JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Sep 2, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #481 of 641
Thanks for your reply. I am torn between these exact same options lol..Atom amp or L30 amp. D10s or E30 dac. Can't find any proper comparison among these models. I like slightly detailed brighter signature than warm and bassy.
Between I am also looking to purchase the Legacy 3 as well, Can you please share your opinion. Does it sound good for hard rock/prog rock/classic rock/jazz/grunge? I have S8f for the detail monster in me, now looking for something smooth with fuller sound but surely appreciate some details as well. Thanks @Raikon33

Like @gooeyrich said, the Atom components measure very accurate. So do the Topping components. You can use them as your reference for what a netural setup should sound like.

I ordered the L30 and then returned it. No difference in sound quality than the Atom amp, which I expected. Then ASR's measurements came out while I had it. When using a DAC with 2V input, equal performance for low impedance, but the Atom has slightly more higher impedance output. And I was put off by the toggles on the L30. Very tiny with a slight bit of play. Figured it might be a point of failure.

The one place the L30 does have an advantage is the low gain option, which is -9db vs. 0db on the Atom. That's a benefit for very low impedance, high sensitivity IEMs. So you might prefer the L30 if you go with the Legacy 3s. But for anyone else that's in the US, it's 40% more for no better performance. EU, Asia, and other places, it might be the better value.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #482 of 641
Like @gooeyrich said, the Atom components measure very accurate. So do the Topping components. You can use them as your reference for what a netural setup should sound like.

I ordered the L30 and then returned it. No difference in sound quality than the Atom amp, which I expected. Then ASR's measurements came out while I had it. When using a DAC with 2V input, equal performance for low impedance, but the Atom has slightly more higher impedance output. And I was put off by the toggles on the L30. Very tiny with a slight bit of play. Figured it might be a point of failure.

The one place the L30 does have an advantage is the low gain option, which is -9db vs. 0db on the Atom. That's a benefit for very low impedance, high sensitivity IEMs. So you might prefer the L30 if you go with the Legacy 3s. But for anyone else that's in the US, it's 40% more for no better performance. EU, Asia, and other places, it might be the better value.
@Thanks for the suggestion @cel4145 Being in US, I am leaning towards Atom for their tried and tested quality and customer service. The L30's -9db switch sounds tempting but I'd anyday choose Atom for whatever I've read about them in the last couple weeks have impressed me. My final decision depends on whether atom can drive sensitive iem's without much hissing. I use BA iem's mostly so can the Atom do it? This is that one big question in my mind.
I've read Atom is a warm sounding amp, is it true? I lean towards slightly brighter detailed sound.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #483 of 641
@Thanks for the suggestion @cel4145 Being in US, I am leaning towards Atom for their tried and tested quality and customer service. The L30's -9db switch sounds tempting but I'd anyday choose Atom for whatever I've read about them in the last couple weeks have impressed me. My final decision depends on whether atom can drive sensitive iem's without much hissing. I use BA iem's mostly so can the Atom do it? This is that one big question in my mind.
I've read Atom is a warm sounding amp, is it true? I lean towards slightly brighter detailed sound.

See my previous comment. It is a highly accurate measuring amp. It does not color the sound. It will sound like nothing.

I don't use IEMs with my desktop setup, so don't know.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #484 of 641
Anybody here who has tried low impedance iem's on Atom? I have a 15ohms Fearless S8F and 10ohms Shuoer H27.
Thanks

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #486 of 641
Anybody here who has tried low impedance iem's on Atom? I have a 15ohms Fearless S8F and 10ohms Shuoer H27.
Thanks

If you don't get an answer here, you could ask at the review thread for the Atom amp at ASR. Lot of knowledgeable people about its performance.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #487 of 641
I don't have the S8F but I have the Legacy 3 iem which has around 9 ohms impedance and 108dB SPL/mW sensitivity. It has no hissing issue on the Atom amp, dead silent.
I normally listen to classic rock and alternative rock, for me, they sound excellent on my setup(topping D30 dac/Atom amp combo).
There are other budget combo you can also consider these days, like Topping E30/L30, Schiit Modi/Magni 3+(or Heresy), etc.
If you already have your eyes on D10s/Atom combo, that looks a very good combo as well.
Atom sounds much better than Topping imho.

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #488 of 641
Just a heads up for anybody that you know who needs a cheap amp / DAC setup. The Apple USB-C dongle measures very good for a DAC. However it only has 1V DAC output.

The guys over at ASR did the calculations. When the Atom is used with the Apple dongle, the power output where it reaches clipping is

530mw at 32 ohm
63mw at 300 ohm

So this is a better setup for single ended output than the $130 iFi Zen DAC that is very popular. It will drive most popular mid-fi headphones. And then someone always has the option later on of replacing the Apple dongle if they got something very difficult to drive.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #489 of 641
Atom sounds much better than Topping imho.

“much” in this context is pretty ridiculous. If you auditioned them at exactly matched volumes I honestly don’t believe you can tell them apart. This is not magic, amplifiers operate by science. Vastly different, well implemented amplifiers, don’t sound “much” different. This is from actual experience. Low distortion, low output impedance amplifiers don’t sound different at all, let alone better, and definitely not “much” better. Now, very minor differences in volume do make a huge difference. So unless someone supports such a claim by detailing their testing method, I wouldn’t trust it.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #490 of 641
The Apple USB-C dongle measures very good for a DAC.

The dongle is excellent! So you’re using that as the input into the Atom? That could actually be really convenient... why didn’t I think of that?

Sep 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #491 of 641
The dongle is excellent! So you’re using that as the input into the Atom? That could actually be really convenient... why didn’t I think of that?

Actually, I use a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle ($40) that measures even more accurate and has 2V DAC output. See my review https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudi...udget_dac_tempotec_sonata_hd_pro_usbc_dongle/

But that led me to start a discussion at ASR on how much power output the Atom could do with just the Apple dongle and 1V. And it's pretty impressive.

So yeah. Basically for $110, somebody can get a kick ass set up with an Atom and the Apple USB-C dongle.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #492 of 641
Is the JDS Atom supposed to run so hot? Putting the JDS Atom DAC on top/below only increases the temperature between them. Hoping the heat won't significantly degrade the components.

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #493 of 641
Hey guys, looking for a desktop AMP for my SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII. Currently using SMSL T2 Tube AMP with it but after a solid-state one for my desktop set-up. The thing is, I mostly have easy to drive IEM's and headphones, so not sure if the Atom is overkill. I do plan on getting planar IEMs soon, so want something in place to drive them efficiently.

Would my easy to drive IEMs still benefit from the Atom? The T2 is great but quite warm and 'safe' sounding? Wanting something bit more dynamic, bit more weight behind it for some added body to thinner IEMs. Any help much appreciated.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #494 of 641
Is the JDS Atom supposed to run so hot? Putting the JDS Atom DAC on top/below only increases the temperature between them. Hoping the heat won't significantly degrade the components.

I have my Atom amp sitting on top of a JDS El DAC II. Both the amp and DAC remain cool to touch through hours of use.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #495 of 641
I have my Atom amp sitting on top of a JDS El DAC II. Both the amp and DAC remain cool to touch through hours of use.

Hawh. Maybe I just have a defective stack then.. I'm not complaining though, it's getting cold this time around and I'm in need of hand warmers anyway. Thanks for your input, hopefully mine don't set on fire down the road lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back