I've gone from zero to off the deep end in less than a week.
May 24, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #31 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a wannabe audiophile for a few years now, listening almost exclusively to conventional home audio systems.

Then it happened: We had a baby.

No more late night listening sessions. No more mid-day listening sessions. No more listening sessions period. But a whole lot of "TURN THAT CRAP DOWN, THE BABY IS SLEEPING!" sessions to make up for it.

Then a buddy of mine steered me to headphones.

I had a pair of Grado SR80's laying around that I had never paid much attention to...I bought a 15 foot extension cord and found a new hobby.

Then I fired up the Visa card.

My headphone buddy, who is tight with the buck (but loose with the product purchase recommendations) made the following suggestions to upgrade from my SR80's:

1. Sennheiser HD650's
2. AKG K 701's
3. Beyerdynamic DT 880's

I bought them all.

Then, feeling the rush, I decided to round out the trio with a pair of (#4 on the list) Grado SR 325i's.

Because I live in Hawaii and chose extremely slow shipping options to economize, only one pair, the AKG's, has arrived so far.

I first plugged them into my Dell's sound card, I was not impressed.

Next, I tried them with my NAD C350 headphone jack...better, but still not glorious...Do they really need time to break in or does the NAD just blow?

I also have a McIntosh MA6900 integrated amp on the way (another story for another day)...wonder how that will sound.

So hearing my frustration with the Dell and the NAD, my friend starts suggesting headphone amps...I bought the following:

1. Benchmark DAC1 USB
2. Headroom Total Bithead
3. Musical Fidelity X-Can V3

None of these have arrived yet.

So far, I'd say that the Grado SR80's top the AKG K 701's in almost every area, especially clarity, but I suspect that this is largely to do with amplification...I will of course withhold final judgment until everything arrives.

I have little to no idea what I'm doing and actually may have a bit more money to blow on this whim (say another $1,000 to $1,500).

Suggestions, thoughts? Predictions as to which amp-headphone pairings will work the best? Advice on where to spend my next $1,500?

Most importantly, WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH ALL OF THIS STUFF ONCE IT ARRIVES? I understand that I should simply listen to it all, but what should I listen to? (I like jazz mostly) What strategies would you suggest to determine the winner(s)?

Mahalo in advance!

I found the 701s to be boring, but better balanced then my other phones.. Get Balanced cables for your 650's & plug them into the XRL outputs on your DAC1.. It will make your Nad sing very well.. But will make you want more..
blink.gif

May 24, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #32 of 331
Quote:

I don't think I'm done, just waiting for all the stuff to get here to start doing A/B's.

I need help with the following:

1. How to go about doing the A/B's with four to five sets of headphones and three to five amps.
2. Excuses for the wife when she finally gets wise.

Thank goodness I pay the bills!

I like your attitude.. Most people start of with the cheapest stuff they can get..(Whats the fun in that) You just go all out..Kinda like me, but not all at once.. If you want portable Id go with he RSA Hornet. The Macro amp 4. The New XIN reference. Portaphile maxxed. Diablo (if ever comes out). All hi end portable amps..

But you should try out some real Hi end cans like the AKG 1000/L3000/MRD10/R10/Edition 9's/HE60/HE70/Omegas

May 24, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #33 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get Balanced cables for your 650's & plug them into the XRL outputs on your DAC1

x2
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #35 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My prediction for what will be your favorite rig:

Benchmark DAC1 -> X-Can V3 -> Grado SR-325

Enjoy! And be sure to post your impressions.

This is what I wanted to hear! More predictions as to the best rig please!

I will definitely post pics and test results once it all gets here.

May 24, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #36 of 331
just a question, how did you end up buying the bithead when all the other ones are toward the high-end stuff?

i'm a little bit disappointed in that decision. haha. j/k

i'll definitely be waiting for you impressions of those three phones.

May 24, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #37 of 331
First off, I know it wasn't clear in the post, but I actually bought four sets of headphones in the past week:

1. AKG K 701's - Arrived 48 hours ago and burning in
2. Senn HD650's - en route
3. Beyer DT880's - en route
4. Grado SR325i's - en route

As to the bithead, I bought it just cause it was on sale, potentially portable, and got a little bit of good press...I figured I could take it to work eventually and leave it plugged in there.

