ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jul 29, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #4,636 of 5,088
Good to hear. Mine should arrive on Monday.
Really opens up the NEO 5. @Dsnuts is right. The NEO really likes pure silver cables. No brainer upgrade for $10.

My package got to me in 1 week. Another fast shipping/delivery from Penon. :thumbsup:

Jul 30, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #4,637 of 5,088
Really opens up the NEO 5. @Dsnuts is right. The NEO really likes pure silver cables. No brainer upgrade for $10.

My package got to me in 1 week. Another fast shipping/delivery from Penon. :thumbsup:
I trust @Dsnuts judgement as well, I'm sure it's gonna be a nice upgrade to the stock cable

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #4,638 of 5,088

Attachments

• 20230729_090744.jpg
    20230729_090744.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 1, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #4,639 of 5,088
An exciting new cable!
364635134_1915217278858530_1851404785703953179_n.jpg

ISN Audio CSO2

• Model: CSO2
  • Copper silver alloy + OFC IEM cable
  • 2 shares, single share is 20 cores, a total of 2 × 20
  • Single core copper silver alloy diameter is 0.08mm
  • Single core OFC diameter is 0.06mm
  • PVC skin,Brass material plug and splitter
  • MMCX/2Pin 0.78mm connector
  • 3.5mm audio/2.5mm/4.4mm balanced Rhodium-plated plug
  • Cable length: 1.2M

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #4,641 of 5,088
Aug 2, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4,643 of 5,088
A cross post with the Penon thread. My take on the new ISN CSO2 cables.

1690994196072.png

The new ISN CSO2 cable is the newest cable among a very nice library of cables ISN offers on the Penon web site. The new CSO2 as per the namesake is utilizing a newer alloy silver plating on copper mixed with OFC or oxygen free copper possibly braided for each share. 20 shares make up for each core of the cables with 2 cores. Onyx black PVC, brass connectors and splitter with a Rhodium plated plug.

This new cable certainly looks nice. The 2 cores of 20 shares makes up the cable to be lighter and thinner than a lot of the Penon cables. For folks that own the more recent ISN C2, H2 and or S2 cables will have a good idea of their thickness and pliability. The finish for the CSO2 is actually softer and more flexible than the ISN H2,S2,C2 cables. No ear guides needed on this one. These drape over the ears just fine.
1690994249702.png

Love the brass fittings/ hardware for the CSO2, slick looking cable with its shiny black PVC with what looks like gold flakes for the finish. The Rhodium plated plug seems to be something new for Penon, unlike the prior ISN C2 and its brothers, this one uses a permanent plug and it will be the plugs here that makes a difference for this cable vs similar offerings.

Sound.
Since the recent Penon IEMs the 10th Anniversary and the Turbo are both offered with the old CS819 cable. I am basing the sound differences between the two cables.

What immediately stood out for me when switching from the CS819 is that the CSO2 seems to be more efficient. Reason why I say this is that the volume jumps up a touch from the CS819. I don't have a multimeter but I have a feeling that is what's happening. I am comparing both cables with 4.4mm balanced out of my Fiio M15. My most neutral player.

Thus far the effects of the SCO2 are as follows.

-slightly enhances stage in both width and depth.
-increases the atmosphere of a live set recording due to the expansion of stage.
-makes treble performance sound a touch more airy, crispier and a touch more detailed.
-better transparency of sound.
-Slight skew toward trebles and bass at the same time. ( combination of coppers and silver alloy)
-slight treble skew enhances stringed instruments, female vocals.
-supports a healthy mids to bass performance. Two copper types.
-bass gets a full impact and is supportive of its rumble. No lessening of bass aspects.
1690994278825.png

In comparison to the bass cables.

Bass cables are exactly what they are named for; they enhance the low notes to a degree that is clearly noticeable and what's interesting here is that the bass cables make up is very close to the new CSO2 cables.
In comparison, the CSO2 is a much more balanced cable vs the bass. You don't realize just how much the bass cable influences and focuses on the bass end of a sound until you compare it to another cable like the CSO2. In comparison the CSO2 has more balanced tonal qualities and has a bit more emphasis for trebles and mids of an IEM vs the trebles and mids for the bass cables. It also seems to have a bit more in the lower mids vs the clear V enhancing Bass. The less emphasis for trebles and mids compared to the CSO2 make the bass cables focus directly on its rumble and punchy character. If you thought the Bass cable was not as balanced as you would have liked, that is exactly what the new CSO2 cable will be and does better. But if bass emphasis is exactly what you're looking for the Bass cables are engineered for the lower presence to shine.
1690994310603.png

Compared to the CS819 cable that now comes with the 10th and the Turbo. The CSO2 brings more focus on lower harmonics with an increase in definition overall makes the 10th anniversary sounds more weighty and more dynamic at the same time vs the more neutral leaning tonal quality of the CS819 in comparison. The SCO2 shows a better contrast for your music vs the CS819 with better macro detail for its mids presence and a touch more micro ability for trebles. The CS819 sounds a bit more smoothed out with not much going on for it to enhance a technical ability like the CSO2. CS819 makes for a good, included cable as it will not skew the sound to be emphasized in one region over another but more a neutral copper take on the sound. The CSO2s ability is definitely a higher end cable in comparison, and I was able to get the enhancements of what it does just by comparing them to the CS819. This being said. I would like to see a 4 cored version of the CSO2.
1690994347888.png

Cus what's good now will be better with more material is my thought. A bit like the Space cable vs the OS133. Overall, the SCO2 is yet another addition to the ever-growing line of cables from Penon and ISN. This one shows good properties of both copper and silver but the interesting aspect of this is that it is using a Rhodium plated plug that seems to give a slight elevation for transparency and detail which shows in how clean the tonal character for the 10th and the Turbo becomes using the SCO2. Especially noticed for the treble regions. Music sounds natural with a cleaner warmth without over exaggerating any parts of the sound. It is a balanced cable meaning it will be versatile to use on just about anything and being the first ever ISN all shiny black cable will match up with your goth/ dark side sensibilities.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #4,645 of 5,088
The S4 is a very nice cable. Good upgrade from S8, especially for $10 when bought with Neo 5.

S8 is great as a stock cable too. I'm using it on another IEM.

I received my S4 yesterday and worth a try with Neo5, @Penon gave to NEO5 a great price to upgrade S8.
IMHO S4 is the right cable for NEO5 and cost nothing!
@Dsnuts spot on!

IMG_7372.jpeg

IMG_7373.jpeg
IMG_7374.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #4,646 of 5,088
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #4,647 of 5,088
Big thanks to @F700 for these beautiful and pristine EST50s, they're so good :)

EST50_7N_CRYO_SP_OCC25.jpg

May as well make a balanced cable to go with it too while I'm at it :relaxed:

EST50_7N_CRYO_C_UPOCC25.jpg
Love so much EST50 with Penon Vocal cable and iBasso DX320X, wich cable did you chose for your beautiful EST50?

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #4,649 of 5,088
Love so much EST50 with Penon Vocal cable and iBasso DX320X, wich cable did you chose for your beautiful EST50?
Out of the two pictured I tend to use the copper variant more but that's only because it's 4.4mm. I should have made the silver plated one 4.4mm as well but will do that once I order more wire.

This and the DX240 sound superb, everything else is just gathering dust these days :relaxed:

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #4,650 of 5,088

HAKUGEI Wisteria Fairy or the S4 for the Neo ?​

I like both with NEO5 but i'll compare them later when i'm at home but based on price/performance ratio i'd chose S4 because Penon gave to NEO5 owners a great price, plus it's softer than Hakugei.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back