JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Aug 18, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #331 of 641
JDS is US based. Not based out of China, so no, you will not get it from Aliexpress.

You can try Headsound.de in Europe. They actually list them with requisite taxes included in seems.

http://www.headsound.de/epages/6302...Products/JDSATOMAMP/SubProducts/JDSATOMAMP-bk
For those in the uk here is a link

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/jds-labs-atom-headphone-amplifier.html

I got my Aom here was fast and easy to get :)

Thank you for your replies. The UK shop does look attractive with its pricing, which is significantly cheaper than the German shop and JDS Labs website (when you include shipping and customs). Also, if something goes wrong and I need to return it for repairs, I would rather return it to the UK than US.

1 small thing about the UK shop is that it comes with the UK power adapter, which obviously has a different plug. Since the voltage-usage for electronics is the same between the rest of Europe and the UK (220-240V), the only thing I need is an adapter for the UK plug.

I will still look around for a bit, but thank you for these recommendations.

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #332 of 641
Paired up my Atom with a freshly delivered Khadas Toneboard.. sounds even better now :p

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #334 of 641
Still waiting to learn what such a toneboatd does and how it is used, tho I'm sure the name 'Khadas' appeared in somewhat different form before...

Toneboard is a versatile USB DAC, it employs a very high end DAC chip with good quality clock (low jitter), good analog circuitry. It's been measured as one of the cleanest/best DACS regardless of price on a certain forum. Basically it's a little board that has a USB-c connector which you hook up to your PC using a USB cable.. drivers automatically get installed. It has RCA outputs and what looks like coax digital input. You get it bare, without a case for $99, for that price its impossible to beat. Case is available online for about $45 with a month long lead/delivery time from France.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #335 of 641
Toneboard is a versatile USB DAC, it employs a very high end DAC chip with good quality clock (low jitter), good analog circuitry. It's been measured as one of the cleanest/best DACS regardless of price on a certain forum. Basically it's a little board that has a USB-c connector which you hook up to your PC using a USB cable.. drivers automatically get installed. It has RCA outputs and what looks like coax digital input. You get it bare, without a case for $99, for that price its impossible to beat. Case is available online for about $45 with a month long lead/delivery time from France.

Wow! Now that's what I call a supremely clear and cogent explanation! Thank-you! And where might this source for same in Froggieland you refer to be?

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #337 of 641
Aug 21, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #338 of 641
What I find amazing about the Atom is that I can't really find anyone that recommends an amp - at virtually any sane price > the Atom! There is minor conjecture that the (unicorn of an unavailable thing!) Drop THX 789 is similar in performance. There are things like the latest Benchmark amp and things in the thousands of (currency of your choice), but - that is about it. So - does anyone have a credible Atom improvement in the < 1k GBP range? I can't think of one, nor has anyone really recommended one!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #339 of 641
What I find amazing about the Atom is that I can't really find anyone that recommends an amp - at virtually any sane price > the Atom! There is minor conjecture that the (unicorn of an unavailable thing!) Drop THX 789 is similar in performance. There are things like the latest Benchmark amp and things in the thousands of (currency of your choice), but - that is about it. So - does anyone have a credible Atom improvement in the < 1k GBP range? I can't think of one, nor has anyone really recommended one!

The atom actually performs better in single ended than THX789 so the only jump up would be the HPA4. Quite a leap huh.

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #340 of 641
The atom actually performs better in single ended than THX789 so the only jump up would be the HPA4. Quite a leap huh.

For the money the Atom is the amp of the people lol beanchmark nice stuff but us audiohobos will never hear it :p

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #342 of 641
Anyone had a chance to compare their Modhouse Argon on the Atom and an Emotiva A100? I have an A100 and really like it with my Argons, but if I could get away with something as small and transportable as the Atom, I might be willing to make the switch.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #343 of 641
Atom is also more powerful compared to unbalanced 789.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #344 of 641
@chrisdrop "does anyone have a credible Atom improvement in the < 1k GBP range? I can't think of one, nor has anyone really recommended one!"

I accept the challenge. Hold my beer.

First of all the ATOM is the amp of the century for $100. <--- Let this be known :)

Lets get this started:

Liquid Spark
Magi
SMSL SH-8
Topping D10,
Topping MX3 Pro,
AudioQuest DragonFly

This small list are its competitors. The Atom beats them all. And equals and edge over the Liquid spark and Magi by maybe 5 to 10%

Now from $250 to $1000. Sadly the Atom is beaten to being outclass. But comes extremely close. Heres only a handful of amplifiers that beats the Atom.

