James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #196 of 428
I'm pretty new to IEMs but over the last few years I've heard a lot of good things about the PR1 Pro, having a balanced sound and wide stage.
I was gonna buy one as an upgrade from my PL-30 but unfortunately it was already discontinued and nowhere to be found on ebay.
I ended up ordering a Brainwavz M1 which was highly regarded @ headfi. If anything I will be eager to see if all these great IEMs can live up to its legacy against the newer IEMs :)
Thanks for your generosity!

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #197 of 428
Now this is why I like these forums so much. Good luck to everyone.

Cheer's,  James.  
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #198 of 428
Any IEM would be a valuable addition to my collection of headphones (plethora of headphones? herd of headphones? murder of headphones? flock?), but in particular the Atrio M5 interest me. I've been looking for a good IEM to use in band practices to take some stress off my ears, but I obviously don't want to buy anything that won't be up to par sonically. The soundstage is also supposed to be good, which would mean good instrument separation.

(P.S - you're doing a very decent thing my friend)

(P.P.S - good review of the M5 - http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/future-sonics-atrio-m5/4505-7877_7-32456902-2.html)

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #199 of 428
Wow what a generous Head-Fier and a cool thread.  I've always wanted to give the CK-100 a shot, I think the Triple Fi 10 is the perfect IEM for me, but the fit isn't the greatest.  I've kind of been leaning towards the CK10, but I think the lack of bass would be hard to deal with coming from a TF.  Also I'm not so sure I'd like a smaller soundstage since the TF10 seems so spacious.  I must say that I enjoy owning and selling different earphones/headphones in the endless search for the "perfect phone."  I am very grateful head-fi is around so I can test out different phones, and if I don't like them sell them off at minimal to no loss.

Threads like these are making me shy away from CK10/CK100 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446240/ie8-vs-tf10-vs-ck100

even though in general it seems many people prefer them to the triple fi 10.  

I really don't know much about the other phones

FX500- I like that it's wood, but heard bad things about treble spike-very curious to hear a wooden earphone.
PR1-Not sure I like this phone just for the fact that people were saying it was better than the RE0, back when the RE0 were my favorite phones.
PR2-Updated PR1?
Atrio M5-Bass lovers phone (I am not a bass head)
CK-100-Big brother of CK-10 though not necessarily better, CK10 better all around than TF10 except in bass quantity.  
ATH CK-M70-recessed mids

Thanks again.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #201 of 428
I feel a bit inconsiderate using this as an excuse to end my era of lurking, but I owe my struggling sound engineer sister a birthday gift and know she would love the FX500's (from all the descriptions I've read). If it be any consolation, the earphones would not be besmirched with bad music and would recieve the care and attention of a new born child!

From a fellow cactus grower, your generosity will not be forgotten.
Good luck to all!

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #202 of 428
wow this is so nice of you.
anyways,
I wanted the Cyclone PR1 pro since it met my price range and had nice reviews but it was discountinued. :frowning2:
Also JVC FX500 i was interested but too high of a price for me. I love that it's wood.
ATH-CK100 is wayy to expensive for me but if I win, i would like to give a high end pones a try.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #204 of 428
Wow, that's very cool of you. Count this as my entry post. Started this account because my Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 pro's pooped out on me after three years of heavy use. I then turned to head-Fi in search of new IEM's. Day after Day of reading all the different forums, I ended up getting the um3x w/ removable cables. When I saw this forum I noticed two headphones that I was debating on getting instead of the um3x which made me very happy. I would love to win any of these headphones (By the way I either already new a lot about or looked up when I saw your post) especially the JVC FX500 which I almost ended up getting instead of the UM3X's but heard they were a bit heavy on the bass. 
p.s. Been a member for around a month and did not make this account for this thread. Just stating this because this is my first post. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #205 of 428

Thank you for this generous giveaway happening.  :)

I have been reading the reviews and discussions at head-fi.org for several years when looking for new IEMs, but haven't registered until now. Fun to finally write something here.  :)

With two pairs of IEMs currently breaking down on me (cable on Shure E2C and JBL reference 200) I would very much like to have a chance of winning one of the phones.

