JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #451 of 641
I'm listening now for the first time to a new M570 (same driver as Sendy Aiva) and on the Atom and it's driving it just fine. I've been on low gain, not past about 2:00 on the pot. It's fed by a Grace SDAC, fwiw. I think it did sound a little better balanced on the THX 789 at home, but I haven't done enough listening to tell if it's the extra power or the balanced or both that makes that difference.

Bottom line, I'm happy with this driver on the Atom.
Thank you!! his experience helped me a lot, I hope I am not wrong with the Atom, wish me luck

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #452 of 641
Thank you!! his experience helped me a lot, I hope I am not wrong with the Atom, wish me luck
can souble confirm that the atom is sufficient, just listened at my dealer

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #456 of 641
I'm using an Atom to drive my new Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro headphones. Really having a great time listening to this pairing on favorite tunes via Qobuz and Audirvana! The Atom easily powers the 1990. I did change the volume knob on the Atom with a slightly less wide and deeper aluminum one, bought on Amazon. I like the new feel and how the knob backlighting is now more visible. 2020-07-01 13.29.24.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #457 of 641
I'm using an Atom to drive my new Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro headphones. Really having a great time listening to this pairing on favorite tunes via Qobuz and Audirvana! The Atom easily powers the 1990. I did change the volume knob on the Atom with a slightly less wide and deeper metal one, bought on Amazon. I like the new feel and how the knob backlighting is now more visible.2020-07-01 13.29.24.jpg
I have a similar knob and I can say that I enjoy the atom more like this xD.

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #458 of 641
I'm using an Atom to drive my new Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro headphones. Really having a great time listening to this pairing on favorite tunes via Qobuz and Audirvana! The Atom easily powers the 1990. I did change the volume knob on the Atom with a slightly less wide and deeper metal one, bought on Amazon. I like the new feel and how the knob backlighting is now more visible.2020-07-01 13.29.24.jpg
Nice...I'll look for a similar aluminium volume knob soon.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #461 of 641
I'm using an Atom to drive my new Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro headphones. Really having a great time listening to this pairing on favorite tunes via Qobuz and Audirvana! The Atom easily powers the 1990. I did change the volume knob on the Atom with a slightly less wide and deeper aluminum one, bought on Amazon. I like the new feel and how the knob backlighting is now more visible.2020-07-01 13.29.24.jpg

If you can find it, would you mind sharing the link to that volume knob?

Edit. Never mind. Should have read ahead first :)

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #462 of 641
I just received my new Atom amp to run my HD600's. This is an entirely different beast than my Woo WA6 (v1). :astonished:

In every way and more so than I anticipated! Everything about the WA6 just feels solid and nice. In comparison everything about the Atom is really light and cheap. It doesn't feel like it will last forever... but then again it's just sitting there so it will probably be just fine. And at this price it's completely replaceable.

Sound wise, the Atom is exactly what I was hoping for. Clarity, bass slam, deep insight into the music, it's all there. Of course, that's not what you buy a tube amp from, and the WA6 is like a warm sweater in comparison. If you listen for it, all the detail is there in the WA6 though, especially with the Brimar in it's just great too. I guess I could live with either, I'm not religious about accuracy. But what I pick up the headphones for these days, the Atom delivers more.

IMG_3611.jpg

So.. if anyone (in Europe) is interested in a lightly used (I think I've had it for 9 years or something now, it looks brand new) Woo Audio WA6, first generation, with a Sophia, a Brimar, and a bunch of matched NOS 6DE7 tubes, shoot me a PM :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #463 of 641
I just received my new Atom amp to run my HD600's. This is an entirely different beast than my Woo WA6 (v1). :astonished:

In every way and more so than I anticipated! Everything about the WA6 just feels solid and nice. In comparison everything about the Atom is really light and cheap. It doesn't feel like it will last forever... but then again it's just sitting there so it will probably be just fine. And at this price it's completely replaceable.

Sound wise, it's exactly what I was hoping for. Clarity, bass slam, deep insight into the music, it's all there. Of course, that's not what you buy a tube amp from, and the WA6 is like a warm sweater in comparison. If you listen for it, all the detail is there in the WA6 though, especially with the Brimar in it's just great too. I guess I could live with either, I'm not religious about accuracy. But what I pick up the headphones for these days, the Atom delivers more.

IMG_3611.jpg

So.. if anyone (in Europe) is interested in a lightly used (I think I've had it for 9 or something now, it looks brand new) Woo Audio WA6, first generation, with a Sophia, a Brimar, and a bunch of matched NOS 6DE7 tubes, shoot me a PM :dt880smile:
With which Dac have you paired your Atom? and with what headphones?

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #464 of 641
I’m running a Rega Planar 3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze, or a NAD C525 into a Cambridge DAC Magic 100. Also some Tidal streaming, but kinda roundabout via an Apple TV into the same DAC, it’s not my primary mode. The Cambridge DAC was a pretty great upgrade for the CDP actually. I got it over the various Topping models because it is available and affordable used. A Topping E30 (and an L30 amp) would probably also be fine. We’re really at straight-wire-with-gain level with these things, you can just pick whatever based on features, availability and finishing.

The headphones are Sennheiser HD600’s, I got those ugly/beautiful blue marble ones.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #465 of 641
Also, on rock albums the Atom is what I call loud at 11 o’clock, on quieter albums (mastered for more dynamic range) I’m still below 1. At low gain. Excellent stuff.

... I do which there was a luxury upgrade version that feels better. What’s inside is not really the only thing that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back