Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Aug 29, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #212 of 963

Quote:
Does anybody know, in case of using an external vst plugin providing room reberberation, which vst chain is more correct from the theoretical point of view:

Isone Pro > Room Simulation

OR

Room Simulation > Isone Pro

???

To use correctly (isone pro surround) is accurate DSP vst bridig (Input Audio in 5.1) for correct process.

one more try
wink_face.gif

make new installation of foobar, then replace all components folder.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #213 of 963
Poico, I don't understand you.

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #215 of 963
Just found this thread, great plug!!!!
Thanks for the tip Lunatique!

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #216 of 963

Quote:

as for the rest of you.. why bother without pretending you are listening to your bookshelf speakers when you have your headphones on if you can rid yourself of all the room mode problems by wearing the headphones??!

This is mainly a matter of taste. When reproducing signals over headphones, there are essentially 4 differences compared to loudspeaker playback:
- The crosstalk (which involves acoustic shadow of the head and time delays) is missing;
- The elevation cues caused by direction-dependent reflections on the pinna and shoulder are missing
- The effect of the room is absent
- There is no front-back dimension, only left-right.

Some people prefer the 'clean and dry' sound that one gets in this way and of course that's perfectly fine. Another group of people prefer
to have such properties included when listening to music or watching movies. If you belong to the latter group, you can use Isone Pro
and see if it fits your needs; otherwise just don't bother to try it :wink:

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #217 of 963

Quote:

Some people prefer the 'clean and dry' sound that one gets in this way and of course that's perfectly fine. Another group of people prefer
to have such properties included when listening to music or watching movies.

I'd be surprised if majority of headphone lovers don't prefer a much more spacious and natural sound.

Headphone lovers covet the so-called "soundstage" and the ability to "hear into the mix" and a "3-dimensional holographic sound." all of these things are hard for headphones to achieve and still sound natural, but with something like Isone Pro, even the most upfront and small soundstage from claustrophobic sounding headphones will become a lot more spacious and natural sounding. By introducing the room simulation, the headphones will just open up and immediately sound much more natural instead of so claustrophobic and inside your head with severe stereo panning/separation that's very fatiguing to listen to.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #218 of 963
Can someone post clear instructions how to make this work with Foobar2000? Thanks.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #219 of 963
Quote:
This is mainly a matter of taste. When reproducing signals over headphones, there are essentially 4 differences compared to loudspeaker playback:
- The crosstalk (which involves acoustic shadow of the head and time delays) is missing;
- The elevation cues caused by direction-dependent reflections on the pinna and shoulder are missing
- The effect of the room is absent
- There is no front-back dimension, only left-right.

Hello Jeroen!

Would you please answer the following questions:

1. Does your plugin internally oversample the signal? If not, do you recommend the oversampling/upsampling of the signal before your plugin?

2. If I want to use another plugin to simulate the room effect (e.g., your own free VST plugin Omniverb), should I place it before the Isone Pro or after it?

3. Can you recommend some good (neutral) initial settings of Omniverb?

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #222 of 963

Quote:

I'd be surprised if majority of headphone lovers don't prefer a much more spacious and natural sound.

If I recall correctly a paper has been published some years ago in the AES community in which they found the two type of consumers;
the ones that liked the clean headphones sound, and another group that had a preference for loudspeaker simultion. Don't know the exact details anymore...

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #223 of 963

Quote:
Hello Jeroen!

Would you please answer the following questions:

1. Does your plugin internally oversample the signal? If not, do you recommend the oversampling/upsampling of the signal before your plugin?

2. If I want to use another plugin to simulate the room effect (e.g., your own free VST plugin Omniverb), should I place it before the Isone Pro or after it?

3. Can you recommend some good (neutral) initial settings of Omniverb?

1. Oversampling: no, there is no internal oversampling. Despite all the discussions on oversampling in this group, I have some doubts on the necessity
of this. There are really no non-linear processes applied in Isone Pro, so I have some difficulty in understanding where a potential benefit of oversampling would come from.
But maybe I'm just overlooking something here.

2. External room simulation is best placed before Isone, so that the room is also processed by HRTFs. Obviously the external reverb should include the dry sound as well.

3. That's merely a matter of taste I think. I personally prefer a much more present room than the settings I see published by others here... The ITU BS1116 standard recommends a reverb time of 300 ms. This could be a good starting point.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #224 of 963
Do I have to beg for Foobar instructions? Seriously, is it that hard to post it?
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #225 of 963
Quote:
Do I have to beg for Foobar instructions? Seriously, is it that hard to post it?
biggrin.gif

You have to use the Isone Pro plugin (v. 2.0) as you would you any other VST plugin - via George Yohng's VST Wrapper (it's a Foobar component).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back