JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,371 of 3,417
Just got it today!  This is a great sounding DAC/Amp like jseaber promised me.  It is the in the light of ODAC/O2 spirit.  It does sound very clear, but a bit brighter than I was expecting.  This is the sound I was hoping for, and first listen put shivers down my spine.  I listened to it with SE846, and I wish I could have tested with TG 334 I sold.

This DAC/Amp needs more exposure!  Great work JDS Labs, I look forward to more products down the line. 

I'm currently using a Fiio E18 but have been looking at the C5D as a possible upgrade.

I feel the E18 is a tad lean sounding and hoped the C5D might introduce some warmth when paired with my AKG Q701's but from your comments I'm not so sure. Hmm...

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2,372 of 3,417
I actually, it's lacking bass.  I'm not liking the bass boost, it sounds unnatural.  
frown.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,373 of 3,417
I think It might be because the USB is not getting enough power so I tried the back where I believe provide more power.  I think it's fuller now.  
L3000.gif
  Sorry for the constant rant, just needed to correct myself.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #2,374 of 3,417
I'm currently using a Fiio E18 but have been looking at the C5D as a possible upgrade.

I feel the E18 is a tad lean sounding and hoped the C5D might introduce some warmth when paired with my AKG Q701's but from your comments I'm not so sure. Hmm...

E17 to me is lean at the same time too analytical, lacks naturalness to the sound.  C5D is natural sounding with more clarity, but I'm not liking the bass, doesn't sound natural.  It's quick tight bass, if you like tight bass, you may love it.  I like variations in the bass.  I know bass requires lots of power, so I will try with different plugs and cables and see if it changes.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,375 of 3,417
E17 to me is lean at the same time too analytical, lacks naturalness to the sound.  C5D is natural sounding with more clarity, but I'm not liking the bass, doesn't sound natural.  It's quick tight bass, if you like tight bass, you may love it.  I like variations in the bass.  I know bass requires lots of power, so I will try with different plugs and cables and see if it changes.

I can't see it changing all that much with different cables or plugs. Maybe you can return it still? Your experience has kinda ruled out the C5D and the E17 for me too. I'm looking for warmth, as I think you are. Perhaps iBasso or Leckerton show the way. More research is needed I think.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,376 of 3,417
This is not a bad DAC/Amp.  It's very clear.  if it has more natural sounding bass it would be perfect.  I don't like the bass boost, it becomes too refined and loses the natural variations.  I'm not sure if the output is really neutral, it has more treble than I would like.  When I listen to some sounds like raindrops, I can tell it's a bit brighter than how the raindrops should sound naturally.

Definitely better than E17 though.

Edit: not natural sounding as I initially thought

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,377 of 3,417
The c5d isn't warm or bright really, it's very neutral. And it will bring out your headphone's signature well with its low output impedance. If you want warmth coming from the fiio, you probably wouldn't be happy. But if you want neutral the c5d is excellent.

The detail level is superb though. Very transparent. The bass boost in my experience is excellent. But as it is a certain curve it won't fit every possible headphone, so i can see someone thinking it's not the best. I think it's a good mix of boost and a pretty good curve to fit most earphones well though.

Bottom line though, i wouldn't get the c5d in hopes of tilting the sound any one way. I would get it for accuracy personally.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #2,378 of 3,417
After extended listening, I'm starting to like it for it's clarity.  Sound is refined.  There is no bloat and everything sounds very fast.  You can get warmth, you just boost the bass.  Additional bass will add a bit of thickness to the sound.  I would definitely try it and see if you like it.

The bass being too controlled could be the SE836.  I need to try other iems to know if the sound changes to more natural bass with the boost.

When it comes to high definition, it certainly has it.  It tightens the sound.  I went back to my Galaxy S4 and it sounds bloated compared to C5D.  So it is more clear than anything I have.  Clarity, meaning the tones are very controlled.

I like clarity, but I am looking for a bit more natural clarity where it exactly reproduces the recorded sound.  Meaning natural clarity, not just tightening the sound. 

