James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #211 of 428
I was going to search and post pictures of each, but Aregu beat me to it! They all look really cool!

I'm new to these forums as well, but have been looking on and off. I just ordered the Panasonic RP-HJE900, Fischer DBA-02, and Meelectronics M6.

I currenly have Sennheiser iRiver (MX400?), Etymotic ER6, and Empire Wicked Little Buds. So now I'm really getting into the better stuff. I wouldn't mind getting any of them =)

Thanks for the offer! Forums are always pretty neat, and this one seems like a cool community. We have a coral frag swap over at our reefers forum this weekend, and trading a bunch of them. Glad to add this forum to the list!

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #212 of 428
Wow that's a lot of iem's to give away.  You sir, sound like an insanely generous bass lover
tongue.gif

I've read most of those iem's emphasize bass to some extent, at least besides the Audio Technicas and the PR1's.

My honest advice; give them to someone who will appreciate them most and can't afford any!

Oh, and sorry about your wallet.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #213 of 428

Quote:
Hello :)  This is very nice of you and I would love to win any of those headphones.  Thanks for your kindness :)

James.

I think this person deserves a set. He obviously is a man of taste and class.
He has generously graced these pages with the visage of Jennifer Connelly. Give him whatever he wants.

For me... you know what I could certainly use, and greatly appreciate... the CK100.  
wink_face.gif

Cheers to you James. You're a good man.

shane

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #214 of 428
Quote:
@james444 .congratulations on reaching 4 years here on head fi , and thats  very generous of you to offer this giveaway. 

Hey, you ruthlessly jacked me of 2 years membership, lol
wink.gif

Quote:
Congrats on the 4 years!  Thanks for taking part in keeping this amazing place alive.

u2!
wink.gif

Quote:
Congrats on your 4 years of contribution to head-fi!

Again, lol!
wink.gif

Quote:
A final funny note:
CK100
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=416
CK10
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=361

I've read this before and I feel for the guy. The CK100 are an acquired taste and if you pair them with the wrong source they can sound really off. IME they need a warm source with enough oomph to drive them well. Apart from amps my Sony A845 is the best match.

Quote:

Thank you for this generous giveaway happening.  :)

I have been reading the reviews and discussions at head-fi.org for several years when looking for new IEMs, but haven't registered until now. Fun to finally write something here.  :)

With two pairs of IEMs currently breaking down on me (cable on Shure E2C and JBL reference 200) I would very much like to have a chance of winning one of the phones.

I haven't had the chance to hear any of them, but here is my ranked wishlist, based on reading what other people say and my own preferences:

Audio-Technica ATH-CK100

- I wish...  :)
It seems like theese phones are close to aural nirvana (for some people). I trust ljokerl review and impressive comparisons on this

According to james444 it's very important to find the right tips/seal to get the best sound out of them. Loving my Shure E2Cs I think I could learn to live with these.  :)

Seems to have too little bass for some people.

Cyclone PR1 Pro

I've been wanting to buy theese, because of the price/SQ/soundstage. - I trust ljokerl on this:

Sound (8/10) –These have a very natural presentation. The soundstage is very wide and airy, with good positioning and separation. They have tremendous clarity across the range and the level of detail they put out, though not on-par with the RE0, is impressive. They have very gradual roll-off at both ends, which results in well-controlled high and low notes. No harsh treble or bass bloat here. I like the bass especially – it can go down pretty deep, but it never imposes and always stays musical. Their unique, gentle signature really agrees with me and works especially well with live recordings, acoustic music, and anything else that can take advantage of the incredible soundstage.

Audio-Technica ATH-CKM70

It was more difficult to get an impression of theese, seems like less people have any experience.

They sell for between $110-$150, and james444 says:

The ckm70 are completely different beasts [than CKM50], they sound really bad with most DAPs I tried, colored and congested. When I first tried them I actually thought I had gotten a defect pair. Only later I discovered that they need a lot of oooomph to sound good, more than an average HPO will provide. They sound really good when amped and have great synergy with the AMP3.

If I would be the lucky winner of theese I promise to buy a good amp.

JVC FX500

According to several reviews they are quite bass heavy. Wooden IEMs seems cool though, wouldn't mind to test them.

Cyclone PR2

james444's impressions of the Cyclone pr2 versus the fx500, ie8, m5 and pl50:
"This is a strong contender for the Best-Bass-IEM. Read on if you’re into Drum ’n’ Bass and Electronica. Skip if you need real good isolation or like Folk/Jazz with warm vocals."

Atrio M5

Also seems to be on the most bass-heavy side

Wow, one of the most impressive first posts ever! Glad you've decided to come out of hiding, we need you here!
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
This must be the James that gave his HJE900 to dfkt.

Don't know whom you're talking about.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I've read most of those iem's emphasize bass to some extent, at least besides the Audio Technicas and the PR1's.

If 3 out of 6 equals "most of those", I concur with you. 
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
shane55 said:

James.

I think this person deserves a set. He obviously is a man of taste and class.
He has generously graced these pages with the visage of Jennifer Connelly. Give him whatever he wants.

You're dead right, Shane and his last.fm station is for the most part equally classy. I was close to wrapping up my FI-BA-SS and send them to him, when all of a sudden
eek.gif
a Björk song kicked in... 

Never mind buddy, better luck next time.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #215 of 428
James, congrats on your SIX years of Head-Fi membership! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "BA" in your sig?

