Jaben ES8 Cable?
Dec 4, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 35
Yes, I'm interested to know too. Any owner of ES8 willing to contribute? Quality/sound differences compare to the stock cable?

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 35
I was tempted into purchasing these for the 2 for 1 deal, but looking at the Westone copycats and the huge cable gaps in the braid made me look the other way.  If you have about $90 to splurge, I have the following cable purchased on eBay  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270659098913&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT and the UE triplefi10 are now the best universal IEM I have owned. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 35

[size=medium]
     Quote:
I was tempted into purchasing these for the 2 for 1 deal, but looking at the Westone copycats and the huge cable gaps in the braid made me look the other way.  If you have about $90 to splurge, I have the following cable purchased on eBay  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270659098913&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT and the UE triplefi10 are now the best universal IEM I have owned. 

​
[/size]

I assume the cables improve SQ, am I wrong? 

That's one concern I have at the moment. If better cables improve SQ, I'm definitely buying. I might get better cables because after 2 hours of use with my TF 10, the rubber connecting the stiffener came apart from the end of the cable, and the wires looks very very thin, like 30 AWG. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 35
I am not sure if I believe that cables improve quality, but from a fit/usage perspective, upgrade from the stock cable asap!

I went with the westone cables (partly because of the space in braiding of the jaben cable as noted above and they are much cheaper than say lune or other silver cables) and it makes it so much easier to put on your TF10 and have them stay put.  The westone cables is not stiff like the stock and do not pull on the earpiece as much as the stock cables and I won't  think of going back.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 35

Quote:

Oh wow! Looking at your profile, I see you have owned the e-Q7, GR8, FX700, CK10, ER4S, turbine pro coppers. You really prefer the TF10 out of all those? When the TF10s were in my ownership, I did not like them one bit. The excessive sibilance was a huge turnoff for me and the fit wasn't making me a believer either.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 35
To my ears, yes, different cable type and implementation does improve or more accurately "change" the SQ.  Between my silver and stock cables, it's like night and day.  The placement of the mids, highs, and lows sound right and nothing sounds recessed, which is how I like my sound.  I used to think cables was snake oil, but ever since my first taste with custom cables with my Denon AH-D1001 I used to own, it made a huge difference to my ears.  Like anything else in life, your mileage will vary. 

I consider my set a huge bargain even with the relatively expensive cable replacement.  For under $200, I can now rest for a long time and not have an urge to try something else, which for me, short of customs, there isn't much I haven't tried in this top tier level ground.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
Quote:

Oh wow! Looking at your profile, I see you have owned the e-Q7, GR8, FX700, CK10, ER4S, turbine pro coppers. You really prefer the TF10 out of all those? When the TF10s were in my ownership, I did not like them one bit. The excessive sibilance was a huge turnoff for me and the fit wasn't making me a believer either.

Yup.  I regret selling the E-Q7 and FX700.  The CK10 was too finicky and bright.  The insertion depth on the ER4S was too much for me to bear despite having the best isolation, and the coppers I found to be a little dry like the ER4S.  I prefer listening to my tunes in musical mode versus analytical.  The TF10 with the new cable is very musical to my ears and represents a very good compromise in sound character since there isn't an IEM yet  that takes the E-Q7 and FX700 into one package.  Plus, I have pretty big ear canal opening, so the TF10 fits me very well.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
Yup.  I regret selling the E-Q7 and FX700.  The CK10 was too finicky and bright.  The insertion depth on the ER4S was too much for me to bear despite having the best isolation, and the coppers I found to be a little dry like the ER4S.  I prefer listening to my tunes in musical mode versus analytical.  The TF10 with the new cable is very musical to my ears and represents a very good compromise in sound character since there isn't an IEM yet  that takes the E-Q7 and FX700 into one package.  Plus, I have pretty big ear canal opening, so the TF10 fits me very well.

What from the e-Q7 and the FX700 did you like? By package, do you mean a combination of sound quality, or a combination of fit and sound?

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 35
The FX700 like many other owners have described is very detailed with low and impacting bass that surpasses anything else I've heard; although my Tributes isn't far behind.  It's the only IEM that closely gives a very large sound as if I'm wearing my Grados.  The E-Q7 has the best tremble and the most 3-dimensional sound perspective and keeps up with no problems with guitar riffs and super fast drums in some songs.  A combination of these two is more about the sound.  Factor in the fit of the GR8, and the lifetime warranty of the MTPC, for me, I have my perfect IEM.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 35
I bought one of those, and its build quality is ok. I've only handled a UM1 for a short time, and I don't actually have an iem to attach it to in order to test out microphonics. Maybe I'm expecting perfection from an ES cable imitation, but it seems good until I can compare it to a real westone cable.

If the CK100 is 9.5 due to build, the UM1 cable is 9.5 due to microphonics and comfort, this would be a 9 based on only comfort.

I tested the resistance of all three channels and it came up 0.6 ohms for all of them.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 35
I bought two of these during the 2 for 1 sale, honestly under the impression that they were just modded Westone cables at the time.  They are obviously just a copycat as a closeup of the jack shows different split/connect points in the plastic body.  They ARE comfortable for sure, and feel much more durable than the stock UE cables.  The UE cables were actually split already in the box when I received them, right where the bendable section meets the straight wire.

I'm wearing the ES8's at work right now with the TF10's, and while they sound good, it feels like some warmth is missing.  Whereas the stock TF10's were miles ahead of my old Ety ER6i's, they feel a little bit closer in comparison to the Ety's with the ES8 cables.

I'm not sure if the difference I'm hearing is just the expectation that they were different, so I'd appreciate any other feedback ES8 owners might have.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 35
Also bought these during the 2 for 1.  What I can say for them is this: first, the fit is fantastic compared to the stock UE cables.  Huge improvement, which by itself I think makes this a worthy purchase.  Second, my old UE cables seemed to have a lot of pickup when changing the volume on my ipod; these don't.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 35
Then I'll pass this, no point spending more money and have the TF10 sound worst then it's original state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back