James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #241 of 428
or full of it 
wink_face.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #243 of 428
I hope you're not giving away your entire collection, wouldn't want to be separating a man from his IEMS

I' know I'd never be able to justify spending so much for the CK100, so reading ip on them in Joker's review, I am shocked to see it given a 10/10 score on sound. I love the aggressive forward sound signature, and it sounds as if the CK100 is right for me.

And of course, thank you for this opportunity :)

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #244 of 428
Any guidelines against random re-posting in order to up one's chances of winning?

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #248 of 428
This is really nice of you, WOW!

I've never heard a BA IEM so I'd be curious to hear the CK100
wink_face.gif
 but anything for free is great! I am also curious about the out of production, at least under that name, Cyclone phones even though I took advantage of the recent discount on the similar-but-different Brainwavz M1.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #249 of 428
Might as well regurgitate post #2:

Quote:
Updates / FAQ:

Agreed, but for us folks in the northern hemisphere it's summer vacation time and I want to give everyone the chance to participate, so let's all just be patient.
smile.gif

The winners will be chosen at random. Only for the first two picks I'm going to check whether the contestant did at least a minimal amount of research, or in other words showed some genuine interest in these phones. If you're already an established member of the community you have nothing to worry, but if you just signed up and posted "Count me in" you won't be eligible for the first two picks. However, you can always go back and edit your first post to show you've done your homework.

I see your point, but on the other hand I don't want to ban discussion. Nevertheless, to keep it fair, only one's first post in this thread will be eligible. That means, if the random number generator picks a specific post, I'm going to check whether it's that member's first one in the thread. If not, I'll just skip it and generate a new number. That way there'll be equal chances for everyone and you'll be free to discuss as much as you like.

I've thought about this before I started the thread. As a matter of fact I'll have no control over what the winners do with their prize. So as far as I am concerned, you may do as you please, pass on, trade or sell, whatever. However, that doesn't guarantee that you won't be breaking any rules if you put them up for sale on Head-Fi, as I've seen admins go ballistic over folks who tried to resell their $99 TF10's at a higher price.

Heh, I was just kidding around anyways. Although I did do some research for my first post, I am totally undeserving and really more curious to try these IEMs than anything. If I won anything I would just "pay it forward" and re-gift them to someone else anyways, after trying them out of course. Even the CK100, as I think that the CK10 would be more to my tastes anyways and have them on order thanks to that research, although it would be fun to compare first. But even though there are no actual guidelines against multiple posts in this thread, it is clear that those subsequent posts do not increase anyone's chances of winning, and may actually work against them.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #250 of 428
I'd be curious to try the CK100 as well, seeing as how they are considered top-tier universal IEMs in averagejoe's thread. If I do somehow win it, I'd probably compare it to the Fischer Audio DBA-02 that I've preordered and am waiting anxiously for.

I'm also mildly interested in the FX500, I've seen it mentioned here and there in some of the IEM threads I read. I'm not too interested in the Atrios, mostly because I already have a bass-heavy IEM (FA Eterna v.1), and would like to try something different. I've heard some good things about the two Cyclones for being good bang/buck IEMs, and am curious as to how they sound. If they're good, I might starting buying them as presents to my non-audiophile friends or something. As for the CKM70, I haven't really heard of them...

Hopefully that's enough to count me in for the first two picks?

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #251 of 428
Yeah, its funny as I thought I was done with IEMs for awhile, then doing a bit of research for this thread kind of pulled me back into them lol. First I bought a fake FX500 but was able to cancel; the website seemed legit but I did not research the possibility of fakes, highly uncharacteristic of me actually. To tell you the truth the FX700 seems more interesting but I am definitely curious about the sound of the FX500.

Then I got sucked into the CKM70 marketspeak where it said they had a higher volume level than most, and I inferred it would sound good unamped. That would have been a good thing as I was looking to pair them with my musicphone, and didn't want to mess with an amp. But I was totally wrong and James444 set me straight, both in this thread and on this site, as he is really the only one who had reviewed them that I could find.

So I bought the CKM70 but was able to change my order to the CK10, more than I wanted to spend really but I can't wait to try them out. It would be interesting to compare with the CK100, but this contest is the only way it will happen, lol. The CK10 seem like they will be a good match with my phone, as far as their sound signature goes. All because of this thread!

