JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #2,341 of 3,417
I meant, even stock player can do this job automatically. Moreover 3rd party music player like USB Audio Player Pro just give the max capabilities. 
Samsung player only support sampling rate no more than 48kHz.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #2,342 of 3,417
OK guys, I understand. Basically put it's 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing. I have always been very cynical about high resolution audio because, as Miceblue points out, if the original master is Crap then no amount of post production is going to improve things. As we say over here "you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear".

Good. That also saves me some money, which is nice.

What I really need to know though is will the C5D give an improvement in sound quality over my Fiio E18? In a way I kinda hope not because I've only recently bought the Fiio (admittedly for a different, more sensitive, pair of cans). It goes loud enough with the AKG Q701'S, generally, but I'm not sure it's giving me the best quality. The big limitation I have is that it must be portable. If I could remove this limitation and open my choice up to desktop amps then I would have lots of choice.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,343 of 3,417
Hello, i found a great seller on ebay who can make custom usb cables, so you can choose length, type of connector (right angled, left angled, straight) prices don't change it's still 3.99$ + 2$ shipping.

i first orderer this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Mini-USB-cable-right-angle-for-Creative-Zen-X-Fi2-/300503841459?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 this is the seller

but it's not 10cm long it's 16cm long including connectors, so i told him and he said he can ask the factory to make it 10cm including connectors, i received it some days ago, but unfortunately 10cm is just too short to use with the c5d and an ipod touch 5th gen. so now i asked him to make a 11cm cable.

i also asked if it was possible to make a custom OTG mini usb to micro usb of 9cm so that i can use the c5d with my cellphone with android (huawei p6), i'm still waiting for an answer. i'll keep you up to date if this is possible or not.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2,344 of 3,417
  Hello, i found a great seller on ebay who can make custom usb cables, so you can choose length, type of connector (right angled, left angled, straight) prices don't change it's still 3.99$ + 2$ shipping.

For once people actually custom make cable that isn't over-priced? Great to know, now please tell us who he is :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #2,345 of 3,417

For once people actually custom make cable that isn't over-priced? Great to know, now please tell us who he is :)

yup :) it's the seller from the link i gave :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #2,346 of 3,417
like i promessed some pages ago in this thread, here are some pictures of my setup with my ipod touch 5th gen:

this is with the custom cable (10 cm long including connectors)

http://s21.postimg.org/41vnrdjt3/IMG_20140313_142905.jpg
http://s15.postimg.org/4w029nsrf/IMG_20140313_142951.jpg

this is with the original cable you can buy here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Mini-USB-cable-right-angle-for-Creative-Zen-X-Fi2-/300503841459?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 so that one is like i said 16 cm long including connectors:

http://s24.postimg.org/u6c3l1kph/IMG_20140313_143222.jpg
http://s17.postimg.org/6594ala9b/IMG_20140313_143116.jpg

so nowi'm waiting for the 11cm cable that will fit perfectly.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #2,347 of 3,417

i first orderer this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Mini-USB-cable-right-angle-for-Creative-Zen-X-Fi2-/300503841459?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 this is the seller

but it's not 10cm long it's 16cm long including connectors, so i told him and he said he can ask the factory to make it 10cm including connectors, i received it some days ago, but unfortunately 10cm is just too short to use with the c5d and an ipod touch 5th gen. so now i asked him to make a 11cm cable.

i also asked if it was possible to make a custom OTG mini usb to micro usb of 9cm so that i can use the c5d with my cellphone with android (huawei p6), i'm still waiting for an answer. i'll keep you up to date if this is possible or not.

Nice find :smile:

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,348 of 3,417
ok so the seller has replied:

Sorry, after checking with the factory, it does not have the OTG (On-The-Go) certified micro usb to mini usb cable. Thank you.

so no custom cables for android users unfortunately. i think the best option for android users is this: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/86/micro-to-mini-usb-otg-cable/

i'm going to order one soon.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,349 of 3,417
In short: no.

The master typically associated with high resolution audio does make a difference though.

[good graphics deleted]

You have done a really good job demonstrating it is the mastering process that makes the difference. I want to add on a related note that some people can actually hear the difference between 256K lossy compressed files and FLAC files. I did an blind A/B test on a musician with a ear superior to mine. This really surprised me. This is one reason why I purchase the CDs instead of downloading the music online. I do find the price difference to be negligible, and I have a physical copy for a backup. But also an increase in resolution, like 192 kHz/24 bit FLAC files over the CD specs, does not make a difference. An understanding of signal theory proves this.

