket programmer to the ISP header pins
  3. I tried to go through the suggested downloads and workarounds for Windows 7 but none of them seem to come to any decisive conclusions and/or the download links for the drivers are unavailable
  4. Trying to upload the plain, unaltered code to the C5 from Arduino's software (I have the C5's board selected in Tools -> Boards, I get the following error:

Try Adafruit's USBTiny drivers for Win7. I haven't had success with Sparkfun's drivers or workarounds on Win7 x64. Drivers are the biggest battle.

Switch C5 on after connecting the USBTiny. Then from Arduino, use File-->Upload Using Programmer. Its power light will remain off, but that supplies +5V power to the Atmega168.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #604 of 3,417
People with an AD8620 C5, any impressions on the sound? 

when i just received it and tried it out, it seemed a little treble happy but now is more subdued such that it is not piercing my ears now (120 hours). Lower volume thud when turning on (according to john). Cant compare to the 2227 one cos i dont have one.

in summary, tighter,punchier bass, slightly (just a tiny little) more emphasis in mids, extended high compared to my fiio e6

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #607 of 3,417
So tried the C5 with a pair of Beyerdynamic T90's tonight using gen 5 ipod and fiio lod cable. Listened to a few different songs (Fagen "IGY", Satriani "Always with You Always with Me", Deep Purple "Child in Time", Cake "No Wheels", Afro Cuban Allstars "Amor Verdadero", SRV "Texas Flood", Oysterhead "Radon Balloon"). 

All of the music was missing a good deal of mid levels. In Radon Balloon there are bells which usually 'ring' clearly and sound realistic coming out of my ipod or Schiit amp. They lost their realness using the C5. SRV's guitar lost its twang tone that he's known for. Also, I have to turn the amp up pretty far to drive the T90's and the noise floor is pretty loud at that level. These cans do not pair well with this amp.

Oddly the T90's sound better directly out of the ipod jack. Clarity and detail are better and the soundstage sounds more realistic. This doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm surprised how much better the Vmoda M80's sound with this amp compared to the T90's. The C5 really opened up the M80's all around. Before trying them with the C5 I wasn't entirely impressed with them. Playing most of the same songs mentioned above through them they really shined. I can't say enough about the C5 pushing the M80's. Its a great match. I definitely have a great portable rig using the Ipod 5th gen > fiio lod > JDS C5 > Vmoda M80.

Someone 'borrowed' my 1/8" adapter. As soon as I get it back I'll try the amp out with some Grado 325's. I have a feeling they'll pair a little better than the T90's due to their lower impedance.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #608 of 3,417
To my year the C5 is little on the bright side. It has less than 10 hours of burning in so still working on it, is this something that anyone else encountered? 

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #609 of 3,417
Quote:
To my year the C5 is little on the bright side. It has less than 10 hours of burning in so still working on it, is this something that anyone else encountered? 

Yes. Which is probably why I like it with the M80's. Their highs are lacking.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #610 of 3,417
Quote:

(the first amp listed in each bullet-point has the advantage, in my opinion; the order of bullet points is irrelevant)
* Sound:
  1. O2 gives the sense of a larger soundstage with more air between instruments; C5 sounds more boxed-in
  2. O2 sounds a bit more dynamic; C5 sounds a little duller (not boring dull, but instruments don't sound as rich)
  3. O2 has a smoother treble (I don't think smoother is the right word for this, nor is rolled-off, but it's not as fatiguing compared to the C5); C5 sounds a tad bit brighter
  4. C5 has a midrange that is is a tad bit more forward and engaging; O2 sounds more laid-back

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #612 of 3,417
Thanks guys, I will be listening more in detail once I have 200 hours of burning in. 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Just picked up a tester of the Venture Craft DD Socket 1 portable DAC to pair with the C5. Will also test with my ODAC and my O2.

Looking forward to your impression. I also have a DD Socket 1. I like how the CD and DD 1 stack on top of each other. Can you let me know which edition of the DD socket 1 you have?

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #613 of 3,417
Quote:
Thanks guys, I will be listening more in detail once I have 200 hours of burning in. 

Looking forward to your impression. I also have a DD Socket 1. I like how the CD and DD 1 stack on top of each other. Can you let me know which edition of the DD socket 1 you have?

I'm interested in this DAC too. Any review on how it pairs with the C5 will be appreciated. This may be a stupid question and not specific to the C5. If I'm using a LOD to feed an amp will my ipod's battery last longer? Seems like since it's not pushing the headphones it would consume less power...

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #615 of 3,417
Is it possible that some users who find the c5 to be bright might actually just be used to amps that are lacking in brightness? I don't find the c5 bright with any phones. It is bright in the sense that it sounds accurate with treble though, just not any brighter than neutral to my ears. But I assume this might change with different phones and perhaps impedance and power handling? Perhaps those sort of things can change the sound if they vary enough? I know the c5 is less than 2 ohms, but I just mean driving capability and such...

It doesn't sound that much different than my iPods do frequency wise, and iPods measure very flat. Instead it sounds cleaner with more clarity (not brightness) and perhaps better dynamics. And much more power. Just a thought. Has anyone done any measurements themselves by chance? It's probably too early, but just thought id ask...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back