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #252 of 428
Hi James! Ok I've only recently started to get into the world of IEMs and would like to expand my collection. I'm currently using the Brainwavz M2 aka Visang R03, and of course I would very much like to upgrade to a better one if not for the prices.

I've had the privilege and honor to try out the TF10s and the SM3s thanks to a friend of mine, and pretty much like the soundstage that I'm hearing. I know the JVC FX500 and the ATH-CKM70 both have respectable soundstages so I'll be extremely glad if I could try out those. I'm not asking for the CK100s as I don't think I know how to fully appreciate them.The M5's and the FX500 have good bass and I like that, but between the 2 I've heard the FX500 are more fun and have a wider soundstage. Hmmm but on the other hand I really do wish to have a BA IEM.

Anyway, thanks for organizing such a giveaway and I'm happy and surprised that such generosity still exist! :)

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #254 of 428

Quote:
So if you won the CK100, you'd give him that? I'd just buy him a $50 pair and keep the CK100s personally
tongue.gif
For what you save in winning, you can more than afford $50.

If I won CK100 I would keep it for myself :)
But if I won Atrio M5 I would give that away! Because I just ordered a pair of IE8 for me :) 

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #255 of 428

[size=10.5pt]Whoa! James, that's incredibly generous of you. What you've created here is nothing short of inspirational![/size]
[size=10.5pt]I'm pretty new here, but have been lurking around for about a month or two with no account. I must say the community here is great. You're the best example I've seen on the net, quite literally.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]A little introduction to myself, I'm only recently pulled into this hobby by some of my more audiophilic friends but I must say that it's a deeply immersive hobby. I started small, and went from Shure's SE210 to SE310, to my UE's TF10 Pro and then the SM3's which I just ordered.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Thanks to Jaben and some of my friends, I've had the fortune and pleasure to audition many different earphones, including some of those that are on giveaways. I find it very enjoyable to listen to details and all the little nuances in the music I listen to.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]I am of course writing this in hope that I'll be picked for one of the giveaways. :D But at the same time, I would want to, in light of James' generous act, contribute something to the forums from which I have learnt a lot in the past two months.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]In this manner, even if I'm not one of the fortunate six, I'd be able to provide you guys with some of my personal opinions about what I've heard, and some information of the IEMs that all of us are looking at. :)[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Disclaimer: The following represents my own opinions, and I don't know any of the fancy-schmancy terms (yet) to describe my music well, plus, I hadn't spent much time with them as they weren't mine, so if they differ much from what you guys think or hear, I'm sorry![/size]

[size=10.5pt]We'll start with my favourite phone of the lot, the Audio Technica ATH-CK100.[/size]

1. Audio Technica ATH-CK100

[size=10.5pt]Background story:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Audio Technica was established in 1962, based in Tokyo, Japan. It's a worldwide group of companies dedicated to the design and manufacture of audio equipments. It started with its production of headphones in the year 1978, and the rest as we say, is history.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]The Specs (shamelessly copied from official sources) : [/size]

1. [size=10.5pt]Weight: 4.00g[/size]
  2. [size=10.5pt]Impedance: 23ohms[/size]
  3. [size=10.5pt]Sensitivity: 113dB[/size]
  4. [size=10.5pt]Power Handling: 3mW[/size]
  5. [size=10.5pt]Open/Closed : Closed[/size]
  6. [size=10.5pt]Transducer type: Triple Armature (or triple BA)[/size]
  7. [size=10.5pt]Ear Coupling: Intraaural[/size]
  8. [size=10.5pt]Freq. Response: 20 - 18,000 Hz[/size]
  9. [size=10.5pt]Cable Length: 1.2m[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Personal Impression:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Beautiful modern design, but with a very daunting price-tag. I was fortunate enough to have a go at it for free. I didn't spend much time with it but it was enough to make an impression. My first thought was that the mids were very forward. They were not just forward, but was more like the "Hey listen to me" kind of forward. The highs, which coincides with what I've read in a few reviews, were presented beautifully. If my memory serves me well, the soundstage was not as wide as some of the other IEMs I have heard, but it was acceptable. I thought the instrument separation was very good and I could hear many of the little details. I'm not a basshead, but if there was something I had to complain about, it'd be that the bass wasn't enough for me.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]I've read that the mids were very source-dependent but I can't attest to that as I haven't much time with it.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]I wouldn't say the sound absolutely justifies its heavy price tag, but it's definitely enough for it to be considered one of the top-tier IEMs in the market. If I were one of the fortunate people picked for the giveaway, this would definitely be the IEM I would pick. :D[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Pardon my lack of accurate, technical terms, so as follows are more resources for the CK100 :[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Resources / Reviews:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Sieg9198's Impression[/size]
[size=10.5pt]James444's eQ-7 vs CK100 (and various other top IEMS)[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Shigzeo's Review on TouchMyApps.com[/size]