What do you guys think?

BG

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,350 of 3,417

so no custom cables for android users unfortunately. i think the best option for android users is this: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/86/micro-to-mini-usb-otg-cable/

i'm going to order one soon.

That's a pity. I was hoping your seller might be able to make one at a decent price as I've been looking at buying this one but the shipping is a killer: 

http://store.treoo.com/main/nocturnal-audio-right-angle-mini-usb-to-right-angle-micro-usb-otg-interconnect-cable.html

I currently use JDS' OTG cable and it's perfectly fine for desktop type use. I don't find it anywhere near as practical for pocket use though as it adds a good couple of inches to the length of my phone/C5D 'stack' and even light contact with the cable (which happens a fair bit when walking) can result in a sharp static noise through my earphones or in some cases audio playback will stop entirely. Weak point seems to be the micro usb (phone end).  

Having the volume / headphone jack end of the C5D facing downwards with the OTG cable facing upwards definitely helps but it makes volume adjustment much more of a hassle.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #2,351 of 3,417
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the C5D but there are some issues I still have and I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me answer them. This has to be an upgrade to my Fiio E18, not necessarily in power output but in sound quality. I feel my E18 is managing to drive my Q701's but I'm sure the quality could be better, perhaps a touch of warmth might help.

First of all, how powerful is the C5D? I know the E18 puts out 300mW into 32 ohms but the C5D is measured differently, so how do I compare their respective outputs?

Next question. Is anyone here using their C5D via OTG USB to a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and if so are they having to use a particular player or can I continue to use Neutron?

And finally I think. Has anyone had any engraving done and if so are there any pictures available?

I know the Odac works well with the Q701's (actually I assume so since they've used a pair on the product page) but I need a mobile amp, sadly. I'm not expecting the same kind of power from a portable as can be output from a mains powered machine but a similar sonic signature would be nice.

I'm asking all these questions because I have no way of auditioning it in Scotland (I wish) and I'm asking here because who else will know better than you guys.

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,352 of 3,417
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the C5D but there are some issues I still have and I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me answer them. This has to be an upgrade to my Fiio E18, not necessarily in power output but in sound quality. I feel my E18 is managing to drive my Q701's but I'm sure the quality could be better, perhaps a touch of warmth might help.

First of all, how powerful is the C5D? I know the E18 puts out 300mW into 32 ohms but the C5D is measured differently, so how do I compare their respective outputs?

Next question. Is anyone here using their C5D via OTG USB to a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and if so are they having to use a particular player or can I continue to use Neutron?

And finally I think. Has anyone had any engraving done and if so are there any pictures available?

I know the Odac works well with the Q701's (actually I assume so since they've used a pair on the product page) but I need a mobile amp, sadly. I'm not expecting the same kind of power from a portable as can be output from a mains powered machine but a similar sonic signature would be nice.

I'm asking all these questions because I have no way of auditioning it in Scotland (I wish) and I'm asking here because who else will know better than you guys.

Thanks.

power (W) = (VRMS^2) / R

P = (1.182 VRMS)^2 / 32 Ω = 0.0437 W = 43.7 mW @ 32 Ω
3.580 VRMS = 85.4 mW @ 150 Ω
4.146 VRMS = 28.6 mW @ 600 Ω

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2,353 of 3,417
power (W) = (VRMS^2) / R

P = (1.182 VRMS)^2 / 32 Ω = 0.0437 W = 43.7 mW @ 32 Ω
3.580 VRMS = 85.4 mW @ 150 Ω
4.146 VRMS = 28.6 mW @ 600 Ω

Cool, thanks. So if I'm reading that correctly the C5D is putting out roughly 50% more power into the same load. The Q701's are rated at 62Ohms so that'll equate to around 21mW against the 15mW from the E18. That's a healthy increase in power. Sorry, maths has never been my strong point.

Is raw power output the only factor which matters? What I mean is, does more power mean more control? Because my E18 enables more than enough volume as it is, I just sense that it loses its grip when the music gets 'busy', if you catch my drift.

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #2,355 of 3,417
Got my C5 and Senn HD25 Aluminum this week. Love the sound. Its been many years since I used an amp with an iPod. My iPod has all tunes on it recorded in Apple lossless to iTunes. Is there a better format than Apple Lossless to record to I tunes then to an iPod? I don't think I can bypass the iPods internal DAC so I did not get a C5d. Just trying to get best portable sound using an iPod. Lastly , does the connector from iPod to C5 make any difference? I just dot a Fio one , but saw fancy ones at ALO. I would appreciate any guidance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back