I've gone from zero to off the deep end in less than a week.
May 24, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #61 of 331
Don't waste any time, do you?
tongue.gif

You should definitely write some reviews once everything's come in.

May 24, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #62 of 331
Just got confirmation that the Total Bithead is on the way...is scheduled to arrive in Honolulu on Friday.

May 24, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #63 of 331
It kind of surprises me that others have not gone on a similar binge. With resources like the head fi marketplace, ebay, and audiogon available, its beyond easy to buy and sell for nearly the same price. So long as you are buying quality goods that have somewhat loyal followings (like most of the stuff I bought, I hope) you shouldn't lose more than 10% on each deal (i pray). What's the difference between that 10% and a restocking charge?

Couple all of this with the fact that Hawaii audio retailers are extremely backwards--having almost zero stock on hand, high prices (sometimes above list), and little to no true audio insight or personality--the choice seems clear: Buy a ton of crap at one time, demo it in you own home, and sell off everything but your favorites. All you lose is the aforementioned 10% and some credit card interest (assuming the whole process takes more than 30-60 days).

Tell me that no one else has done this!

It seems to me that the chink in my headphone armor thus far is amplification.

The Benchmark DAC1 and the Big Four Cans (SR325i, HD650, K 701, & DT 880) seem to be at least somewhat beyond reproach.

If my budget was $1,000, help me pick an amp. Here is the criteria:

1. Can be bought AND SHIPPED TO HAWAII (zip 96813) for $1,000.00 or less.
2. Can EASILY be resold on Head Fi for $900 or more (plus shipping back to the mainland).
3. Has a loyal following of supporters.
4. Has been reviewed by at least one mainstream audio magazine or MAJOR review website (I understand that this is not the end-all, but the amp should have at least planted its flag somewhere).
5. Has enough power to be able to say, without question, that it is driving each of the Big 4 with ease.
6. Has enough finesse to quiet the "its just a big ugly brute" crowd.

If there is an amp out there that does all of this, I'll buy it immediately and add it to the shootout.

Mahalo!

May 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #64 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is an amp out there that does all of this, I'll buy it immediately and add it to the shootout.

Based on discussion on this forum (and even within this thread), I think there are a few srong possibilities right away:

SinglePower PPX3-6SN7

Ray Samuels HR-2

Woo Audio 2

..or Mapletree, Headamp GS-1, or ???

Forgive me if this part of this discussion should be on the amps section of the forum, If it should be moved or posted there I'm glad to oblige...

May 24, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #66 of 331
As a fellow newbie (to the world of good headphones), bootleg, you are my hero too. With 30-day return policies and/or good resale value, why not? Life's too short to play the 'what-if' game.

I've been fiddling around for weeks trying to decide if I wanted to order a set of SR60's, SR80's, or something else as an upgrade from my PX100's. Do I want to splurge and get an airhead? Will I want to upgrade later to a Micro or something even better? As the 8-ball says, "All signs point to yes."

You've given me a new way of thinking. Like a Hawaiian breeze. My father recently passed away, and if there's one thing that I learnt from the ordeal is that you absolutely can not take it with you, and you might as well enjoy life while you have it, because it can just end at any moment.

I might as well just order a pair of RS-1's and a par of K601's or K701's and the Desktop Millet from Headroom and be done with it. Forget the stairstep approach. Just jump off the headphone cliff.
600smile.gif
Whatever I don't like gets returned or sold.

Not sure how happy my wife would be with me, although my car is comfortable enough to sleep in for a few nights!
600smile.gif

I'm going to be watching this thread closely. Puhleaze let us know your impressions of the various headphones with the various amps.

May 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #67 of 331
I think the best bet is to talk to Ray Samuels (of RSA), Mikhail Rotenberg (of Singlepower), Jack Wu (Woo Audio) personally. Come up with a brief description of the type of music you like, and your general sound preferences, and ask these designers to give you a recommendation within their product lines. These gentlemen are straight shooters and extremely knowledge. They might even point you in another direction away from their own products.

These other amps are also highly regarded and meet your criteria:

Earmax Pro (single-ended triode goodness)
MAD Ear Purist HD (everyone loves these w/ Grados)
GS-1 (linear, transparent, neutral, solid state)
PS Audio GCHA (linear, transparent, neutral, solid state)

On the DIY front: the B22 is near the top of the heap, and could even be built balanced for under a grand.

May 24, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #68 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the best bet is to talk to Ray Samuels (of RSA), Mikhail Rotenberg (of Singlepower), Jack Wu (Woo Audio) personally.

That's such great advice!

That's what's amazing me about the headphone world, that there's real oportunity to interact with the people that make many of the important products. I find it very refreshing after the often aloof and distant world of traditional high-end audio (with some execptions of course).

May 24, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #69 of 331
I've already emailed Mikhail of Singlepower and he suggested something called the "Singlepower Extreme" 14 amp model. I don't see it on his website so I asked him to send me some info on it.

As to Singlepower, RSA, and Woo, are the items I would want generally in stock? I thought I had read about at least one of these guys having very long wait times to fill orders.

May 24, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #71 of 331
You can find info on the Extreme in the Member of the Trade Sponsored forum, it was announced December last year. Single Power builds their amps to order so there would be a wait, don't know how long though.

Your first two criteria in particular are going to be pretty hard to meet. The elusive Lehmann Black Cube Linear and PS Audio GCHA might fill that though, given their sale prices here.

May 24, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #72 of 331
oh i know how to spend some more money , since u bought all the mostly recommended open headphones here , you can now spend the rest of your money on custom IEMs for the isolation and portable setup
biggrin.gif
something like the UE10 PRO and maybe a hornet amp as well :p

May 24, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #74 of 331
headroom, listening station, music direct, and ebay all got a part of the action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back