2. Audio Technica ATH-CKM70

[size=10.5pt]The Specs:[/size]

1. [size=10.5pt]Driver type: Dynamic[/size]
  2. [size=10.5pt]Sensitivity: 106 dB / mW[/size]
  3. [size=10.5pt]Freq. Response: 5 - 24,000 Hz[/size]
  4. [size=10.5pt]Maximum Input Power: 200 mW[/size]
  5. [size=10.5pt]Impedance: 16 ohms[/size]
  6. [size=10.5pt]Cable Length: 0.6m[/size]
  7. [size=10.5pt]Weight: 10g[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Personal Impression:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]My friend has had this for a while, so I've been on this for a bit as well. Where I stay, this goes for about $140. Coming from Audio Technica, there was nothing much to fault about its build quality, which was absolutely solid. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I thought it was pretty heavy. It was easy to put on, but I found it somewhat tiring when listening to it for a longer period of time. I feel that the soundstage and resolution for the CKM70 is pretty good for its price. Vocals on the phone had an elegant touch and the soundstage gave me the feeling that they could extend very far out. The highs weren't harsh and were quite comfortable to listen to. I wasn't very happy with the bass however, as I thought it lacked a certain substance. Perhaps being a dynamic, it had a bit of IE8 feeling, but I don't think it handles fast-paced music very well.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Resources:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Official Product Information[/size]
[size=10.5pt](sorry I wasn't able to find much talk about this on head-fi.)[/size]

3. FutureSonics Atrio M5

[size=medium][/size]

[size=10.5pt]Background Story:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]FutureSonics is a professional audio and consumer earphones company based in the States. It was founded in the early 80's by Marty Garcia, who principled himself on the idea of relieving vocal fatigue and stress on the musicians' ears. An interesting trivia was that, they were the OEM for Sennheiser's IE3 back in 2002.[/size]

1. [size=10.5pt]Transducer Type: Future Sonics Proprietary MG5pro Dynamic Drivers[/size]
  2. [size=10.5pt]Freq. Response: 20 - 20,000 Hz[/size]
  3. [size=10.5pt]Impedance: 32 ohms[/size]
  4. [size=10.5pt]Sensitivity: 112 dB / mW[/size]
  5. [size=10.5pt]Cable Length : 1.3m [/size]

[size=10.5pt]Personal Impressions:[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Before I tried these, I've heard about their bass. When I put them on, I immediately understood why. The bass was "oomph!" heavy. There was this sort of, bestial physicality to it. My friend who tried it with me said that it couldn't compare to full-sized cans, which I thought was reasonable for him to say. But still, I thought it performed exceptionally well for an IEM. I would say what's impressive about the M5 is the fact that despite its heavyweight bass, there is little compromise to the mids and highs. I'm not sure if I've heard it wrongly, the mids might be a little laid-back but still quite detailed. I really want to say more, I can't remember that much, I should go back and give it another go. I would say if you're a basshead, the m5 is good![/size]

[size=10.5pt]Towert7's Initial Impressions on m5[/size]
[size=10.5pt]FutureSonics M5 Review on anythingbutipod.com[/size]

4. Cyclone PR2
[size=medium][/size]

[size=10.5pt]Manufactured by Audio ECCI based in China (formerly known as Cyclone), the Cyclone PR2 is the younger brother to the now discontinued PR1 / PR1 Pro. Audio ECCI is still very active, and has also released new IEMs like its Cyclone PR100, PR200 and PR300 earlier this year. They were also the bringer of the Storm amp if anyone knows about them.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]The Specs: [/size]

