Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Dec 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #256 of 963
Anyway, yeah need to know a little bit about the science behind head-related transfer functions and room acoustics to really tweak it properly.
You are very much hearing for detail via instrument separation when tweaking. If you got a larger than average head, you need to tweak it higher than than that 50% default really. Mine's at 55% (I do have a large head).

Tip as earlier said in this thread is to put the cue strength right down to zero as your pinna is by default the best indication of ear-related HRTF's for you. I found a reverb time of .53 sec to be ideal for mixed genres (different genres prefer different reverb time due to the instruments involved)

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #258 of 963
Anybody may confirm if the new one performs better than the old one?

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #259 of 963

Quote:
Anybody may confirm if the new one performs better than the old one?

I played around with the new one, and I don't know if I'd say it's better. In terms of how it changes the frequency response, it's different, as far as I have tried, you still can't get a totally flat frequency response, since the plugin will always introduce its own coloration, even though it's less obvious than before (I did a spectrum analyzation on it with a pinkwave).

The thing I don't like about it is that now the speaker cabinet presets are gone, and those are so very useful to a composer/mixer/mastering guy because we need to know how our music will sound on different systems, but it's not important at all the someone just listening to music.

I discussed this stuff with Jeroen, and since his plugins are more like hobby to him and he's got a day job as an audio professional, he's less likely to design his plugins according to what the customers want, and instead designs them to what he personally wants.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #260 of 963
Try this for room acoustics:

After much testing with very high quality recordings e.g. Patricia Barber 'Cafe Blue'

Distance: 2.72m
Reverb Time: .56secs
Room Size: 79.00% (the larger the reverb time, you must counter for it with a larger room, basic sound acoustics)

Works across multiple genres and is quite unforgiving of crap recordings. You must adjust the HRTF (head size) properly though tbh. That's the biggest key. Patricia Barber 'Wood is a Pleasant Thing to Think About' is a great track for vocal separation and thus HRTF. The voices should blur as less as possible.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #261 of 963
Does anyone know of a way to use VST plugins like this with ffdshow or as a directshow filter?

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #262 of 963
Jan 13, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #264 of 963
Jan 13, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #266 of 963

Quote:
i always have to drastically re-eq my headphones to maintain a flat response once I intrudoce isone.. but beyond that im still loving this plugin.. 

This is what I do:

1) Insert a spectrum analyzer into the signal path after Isone. Make sure the slop is 3dB for a flat response. I use Voxengo SPAN (it's free and very, professional). You can use the mastering preset, but change the slope to 3dB.

2) Run a pink wave. Make sure Isone is bypassed. Look at the analyzer and make sure the pink wave is read flat. If you haven't changed the slop to 3dB, now's the time to do it, as you'll visually see the response of the pink wave tilt and flatten out as you change the slope, otherwise it'll be tilted.

3) Engage Isone and look at the pink wave on the analyzer. Now you see EXACTLY how Isone is changing the frequency response.

4) Insert a high quality parametric EQ into the signal chain before SPAN (you can put it before or after Isone--I don't think it matters that much). Now adjust the EQ to flatten out Isone's frequency response while looking at the analyzer. This is very easy because you're seeing changes in real-time.

Then that's it. You now can enjoy the realism of Isone without having to turn of the HRTF or Room simulation features, and still get a flat frequency response.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #267 of 963
Did something happen to the surround version?  It looks like this new version only does plain stereo.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #268 of 963

Quote:
Did something happen to the surround version?  It looks like this new version only does plain stereo.

I have the JVC/Victor SU-DH1, and the hardware implementation of Dolby Headphones is so much more convincing than any of the software implementations. There no comparison at all. Isone Pro's surround mode at best would only be similar to the software Dolby Headphones, and that's just not good enough for a convincing surround sound. With the SU-DH1, whether it's video games or movies, the surround effect is so convincing that I can clearly pinpoint which direction a sound is coming from. Playing games like FPS or any kind of action/stealth, I no longer get confused when I'm being attacked from behind. :D To me personally, the loss of the surround version isn't much of an issue as I'd never use it anyway.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #269 of 963
Have you heard dolby headphone on cmedia OxygenHD chip (ASUS Xonar series for example)? when I used the sound card to play Dead Space for example, the effect was really good and better than the dolby headphone software implementation I heard later on. Still I really don't like to listen to music with Dolby Headphone, too much distortion.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #270 of 963
I was mostly planning on using it for movies.  It is (was?) cheaper that the SU-DH1 too.  Both are much cheaper than a Realiser at least.

I'm looking for something better than the HRTF built into the ffdshow mixer and I don't want to have to spend any money without trying it out first.  Those SU-DH1s aren't exactly common either, so I'd have have to buy it sight unseen/sound unheard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back