James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 9, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #181 of 428
Thanks for the generosities. I have got etys for ages but would be nice to have a handy iem to serve use during my daily commute. etys just give me too much cord microphonics. Those CK100 looks nice.... 

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #182 of 428
Wow, 13 pages already! I wonder how many it'll get up to.

Anyway, it's good to see that there are some truly generous people out there. It's acts like this that makes this community even better. I'd be interested in trying out the CK100s and comparing to my CK10s. Good luck to everyone who entered. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #183 of 428
Interested in CK100 triple balanced armature, I own some dynamic driver IEM (among them I love RE0 and PL30 ),  a SHE9850 single BA IEM and I'm curious to ear the differences. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #184 of 428
the fx500 sound interesting, i've never tried woodies before, heres hoping for the best!

and james444 u are a god amongst men. not that flattery will get me anywhere...

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #185 of 428
Hi James,

I'll throw my number in the hat and thank you for your generosity!

I heard the Ck10 thanks to Rawster and while I'm usually a dynamic driver sort of guy, I was really impressed with the tightly controlled, detailed, quick sound of the Ck10, as well as its build quality. As I understand it, that's only a dual BA design. I'm very interested in seeing what Audio Technica did with their showcase triple driver Ck100, particularly in the way the mids seem to elicit such a wide range of responses from people.

As for dynamic driver iems, I'd like to hear the Fx500. While the great timbre of the mids and the bass are said to be the strong points, I'm interested more in the treble that people mostly comment on (or complain about). I remember there was even a mod for it to take the edge off!

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #188 of 428
it's quite hard to find those iems in indonesia, it'd be a pleasure to hear one of those iems 
etysmile.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #190 of 428
Wow... what stroke of fortune!  I came into this IEM section (which I never do) to find out if there's such a thing as "cheap IEMs that do not carry noise from the stupid cables".  :D

So my natural question (other than hoping to be a dang lucky winner of 6) is do any of these display that annoying "feature" of audio cablesl sheer movements feeding into the IEMs?!  I own Razer's m100 and Altec Lansing's UHP206 and both annoy the living daylights out of me for causing this...

how can they be "portable" when my ears are under constant bombardment of noise from the cables moving about?!  I certainly hope none of these 6 suffer from that...  Any other suggestions (that are under $100) would be also appreciated...

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #191 of 428

Quote:
Wow... what stroke of fortune!  I came into this IEM section (which I never do) to find out if there's such a thing as "cheap IEMs that do not carry noise from the stupid cables".  :D

So my natural question (other than hoping to be a dang lucky winner of 6) is do any of these display that annoying "feature" of audio cablesl sheer movements feeding into the IEMs?!  I own Razer's m100 and Altec Lansing's UHP206 and both annoy the living daylights out of me for causing this...

how can they be "portable" when my ears are under constant bombardment of noise from the cables moving about?!  I certainly hope none of these 6 suffer from that...  Any other suggestions (that are under $100) would be also appreciated...

The noise is called microphonics.  And yes, some IEM's use better materials and have better build quality.  These IEMs should have little microphonics, especially the CK100.  Wearing the IEMs over the ear helps too.

And I must admit, it seems like everyone wants the ck100.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #192 of 428
Here sis my post for entry. Honestly, haven't heard of any of them before but I'll go with the vibe and say that the ATH-CK100 seem to be a pretty amazing audio experience. I would love to hear some of my favorite trance music with that sort of a set up.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #193 of 428
WOw! Coming from a somewhat 3rd World country, many people would fight to get their hands on one of those IEMs.. Lols..

But truth to be told, I haven't had a chance to audition any one of those IEMs yet.. So far I've only tried my ears on Hippo Shroom EB, Creative Ep-630 and a pair of used JVC Marshmellow. 

As such, I don't think I'm qualified to comment much on the sound quality of either of those IEMs you're giving away, or any of my IEMs either.

I just enjoy music :) 

Good luck to everyone!

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #195 of 428
Well, this is a neat idea.  I can't say I recall anyone else just giving away earphones, and not just all cheapies.

Frankly, I'm not really certain I personally have an interest in any of them.  I know a number of them are popular for various reasons at their price points and that something like the CK100 is a bit of a specialty product.  Because I have not had much interest in most of them, I haven't really accumulated much information about most of them.  The one of most of my research would be the CK100 along with the CK10.  I read Toughnut's review some time back about the CK100 in comparison with a few other high performers.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/419992/tf10p-ie8-ck100-reviews
AwakenedBeing has one of the only straight CK100 vs. CK10 reviews.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/480346/comparison-audio-technica-ck10-and-ck100
More recently Joker got to use the CK100 along with his already loved CK10.

Through a lot of the reading, I keep getting the idea that the selection between the CK10 or CK100 is a matter of personal preference.  Joker let me demo his CK10, and initially I was expect them to be a bit over hyped.  At the time I had a number of other IEMs including the RE252, Triple.Fi 10, and Custom 3.  I'm a fan of all of these for different reasons.  I came to find that I personally like the RE252 best.  The balance and the direct nature was better.  However, the CK10 offered more micro detail/texture in the notes and has a more life-like sound.  The moderate response peak around 10-12kHz is an issue though, and without EQing can be problematic.  I never quite fancied the sound stage of the CK10 either.  Interesting enough, the comments on the CK100 do seem to hint that the CK100 does offer a more balanced top end and a better spaced sound stage.  I am curious if the CK100 offers key improvements over the CK10, but I also question if the CK100 may lose enough characteristics to that outweigh benefits of the switch.  The other big issue is price.  The CK100 is super expensive and not even available in the US for sale.  Is the CK100 better?  Or is it just different?  There are some hints from reviews that I may like the CK100 over the CK10, but it's tough to say.  From a functional standpoint, I could say that the CK10 is the best IEM I've used so far, but it's also one I'd always use an EQ with or at the very least a Comply T-500 foam tip to soak up a bit of the high end peak.  This is nearly required to make the CK10 livable across all genres.  The level of detail and realism is hard to come buy with most everything else out there.  There are descriptions that make the CK100 sound like such needs are not so necessary, but the CK100 may also benefit greatly from EQing and possibly make them amazing.

A final funny note:
CK100
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=416
CK10
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=361

Users who are viewing this thread

Back