1. [size=10.5pt]Transducer Type: 11 MM Dynamic Transducer[/size]
  2. [size=10.5pt]Freq. Response: 20 – 20,000 Hz[/size]
  3. [size=10.5pt]Impedance: 24 Ohms[/size]
  4. [size=10.5pt]Sensitivity: 104 dB/mW[/size]
  5. [size=10.5pt]Rated Power: 10 mW[/size]
  6. [size=10.5pt]Max. Power: 40 mW[/size]
  7. [size=10.5pt]Cable Length: 1.3M[/size]

[size=10.5pt]None! As I haven’t heard them. But from what I read, they have excellent build quality / music presentation for its price. Housing a dynamic transducer, the Cyclone PR2 benefits from burning-in. Official sources rate the time at about 100 hours. The effects of burning in the Cyclone PR2 include smoother music presentation, a slight drop in bass quantity and clearer layers to the music. I shan’t say much though, as curious as I am, I haven’t heard them.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]James444’s Comparison of the PR2 vs various other IEMs[/size]

5. Cyclone PR1 Pro

[size=medium][/size]

1. [size=10.5pt]Transducer Type: 11MM Dynamic Transducer[/size]
  2. [size=10.5pt]Freq. Response: 20Hz – 20,000 Hz[/size]
  3. [size=10.5pt]Impedance: 32 Ohms[/size]
  4. [size=10.5pt]Sensitivity: 106 dB[/size]
  5. [size=10.5pt]Rated Power: 10 mW[/size]
  6. [size=10.5pt]Max. Power: 40 mW[/size]
  7. [size=10.5pt]Cable Length: 1.3M[/size]

[size=10.5pt]None as well! I haven’t heard them too. But I’ve read that they have very wide soundstage, well balanced and have a generally laid-back signature to them. Again, I can’t say much because I haven’t heard them.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Yipcanjo’s comparison: PL50 vs PR1 Pro vs Maximo iM-590[/size]
[size=10.5pt]ljokerl’s Cyclone PR1 Pro Review[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Last but not least…[/size]

6. JVC Victor FX-500

[size=medium][/size]

[size=10.5pt]This goes a long way back. Victor Company of Japan, or JVC, was founded in Yokohama, Japan in 1927. However, it was only in the 1980’s before they started dabbling in portable audio. The FX-500’s were created in the transition between 2007-08, and 2 years later its younger brother: the FX-700 was born.[/size]

1. [size=10.5pt]Transducer Type: Dynamic Drivers[/size]
  2. [size=10.5pt]Driver Aperture: 8.5 mm[/size]
  3. [size=10.5pt]Freq. Response: 8 – 25,000 Hz[/size]
  4. [size=10.5pt]Sensitivity: 100 dB/mW[/size]
  5. [size=10.5pt]Impedance: 16 Ohms[/size]
  6. [size=10.5pt]Cable Length: 0.8m[/size]
  7. [size=10.5pt]Weight: 7.5g[/size]

[size=10.5pt]None! I haven’t heard them as well. ): What I have read about them though, was that the FX500 has an excellent, natural and distinguished bass. It is definitely an IEM for demanding bassheads. It presents a detailed sound across all frequencies without losing much strength. However, I’ve also read that the treble can be a bit too bright for some. Once again, I can’t comment much as I haven’t heard them myself. [/size]

[size=10.5pt]If I were to choose one among those that I haven’t heard though, I’d choose this. I’ve simply read too much good stuff about it.[/size]

DTKZ's Bass Ahoy! FX500 vs IE8 vs Monster Turbines vs ATH-CKS70
James444’s Comparison of the FX500 vs Cyclone PR2 and various IEMs
James444's Comparison of the eQ7 vs FX500 and various other IEMs
Shigzeo's FX500 Review on touchmyapps.com
Photos of Fake FX500 for friends who are thinking of buying them!

[size=medium][size=10.5pt]And so...[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=10.5pt]concludes my extremely, tediously long essay of what I've gathered for this write-up. It's taken me 2 whole days to collate everything, it's long and I'm writing this last part into the wee hours of the morning but I must say I've enjoyed this. I hope you guys enjoyed the read and find it usefully informative. I've learnt a lot in the process of reading up and not to mention I get to have my chance at this giveaway as well. So wish me luck! :D[/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back