I've actually never owned any high-end IEMs, so this would be very exciting for me. If I were to win, I'd probably pick the CK100. The forward sound is right up my alley as I'm a Grado kind of guy (also, I probably never will have the chance to hear them otherwise, esp on a student budget!).

Also, thank you James for bringing this experience to us! It's this kind of generosity and selfless nature that makes Head-Fi a very unique kind of community.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #216 of 428
BA stands for Balanced Armature - as opposed to Dynamic Driver (DD).  Most iems fall into either technical category.

Quote:
James, congrats on your SIX years of Head-Fi membership! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "BA" in your sig?

I've actually never owned any high-end IEMs, so this would be very exciting for me. If I were to win, I'd probably pick the CK100. The forward sound is right up my alley as I'm a Grado kind of guy (also, I probably never will have the chance to hear them otherwise, esp on a student budget!).

Also, thank you James for bringing this experience to us! It's this kind of generosity and selfless nature that makes Head-Fi a very unique kind of community.

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #218 of 428
Wow, what a kind and generous offer. And a really rare chance to recover a set of Cyclone PR1Pros. I really, really regret selling mine, they were perfect with my Nationite-PMP. I remember watching a TV show on the tram once and wondering were the obnoxious music was coming from. I thought it was some geezer on the tram, tormenting fellow tram riders with his choice of music. Took me a while to realize that it was music from the TV show, sounding literally out-of-my-head due to the amazing soundstage.

I'd love to display them at our headfi/HIFI-FORUM meet in Berlin too.. :)

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #219 of 428
Hey your not suppose to get the itch until year 7!
Congrats and cheers for the generous offer. Would be a great little jumpstart for someone like myself just getting into the wide world of iem's.
ksc75smile.gif

Good luck to all!

Bry

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #220 of 428
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452312/review-the-cyclone-pr1-pro-another-50-bang-buck-heavyweight
Cyclone PR-1 Pro
I need some headphones that are small enough so that I don't have to lug big ones around school.
you are so nice and I really hope I win because someone will definately steal my grados and I worked hard for that money

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #221 of 428
James, first of all thanks for your generosity to the community. despite having listened to many different units the only one here that i've direct experience with is the atrio m5, a phone that never did much for me - i haven't really missed that one since i sold it. i've owned a number of AT products over the years, and have listened to a bunch of others not in my stable. sometimes they can be a lot of fun (eg. es7, ck9), though i was never a big fan of the ck7. i find that their more modestly priced offerings are often more enjoyable than their pricier units (the w5ks and leatherheads imo are way overrated). that said i am rather curious about the ck10s and 100s. i love my jvc dx1000s and i've been curious about the fxs, although i wonder about reliability issues. the other units you have posted i'm unfamiliar with. at some point perhaps i'll look them up to get a sense of what they're about.
James, what phones do you like (and not just from your giveaway list)?

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #222 of 428
I just won a pair of MEElectronics M6. This is exactly what I love about Head-Fi, people are willing to teach newbies, to give back to the community once they've reached the top of the food chain, and to promote this giving nature.

From my research, this is what I've found:

JVC FX500
Market Price: $130 (seyo-shop)
Summary: Good, deep bass. Clear but slightly recessed mids/vocals. Bright but detailed highs. Sexy wood!
Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/302873/victor-hp-fx500-review-world-s-first-wood-canalphones

Cyclone PR2
Market Price: $76 (gyratech)
Summary: Very few reviews! Powerful bass, neutral mids, grainy highs
Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/441431/impressions-of-the-cyclone-pr2-versus-the-fx500-ie8-m5-and-pl50

Cyclone PR1 Pro
Market price: $60 (gyratech)
Summary: Balanced, neutral, laid-back. Surprising that people describe them so differently from the PR2.
Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452312/review-the-cyclone-pr1-pro-another-50-bang-buck-heavyweight

Atrio M5
Market Price: $200 (amazon)
Summary: Fit seems to be paramount, unless you want a thin, tinny sound. Once fitted properly, they deliver low, punchy bass and a warm sound signature. Up there with the PR2 for bassheads.
Reviews: Amazon site, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/232312/futuresonics-atrio-m5, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/268768/clash-of-the-titans-atrio-m5-vs-q-jays-vs-denon-c700-vs-shure-se310,

ATH-CK100
Market Price: $480 (accessoryjack.com), unless you're in Japan, in which case they can be found cheaper
Summary: Detailed extended highs, forward warm mids, tight but weaker bass
Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/409871/audio-technica-ath-ck100-impression, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483569/audio-technica-ck100-review

ATH-CKM70
Market price: $110 (accessoryjack.com)
Summary: Not many reviews. Balanced, clear and detailed.
Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/337745/ath-ckm50s-first-impressions, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/384095/audio-technica-ath-ckm50-vs-sennheiser-cx500

If I won, I'd probably pick them in this order: CK100, CKM70, PR1 Pro, M5, FX500, PR2.
Being an MS1 owner (and loving them!), I'd want something that is forward and isn't too bassy.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #223 of 428
Wow! Quite generous of you.. Thanks a lot for the chance. I always wanted an IEM, rich and detailed with great mids and treble and most importantly without too much bass impact, because I have quite sensitive ears. I was dreaming about ATH CK10 or CK100's but will probably settle with RE0s to upgrade over my RE2s. Who knows maybe I will get lucky with CK100s!

cheers,

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #224 of 428
I just realized that 2 weeks after your first post is my birthday.

August 21 no joke.

Not that it would affect my near zero chance of winning an IEM, but it's still pretty cool lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back