I haven't had the chance to hear any of them, but here is my ranked wishlist, based on reading what other people say and my own preferences:

Audio-Technica ATH-CK100

- I wish...  :)
It seems like theese phones are close to aural nirvana (for some people). I trust ljokerl review and impressive comparisons on this

According to james444 it's very important to find the right tips/seal to get the best sound out of them. Loving my Shure E2Cs I think I could learn to live with these.  :)

Seems to have too little bass for some people.

Cyclone PR1 Pro

I've been wanting to buy theese, because of the price/SQ/soundstage. - I trust ljokerl on this:

Sound (8/10) –These have a very natural presentation. The soundstage is very wide and airy, with good positioning and separation. They have tremendous clarity across the range and the level of detail they put out, though not on-par with the RE0, is impressive. They have very gradual roll-off at both ends, which results in well-controlled high and low notes. No harsh treble or bass bloat here. I like the bass especially – it can go down pretty deep, but it never imposes and always stays musical. Their unique, gentle signature really agrees with me and works especially well with live recordings, acoustic music, and anything else that can take advantage of the incredible soundstage.

Audio-Technica ATH-CKM70

It was more difficult to get an impression of theese, seems like less people have any experience.

They sell for between $110-$150, and james444 says:

The ckm70 are completely different beasts [than CKM50], they sound really bad with most DAPs I tried, colored and congested. When I first tried them I actually thought I had gotten a defect pair. Only later I discovered that they need a lot of oooomph to sound good, more than an average HPO will provide. They sound really good when amped and have great synergy with the AMP3.

If I would be the lucky winner of theese I promise to buy a good amp.

JVC FX500

According to several reviews they are quite bass heavy. Wooden IEMs seems cool though, wouldn't mind to test them.

Cyclone PR2

james444's impressions of the Cyclone pr2 versus the fx500, ie8, m5 and pl50:
"This is a strong contender for the Best-Bass-IEM. Read on if you’re into Drum ’n’ Bass and Electronica. Skip if you need real good isolation or like Folk/Jazz with warm vocals."

Atrio M5

Also seems to be on the most bass-heavy side

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #206 of 428
Wow!  James, what an incredible act of generosity.  The timing is very cool for me.  Sick of my iphone buds, I came here looking for info.  I was debating between several high and mid iems - but on Friday night, my wallet was stolen (I had just gotten a lot of cash to go on a trip). So I figured I might need to wait quite a while before buying.  When I saw this, it felt like kismet.

I don't know a lot about these iems, but took this opportunity to do a bit of research.  It seems that the CK100s would line up best with my taste.  I listen to a lot of female vocals - especially jazz, standards and Broadway.  It looks like these emphasize mids and highs and would probably be a great match for me.  It's small size is also a plus.

I'm intrigued with the FX500s.  I've never heard of wooden iems before this.  I'd love to hear them!

The Atrio M5s are attractive because I read they sounded good at low volumes - and I don't plan to use an amp.

I feel certain that any of these would be a giant leap forward from my stock iphone earbuds.

Talk about karma!!  I wonder what's around the corner for you?  I bet it's something fabulous.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #207 of 428
I actually have been on the fence in the past about purchasing JVC, considering the almost-cult following they get from their users here.  Every time someone decides to veer away from the "big-name/well-respected" audio companies to try them, he or she comes here and raves about the sound quality.  Considering I quite trust JVC as a brand, I'd love to have a pair, and see how they compare to my UE 700.

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #208 of 428
This must be the James that gave his HJE900 to dfkt. Thank you for letting dfkt review your Panasonics - they're the best I've heard yet!
I'd be interested to see how the Audio Technica compares.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #209 of 428
[size=medium][size=10pt]What I can say, this is true very kind of you James, thank you and good luck to everyone. (add me to the list)
In my opinion no one should get away with unpaid shipping but really that you whiling to make it all free - it's almost too good to be true.
Who can't say no grabbing CK100 for no money..  At least this old thread should proof that I have looking for them for a while  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/430401/ath-ck-100-first-impressions
[/size]
[/size]

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #210 of 428
Wow, james444, you are a better person than I ever can be.  I can never be this generous.
The world can use more people like you.
With ATH-CK100 costing $400, I can't believe you are willing to let that go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back