James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #421 of 428
When should we expect to get the IEMs?

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #423 of 428
Got a notification of the package today. I wasn't at home so I couldn't get it. Will go tomorrow or the next day to get it. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #424 of 428
 Today i got the ath-ckm70 from the post office. First impressions are very good. Neutral, flat sound with sparkly treble punchy bass and  wide soundstage. They are also very easy to drive with my 5800. All in all, i think they are a very underrated pair of phones especially as they do some things, that usually give trouble to dynamics, really well (speed and transparency) . I will probably write a more detailed review when i've listened to them for a week or two.

Thank you James!

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #426 of 428
Today I received the Cyclone PR2.

I haven't had enough time to make a clear image of how they sound nor it has been in the best conditions, but they have a nice bass response for an IEM. The mids are a bit recessed for my tastes but they do sound great with funk and hip-hop rock (Gorillaz). 

I am no basshead, and I tend to prefer a more even sound signature, however I feel they are a good compliment for my other IEMs.

Will give them a longer listen. Thanks James444.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #427 of 428

Quote:
^ You're lucky, the Nokia 5800 seems to be a good match for the CKM70. Thanks for first impressions and glad you like them!

It seems a very good match, but i think that it has more to do with the sound signature of the 5800 vs your Sony. There is no doubt that the sony has a better dac and more juice to offer, but i suspect that it also has a brighter sound that makes the already bright ath-ckm70 sound harsh. I've also tried them with an amp (full sized) and the output of my pc, and the results so far have been very consistent.

All in all, i am pleasantly surprised by them. They don't have the timbre, sub bass or insane/psychedelic imaging of the DDMs, but they offer some great highs, with better transparency and an airy soundstage that is consistently wide (unlike the DDMs that resize it all the time). I'd say they complement each other very well, and that says allot, as i am very fond of my DDMs.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #428 of 428
Quote:
  Well, you can judge, you just can't condemn. The way we perceive others, is usually through their action and choices. In effect we always judge, weight and categorize most actions that we witness and we usually do this unconsciously (most thought patterns work that way). 

My opinion (and you know what they say about opinions) is that when you consciously and actively judge another's action, it's essential to know all the facts that lead to this action/decision or else you are only succeeding at imposing your morality to others and morality is a very vague word with a subjective meaning.

I won't for example, ever sell the pair of phones i won, because my morality applies symbolism to selfless acts. So i feel compelled to show respect for the present, because it has gained a symbolic value besides the monetary value all goods have. My morality though, also dictates that a present is a present, and the recipient has the right to do with it what ever he/she wants. That's my moral code though and i wouldn't impose it on others.

Just citing your post because I love it, it's one of the most thoughtful and level-headed I've read in a long time.
No wonder that some of the world's greatest philosophers stem from Greece.
wink.gif

Once again, as far as I am concerned the winners have my explicit consent to do whatever they want with their prizes.

Quote:
 It seems a very good match, but i think that it has more to do with the sound signature of the 5800 vs your Sony. There is no doubt that the sony has a better dac and more juice to offer, but i suspect that it also has a brighter sound that makes the already bright ath-ckm70 sound harsh.

It wasn't only the Sony, they didn't like the Fuze and Cowon i9 either, only the AMP3. Rather picky beasts, at least with my DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back