Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Aug 31, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #226 of 963

Quote:

1. Oversampling: no, there is no internal oversampling. Despite all the discussions on oversampling in this group, I have some doubts on the necessity
of this. There are really no non-linear processes applied in Isone Pro, so I have some difficulty in understanding where a potential benefit of oversampling would come from.
But maybe I'm just overlooking something here

Not that oversampling is bad thing anyway..in fact it's very good. ALL DACs oversample. Of course, upsampling is bad but oversampling is good.

I'm sure you know the difference but for others:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/upsampling-vs-oversampling-for-digital-audio

and

http://www.soundstage.com/gettingtechnical/gettingtechnical200311.htm

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #227 of 963

Quote:
I found good settings:

jb_isone_pro (or surround if you like it better)
HRTF adjustment cue strength - 0 - 10%
ITDs - ON, I use 50% for the head size and 50% for the ear size
Distance - 1 m (minimum)
Room - OFF

Whoah...this combo sounds great. I saved the settings and named it Ironmine Especial.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #228 of 963
Sep 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #230 of 963
I'm trying to set up Isone Pro on foobar2000 and after reading this thread i am still extremely confused as to what people are doing...
Right now my only active DSP is the George Yeohgn's VST Wrapper, set to Isone Pro.
What else do I need? I tried to directly set this to Isone Pro Surround and it just sounds horrible... Do I really need an oversampler to make it sound better?
TBH I just moved from itunes to foobar and I'm really not diggin the interface/complexity of setup :p

Can you guys put some screenshots/directions on how to set up foobar so help me with the transition?

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #231 of 963
Quote:
I'm trying to set up Isone Pro on foobar2000 and after reading this thread i am still extremely confused as to what people are doing...
Right now my only active DSP is the George Yeohgn's VST Wrapper, set to Isone Pro.
What else do I need? I tried to directly set this to Isone Pro Surround and it just sounds horrible... 

Please note that George Yohng's VST Wrapper cannot pass through more than 2 channels.  Don't try to feed to it 5.1 material.

You have to calibrate Isone Pro, read the manual.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #232 of 963

I don't like how eQuality sounds, and the guys in that thread confirmed that its phase linearity is wonky..it also doesn't say which one has the leanest phase response :/ I'll listen to the samples again.

PS: just did, Sonnox sounds flat and eQuality sparkling...I will try the latter once more, I love its GUI anyway.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #233 of 963
Was an indication of a great friend
beerchug.gif
  Cakewalk Perfect Space

Impulse Response of the rooms of 4 and 9 meters presents a neutral sound, perfect for listening to music in 5.1 or 2.0

Impulse Response

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #234 of 963
So I've been trying this out on and off for a few weeks now, though I haven't had a lot of time to really sit down and listen.
In any case, no matter what kind of settings I try, I just don't really like it with my HD580s. However I really like how it works with my Grado SR80s.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #236 of 963

Quote:
Yea maybe I did not calibrate it right, but just doesnt sound good with my HD600s. The Dolby setup introduced in the other thread was fantastic however
" class="bbcode_smiley" files.head-fi.org="" height="" http:="" images="" p="" smilies="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

It is essential that you calibrate it. 
The difference is significant tbh.
Cue strength should always be at zero tbh as your pinna is the best indicator of the 'ear size' HRTF. If you have a large head like me, it is best to bump up the head size a tad (mine's at 54.5%).
the setting on the ear size won't matter if the cue strength is at zero.

the room acoustics settings you can tweak with but it's the head size that makes the most difference.

My room acoustics settings:

Room T60 (reverb): .45 seconds
Room size: 68.00%
Distance: 2.74m

Of course leave at 'reference speakers' so Isone Pro doesn't colour the sound unnecessarily. 

yes, Isone Pro is meant to be used by audio production purposes, but boy, it does a great job at crossfeed when calibrated.
The default settings are quite bad tbh.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #237 of 963
Quote:
It is essential that you calibrate it. 
The difference is significant tbh.
The default settings are quite bad tbh.

You know... it's about half-year since I discovered Isone Pro for myself... yeah, on the one hand, personalized calibration is better than random or default settings, but... on the other hand, when I turn to zero Cue Strength, switch off both ITDs and Room, and I set Distance to the minimum, and when I compare these minimal settings to my carefully calibrated settings, I am amazed at how the minimal settings sound more open, detailed, transparent, etc. The degree of sound externalization provided by individual calibration is not worth it, in my opinion. Because the trade-off is muddied and confined sound.

So, I use Isone Pro now only as a crossfeed tool with minimalistic settings and don't care for its more advanced features. As a crossfeed though, it's still the best (to my ears). This is the conclusion I came to after months and months of tweaking and playing with the settings.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #238 of 963

Quote:
The degree of sound externalization provided by individual calibration is not worth it, in my opinion. Because it the trade-off is muddied and confined sound.

I found it to be the direct opposite tbh. I calibrated mine just after I've had my ears syringed / suctioned and late at night with minimal ambient noise. That said, I have high detail headphones in the DT880/600 thus difference could be more pronounced due to the detail capture. With it calibrated, it's much easier to tell bad recording from good recordings. i.e. great recordings sound better, bad recordings sound worse.

Honestly, earwax is a huge factor in your hearing.

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #239 of 963
Is it like some magic setting that while you are turning the dial and you get to your exact head size the difference immediately WOWs you? Maybe my ears are not very tuned then, since I hear almost no difference when moving the headsize dial from one end to the other...
Is it possible that you are just so used to your settings you are using them as reference? When I first switched from HD555 to HD600 I didnt like the 600's sound at all, but now I can't go back
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #240 of 963

Quote:
Is it like some magic setting that while you are turning the dial and you get to your exact head size the difference immediately WOWs you? Maybe my ears are not very tuned then, since I hear almost no difference when moving the headsize dial from one end to the other...
Is it possible that you are just so used to your settings you are using them as reference? When I first switched from HD555 to HD600 I didnt like the 600's sound at all, but now I can't go back
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

No, If I switch the settings to a default option, it's easily noticeable. The difference between the head size settings is subtle. It's really to do with the instrument separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back