ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #4,606 of 5,047
We had slight different preference on SA6 if I remember when testing cables also 😅

Penon Mix has been a good hybrid cable for me on many IEMs, retain low end and slight boost to treble and clarity.

Neo 5 is great but I find it to bass heavy on some music, and I lack some airyness as both percussion and strings lack that little extra shimmer. Why I thought the Mix would help, and it does to some degree.

Doing my comparing tomorrow of Est50, serial and H30 against Neo5. Going to be interesting.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Looking forward to the battle between the Serial and Neo 5. I wonder how similar and dissimilar both of them are (mostly because i have the Serial and i missed the sale period for the Neo 5)

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #4,607 of 5,047
Yes! Yes! Yes! Looking forward to the battle between the Serial and Neo 5. I wonder how similar and dissimilar both of them are (mostly because i have the Serial and i missed the sale period for the Neo 5)
Can already say its trade-offs, some are better for one thing other others. What I believe so far
Best coherent tonality Serial
Best bass most likely EST50
Best mids Neo5 or Serial
Best Treble EST50
Soundstage EST50 as its very wide, but Serial has more circular presentation

Serial is great no doubt about that.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #4,609 of 5,047
I'm very tempted by the EST50 still but the rumours of a Volt 2 have my attention also.

Will I manage to resist and wait for the Volt, probably not if I'm honest :smile:

Looking forward to your review and comparisons @Leonarfd
My EST50 are for sale. Good price my friend, good price😁

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #4,611 of 5,047
Oh I know, damn you, that is what I'm fighting myself against buying :smile:
Do it and get Penon Vocal also with EST50.
NEo5 is more similar to serial than EST50.
I like both but EST50 imho is better🤭

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #4,612 of 5,047
As I thought Hakugei Wisteria Fairy didn’t change a lot NEO5 tuning but, improved sub bass extension, midbass is tighter and punchier and doesn’t go on mids.
Mids are more transparent but still bodied, imaging and clarity improved but it’s still a warm set.
I really like how technical abilities, depth and imaging are grown up.

IMG_6888.jpeg
these are really the faults of this earphone that you listed, this cable can really solve them ?

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #4,615 of 5,047
Congrats!!!!!🎉
Pretty sure you’ll love it, did you grab it with Penon vocal? I love EST50 with my IBasso DX320X🤩

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #4,616 of 5,047
Congrats!!!!!🎉
Pretty sure you’ll love it, did you grab it with Penon vocal? I love EST50 with my IBasso DX320X🤩

Thanks, I'm sure I will, I haven't had a bad recommendation on here yet :)

I actually didn't opt for the Vocal, I may regret that decision at some point but I do like to make use of stock cables initially before experimenting.

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #4,618 of 5,047
Jul 17, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #4,619 of 5,047
So new news regarding the Neo 5 on Penon sales pages. Penon has added the option for a 2ndary cable to go with the Neo 5. Happens to be the ISN S4.

The S4 is a more transparent crystal copper vs the OCC copper that the S8 uses. Both have silver plating. The benefit of this cable on the Neo 5. I feel should have been the cable that was included with the Neo 5. Some of you have already found out the the ISN S8 is not the most resolving cable Penon makes. Its a good cable but no way do I feel it maximizes the sound qualities for the Neo5. The ISN S4 is now an added perk for the Neo 5 buyer and this cable by itself retails for almost $60. The new S4 option will only cost an additional $10.

An absolute no brainer for a added cable. The ISN S8 will be a good cable for some of your other IEMS but not so much the NEO 5. The ISN S4 while only utilizing 4 cores instead of 8 of the ISN S8. Is a much more transparent resolving cable in comparison. The benefit for the ISN S4 is as follows on the Neo5

-Better clarity, less warm sounding vs the S8, noticed for vocals especially male vocals.
-Better enhancement for technicalities, sound separation, imaging and details.
-Slightly better enhanced stage perception due to better clarity.
-Tighter percieved bass vs the S8, which helps with better mids clarity.
-Cleaner treble notes.

Are these aspects worth the extra $10? Like I said. It is a no brianer. Makes the Neo 5 sound a bit higher end vs what you will hear using the ISN S8.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #4,620 of 5,047
So new news regarding the Neo 5 on Penon sales pages. Penon has added the option for a 2ndary cable to go with the Neo 5. Happens to be the ISN S4.

The S4 is a more transparent crystal copper vs the OCC copper that the S8 uses. Both have silver plating. The benefit of this cable on the Neo 5. I feel should have been the cable that was included with the Neo 5. Some of you have already found out the the ISN S8 is not the most resolving cable Penon makes. Its a good cable but no way do I feel it maximizes the sound qualities for the Neo5. The ISN S4 is now an added perk for the Neo 5 buyer and this cable by itself retails for almost $60. The new S4 option will only cost an additional $10.

An absolute no brainer for a added cable. The ISN S8 will be a good cable for some of your other IEMS but not so much the NEO 5. The ISN S4 while only utilizing 4 cores instead of 8 of the ISN S8. Is a much more transparent resolving cable in comparison. The benefit for the ISN S4 is as follows on the Neo5

-Better clarity, less warm sounding vs the S8, noticed for vocals especially male vocals.
-Better enhancement for technicalities, sound separation, imaging and details.
-Slightly better enhanced stage perception due to better clarity.
-Tighter percieved bass vs the S8, which helps with better mids clarity.
-Cleaner treble notes.

Are these aspects worth the extra $10? Like I said. It is a no brianer. Makes the Neo 5 sound a bit higher end vs what you will hear using the ISN S8.
I like the quality of the S8. I hope ISN/Penon will give early purchasers of the NEO 5 a discount on the S4 the next time they order from Penon's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back