JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,357 of 3,417
  Got my C5 and Senn HD25 Aluminum this week. Love the sound. Its been many years since I used an amp with an iPod. My iPod has all tunes on it recorded in Apple lossless to iTunes. Is there a better format than Apple Lossless to record to I tunes then to an iPod? I don't think I can bypass the iPods internal DAC so I did not get a C5d. Just trying to get best portable sound using an iPod. Lastly , does the connector from iPod to C5 make any difference? I just dot a Fio one , but saw fancy ones at ALO. I would appreciate any guidance.

I think if you're not Rockboxing your iPod, ALAC is the way to go.  I use my Rockbox'd iPod 6th gen with my C5 and the FiiO LOD cable; love it.

I've never tried a really expensive LOD, nor do I plan to.  I can't believe that little cable can make that big a (price) difference.  As an anecdotal point of reference, I bought an expensive aftermarket cable for my HE-500s.  Recently I was bitten by the DIY bug, and made a couple cables for them using Mogami W2799 wire ($0.64/foot! so cheap).  The most expensive parts are the SMC connectors.  Total cost for a six-foot cable is around $20.  I A/B'd my cable vs. my "nice" cable.  Zero difference (anyone wanna buy a "nice" cable?? 
biggrin.gif
 ).  So, as long as the FiiO LOD is not defective, I think you're fine.

Just my opinion, of course.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2,358 of 3,417

Quick report:

Learned more about DPC latency over the past few hours than I ever would wish upon another person.

Although DPC Latency Checker suggests that I don't have a DPC latency issue, I did all the recommended optimizations from various internet sources  to minimumize DPC latency in Windows 7 (such as http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-7/) such as updating drivers and BIOS, disabling CPU throttling in the BIOS, setting performance to "High Performance" in the power settings, setting processor scheduling to background services, etc.  I'm still getting dropouts but I think the frequency is reduced somewhat.

Issue is replicated with various USB cables and each of the USB ports on the Dell laptop.  

HOWEVER, the C5D doesn't seem to have the problem on my wife's 2013 MacBook Pro so it may be the C5D having issues with the particular OS/driver/hardware configuration in the Dell laptop rather than an issue with the C5D itself.

jseaber, I'll shoot you an email.

My hat's off to John for exemplary customer service and working with me to help resolve my issue.

No more sound dropouts after my C5D was reconfigured to work in USB adaptive mode.  Sound quality is exactly the same and I am once again a happy camper.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #2,359 of 3,417

My hat's off to John for exemplary customer service and working with me to help resolve my issue.

No more sound dropouts after my C5D was reconfigured to work in USB adaptive mode.  Sound quality is exactly the same and I am once again a happy camper.

What is difference between psych and adaptive modes on the C5D? I thought async is better (more accurate)?

BG

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2,363 of 3,417
Long Long LOOOOOONG time without posting friends..

I have the AK100 aswell and... even with the almost new c5d they sound very very good, This is a very powerful combo, and I am not sure enough if it sound better than his older brother C5. I might tend to think the C5 has a little bit more resolution, even thou they share same heart.... 

Anyway, for the price, this is by far the best portable combo I have heard... I sometimes forget the fact that I have a soulution system and I keep the headphones on.. for a long time.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,365 of 3,417

That's a pity. I was hoping your seller might be able to make one at a decent price as I've been looking at buying this one but the shipping is a killer: 

http://store.treoo.com/main/nocturnal-audio-right-angle-mini-usb-to-right-angle-micro-usb-otg-interconnect-cable.html

I currently use JDS' OTG cable and it's perfectly fine for desktop type use. I don't find it anywhere near as practical for pocket use though as it adds a good couple of inches to the length of my phone/C5D 'stack' and even light contact with the cable (which happens a fair bit when walking) can result in a sharp static noise through my earphones or in some cases audio playback will stop entirely. Weak point seems to be the micro usb (phone end).  

Having the volume / headphone jack end of the C5D facing downwards with the OTG cable facing upwards definitely helps but it makes volume adjustment much more of a hassle.

omg... 36$ shipping for me... :x so much xD

i also bought the jds labs otg cable but unfortunately, my huawei p6 is not supported... i don't know what to do to make it work :frowning2:

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,366 of 3,417
I'd really like to go for the C5D but im not sure it'll work with my Note 3 and I'm also not sure it would be a sonic upgrade when compared to my Fiio E18. Does the C5D share the 'house' JDS Labs sound because if it does I've read that the Odac pairs well with the Q701's?

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #2,367 of 3,417
Has anyone had an issue with the C5D's drivers?

Doesn't seem like it since I've done a couple searches on the internet and nothing has shown up.

I've got the code 10 error just after 4 days of owning one that I purchased from an authorized retailer.

I've pretty much done everything I could think of; uninstalling the driver, reinstalling it, rebooting my computer after a reinstall and trying different cables and ports.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,368 of 3,417
@Semont: Responded to your email earlier. This has been addressed deep in this thread once before (rare error). In summary, the DAC memory has been lost. We can provide a quick reset guide.

The latest production batch uses locked DAC memory, so this cannot occur.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #2,370 of 3,417
Just got it today!  This is a great sounding DAC/Amp like jseaber promised me.  It is the in the light of ODAC/O2 spirit.  It does sound very clear, but a bit brighter than I was expecting.  This is the sound I was hoping for, and first listen put shivers down my spine.  I listened to it with SE846, and I wish I could have tested with TG 334 I sold.

This DAC/Amp needs more exposure!  Great work JDS Labs, I look forward to more products down the line. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back