May 24, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #38 of 331
So he can compare the bithead and benchmark and feel much better about keeping the benchmark
smily_headphones1.gif

The Benchmark is highly regarded around these forums, as are the K701, HD650, DT880, and SR325. Your best bet is to pick the headphone you enjoy the most with the Benchmark, and then use the money from selling the other equipment to buy a top-notch amp. The X-Can V3 competes squarely with any amp around the $350 price range, but with the kind of budget you have you can do much, much better.

For example, Benchmark DAC1 -> Singlepower PPX3 -> HD650 or

DAC1 -> MAD Purist HD -> SR325

would give you world-class sound, only short of the absolute best.

One more piece of advice, if you like the Grado sound the best, definitely check out the RS-1, GS-1, and HP-x models. The 325i doesn't represent the best Grado has to offer.

May 24, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #39 of 331
The 701s need juice to perform. They still may not be your cup of tea - it's nearly a love em or hate em response to them around here. I loved em and the only reason I don't have a pair anymore is that I got a pair of DT990s. My point is, so far you really haven't heard the 701s true potential due to the sources you've tried them with. They are a very refined headphone with a HUGE soundstage. Once your other kit starts rolling in then give them another try. You just may be pleasantly surprised.

May 24, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #40 of 331
I'm the buddy who helped direct Bootleg's dive off the deep end. I have been checking out this forum off and on for quite a while, but only joined myself a few days ago. I know now how very much more there is to learn about headphones, and how much of a rookie I really am, but I think I did ok with what I had to work with. You'll see from the e-mails below (just as his jump began) That I at least steered him in a decent direction.

511645781_fdcd4d7d77_o.jpg

511645785_0ed218935c_o.jpg

There were many more e-mails that followed, often with links to posts and threads from this very forum. And yes, I did suggest some RSA gear.

May 24, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #42 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say is...

Dude, why'd you get the 325i's when you could've gotten a pair of RS-1s?
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS: The general trend around here is that having children STOPS headphone buying
tongue.gif

A few thoughts:

1. I had actually heard the 325i's before buying (what a concept!)--I thought they sounded great and wanted a pair.

2. I tried to pick the Grados that fit in the same price range as the other cans that I bought in order to make a fair comparison between brands.

3. A pair of RS 1's or GS1000's are almost certainly in my future.

4. As to children...we got some pretty decent coin from the grandparents...supposedly to stash away for little Bootleg's college fund...supposedly.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #43 of 331
realize that the only way to judge these properly is with a proper headphone amp for each phone. the best amp for akg WILL NOT suit grado.

the ear+ hd from mapletree audio is really great for grados, especially if you get him to use certain NOS parts in the build. i forget what parts they were. i can tell you who to search with if you pm me.

that amp may even be good with the other phones.

for the others, look into the heed can amp. also look into getting a crossfeed to plug into these. it'll make the cans sound more natural with less seperation between the left and right channels.

make sure your source is neutral.

also consider trying the ttvj.com flat pads for grados. the moded sens suck.

as for just buying one really nice amp see my signature.

amps that are nice for senns are usually too bright for grado, and many amps to dark for senn will be great for grado.

also, spending more does not always mean you get more.

make sure to get some decent interconnects. do not spend over $150 on them.

May 24, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #44 of 331
Quote:

Will probably eBay some of it!

Sell them in the FS forums here. It'll save you ebay fees and you'll know that your phones will go to a good owner.
cool.gif

Quote:

This is what I wanted to hear! More predictions as to the best rig please! I will definitely post pics and test results once it all gets here.

I predict the DAC1 -> HD650, listen for the expansive soundstage and well-rounded, authoritative bass.
wink.gif
Mostly, try to spend at least a few weeks with each of the headphones in order to really get to know them. Headphones are like women, some are fun and exciting at first but then it gets old quick (*cough* grado *cough*), others are mellower but you can live with them happily for always.

May 24, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #45 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I predict the DAC1 -> HD650, listen for the expansive soundstage and well-rounded, authoritative bass.
wink.gif

325i: Listen for the tonality that makes you say "Wow! I finally understand what tonality is!"
wink.gif

Kinda like if you've ever heard the HE90 and you go "Oh. So that's what decay is!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back