THX789 - $400
Cayin iHA-6 - $600
Arcam rhead - $500
Liquid Carbon X - $350
Rupert Neve 2015 - $500 - A medical doctor amp.
Rupert Neve Fidelice 2019 - $600 - Oh look theres a revision to an ultimate amp!
Gilmore Lite - $500
Aune X1S Pro 2019 - $300
RME DAC - $999
Questyle CMA400i - $999
Neurochrome HP1 $1000 - Discontinue. But getting a revision soon TBA 2019. This sounded like a $4000 amp. The real bargain of the century for an ultimate bargain amp

Again this doesn't mean that the Atom is weak or cant challenge these amp.

Over $1000

Over hundreds of amplifiers to name. And its a must to add in Tube amps. So it becomes endless.

Example, We looking at

GSX-MINI to $2000
Benchmark HPA4 $3000
Apex Pinnacle2 which is $20,000

And we not even talking about Speaker amps to power headphones :fearful: , thats another 5000 + amplifiers to mention.

Speaker amp outclass all amps!! - https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/headphone-amplifiers/MHA150

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #345 of 641
Thanks for a solid list and proper effort!

I have a setup that I am happy with for my office (Atom+ToppingD50s). At home I am driving my better headphones with an iFi micro black label. I prefer the Atom+Topping. I'd like to get a separate DAC/ amp for my home setup. I'd rather not just get the same kit 2x (Atom + Topping). In DAC-land, there are many clearer (IMO) options/ alternatives, so this leaves me considering amps.

I am interested in amps between the Atom and the ~$1k or so mark. I am not massively cost sensitive, but I'd like to get something > the Atom for a premium. That seems the challenge.

Another one the fun challenges of this hobby is that amps are not so easy to audition, so feedback and commentary from communities like this really help guide the search.

On to the amps...

There are several solid combo DAC/ amp combo products. I would prefer independent components for optionality. I know buy and you can bypass various parts, but it seems silly to buy a DAC/ amp and bypass the amp if there are alternatives. I think the RME ADI DAC is the only one I would consider for that.. You list a few combos below + there are others like: Burson Play, (new) Burson Conductor 3, Sabaj D5, RME ADI-2 Pro.

THX789 - $400
This was the 1st one in my Atom alternative list. I suppose I could have taken the drop, paid the premium and been done with the quest..
It has not been commonly said that this outclasses the Atom (perhaps the opposite w/o balanced). I haven't been able to find anywhere in London that I could listen to one anyhow!
They are not widely available. I know a drop just finished. Living in the UK means you can add 30% to the cost (import, VAT, etc.). Given I couldn't listen, returns would be a pain, etc. I passed on last drop.
Cayin iHA-6 - $600
I don't know this one. I will investigate. Thanks.​

Arcam rhead - $500
I have this on my list of possible amps. Currently available for £168.99 in the UK, which seems a good price for this one. It has reasonable positive commentary in the various internet communities.
Liquid Carbon X - $350
Doesn't seem to measure up (ASR and other forums commentary eliminated this from my list)
Rupert Neve 2015 - $500 - A medical doctor amp.
Is this the RNHP you refer to? When you say "a medical doctor amp", what do you mean? That it is hyper-analytical or something else?
As a former studio engineer, I have an inherent wish for any Neve product!
This was on my interest list, then the Fedelice was announced...
Rupert Neve Fidelice 2019 - $600 - Oh look theres a revision to an ultimate amp!
I saw this at CanJam. Keen to see when it is available. (https://fidelice.com/where-to-buy) Not available yet, and likely to be even longer to UK availability.
Again, I have an inherent wish for a Neve product...
Gilmore Lite - $500
I don't know this one. Will investigate.​

Aune X1S Pro 2019 - $300
As an amp, seems OK, not really an upgrade on Atom?​

RME DAC - $999
Certainly a strong DAC. Absolutely pretty lights, EQ, etc great. On my list, but unclear how strong the amp is in the unit. I think the RME ADI-2 Pro is the likely contender, but ~2x the cost + integrated DAC/ amp is not my preference.​

Questyle CMA400i - $999
I don't know this one. I will investigate.​

Neurochrome HP1 $1000 - Discontinue. But getting a revision soon TBA 2019. This sounded like a $4000 amp. The real bargain of the century for an ultimate bargain amp
I am keen to see what happens with the Neurochrome successor, probably worth going up a bit from that $1k mark for this one.​

That leaves on my list:
  1. Neurochrome successor in T+?
  2. Neve Fedelice in T+?
  3. Arcam rhead
  4. ... TBD
That is probably my biggest forum post ever, so I will stop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back