I've gone from zero to off the deep end in less than a week.
May 24, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #46 of 331
Ouch... really sorry about your wallet there.

- lk

May 24, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #47 of 331
You already have a death-dealing quartet of headphones right there with the HD650, K701, DT880, and SR325i. That's a mean set of headphones right there! I think you should keep them all, they all do something differently from each other.

You should seriously consider adding on the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 too, for the ultimate set of multi-brand flagship open dynamic headphones! You'll never be complete until you at least try an AT!

May 24, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #48 of 331
hats off to u Bootleg... don't think i know of anybody else who did anything remotely similar!! Be sure to keep us updated k?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #49 of 331
It is a bit of a scorched earth experiment I admit, at least as far as the cans go. I have every intention to post updates as the stuff arrives and give my takes about the winners and losers.

As sort of a "before" pic, here is what I currently have:

511926005_80be1f3f4a.jpg

The AKG K 701's burning in for their 3rd consecutive day and the SR80's that started me down this path.

Again, any tips for doing A/B's once the whole kit arrives would be greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #51 of 331
One annoying thing about the AKG's: I wear glasses and the earcups kinda squeak on 'em as I move my head around.

Wierd.

May 24, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #54 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, any tips for doing A/B's once the whole kit arrives would be greatly appreciated.

Just listen to some of your favourite albums that you know well with the different setups, and decide which one you like most. It's more about which like most than which is best. There's nothing to it.

May 24, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #55 of 331
I understand going all out and spending all the money at once because you're going to catch hell from the wife anyway. What I don't understand is the 3 pairs of PortaPros in your sig. That, and the lo-tech telephone next to your LCD. I didn't realize there were still non-cordless phones out there.

You're going to have a great time sorting out the best sound. You're going to find it hard to narrow it down to a single amp+headphone as you discover that your "favorite" discs each sound better with different setups.

May 24, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #56 of 331
The portapros were purchased long ago and got spread aroung the home and office to different lo fi rigs.

Don't get me started on the telephones...I have a thing for the classic analog bell sound. When something else arrives I'll post a pic with my old Western Electric rotary (pulse dial) phone.

May 24, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #57 of 331
If I were you, I would listen to my SR80 for a week or so [i know it’s hard after getting all of those there sitting and waiting to be in your head…
biggrin.gif
] then, I would progress and give another week for instance to your K701 – once they are the ones you already have there – then one more week to your, say, DT880 and then one week to the HD650, and finally another to SR325…
By doing this, you should be able to get used to each HP sound (for one week burning your ears with them) and then, moving to the next one you could maximize your earing abilities by exchanging HP
After that, I would start comparing them with the amps, and finally put my hands in the chosen ones!

That's how i see it…

(moving slow from my MS-1, in order to get all the feelings from them, then when I feel it’s over, I know them by heart, I’ll move into smt else
biggrin.gif
)

Cheers man!

May 24, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #58 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were you, I would listen to my SR80 for a week or so [i know it’s hard after getting all of those there sitting and waiting to be in your head…
biggrin.gif
] then, I would progress and give another week for instance to your K701 – once they are the ones you already have there – then one more week to your, say, DT880 and then one week to the HD650, and finally another to SR325…

Sound advice for sure, but pure torture for the impatient!
tongue.gif

Seriously though, thanks for letting a noob like me live vicariously through you. This should be an interesting collective experience!

May 24, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #59 of 331
I fully agree with Kramer5150. Reserve judgement on all of the phones you just bought until you hear them with decent amplification. Then you should be able to figure out which house sound you prefer most and go from there. You have a wonderful selection of cans from some of the top Headphone manufacturers to demo, so you are off to a good start.

My prediction for the long haul:

For open phones (in addition to a pair of RS-1s):
Either a Grado PS-1 and (or) Grado HP-1 and a Melos Gold or perhaps a highly customized MAD Ear+ Purist HD.

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #60 of 331
I use Senn HD650 with X-can V3 fed by my sound card and it sounds really great, I love the sound, often listen for hours and my ears never get tired.

Before I got the X-can V3 I used a Rega Ear headphone amplifier but I think that sound was really bad. A few weeks later I got the X-Can and loved it from the very beginning.

Congratulations to your new stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back