Jazz and Classical on a budget.
Mar 18, 2011 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

deadsea

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Need abit of help with chosing earphones on a tiny budget. $80 to be exact... Considering the genre that i listen mostly, jazz(male/female vocals/instrumentals) or classical orchestra. I believe even an ok phone could be challenging to find.

Currently with a ep-630. Got it 4-5 years ago, when i was the typical pop listener. The bass causes a headache for me now and the violins sound all smushed. So looking to get it replaced at a similar budget with decent sq.

I've narrowed down a small list based on the 2 mass iem reviews. These supposedly have a decent soundstage.

PR401 / xscape (too bassy?)
PL-30/50 

Pretty much needs to be fairly isolating since I use it on the bus. Any other options? Even recommendations for 2nd hand is fine if it'll potentially fit in the budget.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Don't know about the PR401, but I prefer the PL30 over the PL50 for classical. Better soundstage and slightly more natural rendering of instruments.

I picked the PL30 as a backup pair of iems and they're nice for the price.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 12

On this budget consider the Etymotic MC5. For my taste at least, their clean, neutral sound is very pleasing for acoustic genres. And the isolation and build quality are both first rate. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 12
At this price range I have owned the PL30 and the ViSang R02 (aka the Brainwavz Pro Alpha) and both of them should do well.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 12
I think both PR401 and X-cape are a good choice! If you are looking at clarity with a tinge of warmness and a good tremble extension then X-cape will be good. If you are looking for soundstage and a nice V-shaped sound with a good bass response than Pr401 is gd.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
On this budget consider the Etymotic MC5. For my taste at least, their clean, neutral sound is very pleasing for acoustic genres. And the isolation and build quality are both first rate. I couldn't be happier with mine.

I'm not happy with these, apart from isolation and build quality. They cannot be worn over-ear because their strain reliefs are stupidly angled. They may be reasonably clean and neutral but lack dynamic range and sound pretty boring and lifeless to my ears. I'd take the $25 PL30 over them any time. Different preferences, of course.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, it's been obvious to me for a long time that a lot more people like neutral reproduction in theory than like it in practice. But for well-recorded classical or jazz music, it gives me pleasure. YMMV.

P.S. I don't exempt myself. I admit for example that the "realer than real" sound of Grado headphones is addictive.

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 12
Interesting, I'd had thought that more would recommend the PL-50 above the 30. My assumption of bigger number should be better then all. Just wondering though. Anyone has experience with the PR-401 with classical? Based on |joker|'s review it seems suitable for that use. As you all might have caught on, I'm not too confident with the pl-30. It does look a bit flimsy.

Thanks for the suggestion of the MC5. I'll go have a look. I don't usually wear earphones over-ear since I typically sit on the bus. Not much movement there.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 12
Even if you do move around, microphonics are suppressed well enough by using the supplied shirt clip on the cable.

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 12
The Xcapes are pretty good all rounders and do most genres well but if you will be listening to classical only, you should at least give the PR-401 a listen. They sound fantastic to me when it comes to classical and jazz, just make sure you use them with sony hybrids be it real or fake. They really sound bad on almost every other tips I've ever tried on them.

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 12
The new ver2 of the x-capes seem to be rather bassy based on the reviews on it. Guess i really should go try the 2 out even though the plase is somewhat out of the way. Listening excursion i guess..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back