If you hear clapping or hard hitting rain, and based on that you can tell if the treble is extended beyond neutral.  meaning if the sound is life like or not.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #2,379 of 3,417
The c5d isn't warm or bright really, it's very neutral. And it will bring out your headphone's signature well with its low output impedance. If you want warmth coming from the fiio, you probably wouldn't be happy. But if you want neutral the c5d is excellent.

The detail level is superb though. Very transparent. The bass boost in my experience is excellent. But as it is a certain curve it won't fit every possible headphone, so i can see someone thinking it's not the best. I think it's a good mix of boost and a pretty good curve to fit most earphones well though.

Bottom line though, i wouldn't get the c5d in hopes of tilting the sound any one way. I would get it for accuracy personally.

That's the most informative thing I've read on the C5D thus far. Would you be in a position to compare it's sound to the Fiio E18 by any chance?

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #2,380 of 3,417
After extended listening, I'm starting to like it for it's clarity.  Sound is refined.  There is no bloat and everything sounds very fast.  You can get warmth, you just boost the bass.  Additional bass will add a bit of thickness to the sound.  I would definitely try it and see if you like it.

The bass being too controlled could be the SE836.  I need to try other iems to know if the sound changes to more natural bass with the boost.

When it comes to high definition, it certainly has it.  It tightens the sound.  I went back to my Galaxy S4 and it sounds bloated compared to C5D.  So it is more clear than anything I have.  Clarity, meaning the tones are very controlled.

I like clarity, but I am looking for a bit more natural clarity where it exactly reproduces the recorded sound.  Meaning natural clarity, not just tightening the sound. 

If you hear clapping or hard hitting rain, and based on that you can tell if the treble is extended beyond neutral.  meaning if the sound is life like or not.

I haven't heard them but I'd imagine those SE836's are no slouches when it comes to detail so the C5D should suit them well if it's main characteristic is transparency. That's actually a pretty good argument for me pairing the C5D with my Q701's as they don't exactly lack detail either.

We're getting there.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #2,381 of 3,417
More extended listeing.  The mids lacks body, and the sound is unnatural.  I don't know if it's because of the brightness, the high pitched sound doesn't have enough body to sound natural.  What I mean by natural is a sound have a body with a shape, and C5D sounds like it shaves it off.  That's the reason why it sounds refined yet without body.  Therefore, it's not high definition in the sense that it has all the necessary natural detail.  I guess my initial impressions fooled me into thinking it was clear and detailed, yet it only is refined, lacking natural body figure of the sound.  The treble is tight and refined, but the high mids are not as forward as the ODAC/O2.  I still favor the ODAC/O2.  Nothing has beaten it yet.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2,382 of 3,417
   I went back to my Galaxy S4 and it sounds bloated compared to C5D.  So it is more clear than anything I have.  Clarity, meaning the tones are very controlled.

This is with the stock player on the Galaxy, not the Neutron Player app.  The Neutron Player app sound fantastic still.  I don't know what this app does, but it definately ups the sound quality on my S4.  I don't know what this software does to hardware, but it's ingenious!

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,383 of 3,417
This is with the stock player on the Galaxy, not the Neutron Player app.  The Neutron Player app sound fantastic still.  I don't know what this app does, but it definately ups the sound quality on my S4.  I don't know what this software does to hardware, but it's ingenious!

I totally agree here. Neutron is the single most impressive Android music player out there. I only switched from iOS to Android last November and in that time I'm sure I've had every single music app available. None get even close to Neutron. It's like drawing back the curtains on a new day. Fabulous!

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,384 of 3,417
More thoughts.  Sorry, I keep getting more observations I have to share.  
biggrin.gif

Ok, I can see why someone might think it's neutral, but not natural sounding to me.  The treble is not natural, it's too refined or sharp(shaved,does reveal the flaws or the figures).  by neutral I mean the high mids are not forwarded like I would like.  It's not exactly neutral IMO, the treble is not.  I personally have a FR that I prefer which is neutral everywhere, but the high mids with full body, and of course must be natural sounding.  
tongue.gif

That's the thing I never liked about the Fiio products, it's sound is not natural to my ears.  Sounds too electronic.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,385 of 3,417
What were you using before the C5D?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back