ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #4,651 of 5,157
Out of the two pictured I tend to use the copper variant more but that's only because it's 4.4mm. I should have made the silver plated one 4.4mm as well but will do that once I order more wire.

This and the DX240 sound superb, everything else is just gathering dust these days :relaxed:
So do you agree with me when i told you EST50 has a great matching with iBasso ?

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #4,653 of 5,157
I received my S4 yesterday and worth a try with Neo5, @Penon gave to NEO5 a great price to upgrade S8.
IMHO S4 is the right cable for NEO5 and cost nothing!
@Dsnuts spot on!

Took a quick pic of ISN's very affordable, quality cables.

ISN Cables.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #4,655 of 5,157
Got the 10usd cable offering for ISN Neo 5, since stock cable was not the best. This is better, ordered the new tips also from Penon.
Since its Penon stuff its testing with Penon Tail dongle instead of my DAPs :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #4,656 of 5,157
Got the 10usd cable offering for ISN Neo 5, since stock cable was trash. This is better, ordered the new tips also from Penon.
Since its Penon stuff its testing with Penon Tail dongle instead of my DAPs :beyersmile:

I don't think the S8 is trash. It just doesn't synergize with NEO 5 as well as S4 does. S8 is a very nice stock cable at the NEO 5's price point in my opinion.

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #4,657 of 5,157
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #4,658 of 5,157
I don't think the S8 is trash. It just doesn't synergize with NEO 5 as well as S4 does. S8 is a very nice stock cable at the NEO 5's price point in my opinion.
Trash is harsh word by me, will edit it kinder.
It just make most IEMs sound thin when compared to other SPC cables I have, the hardware make it look nice and premium.

@Bosk wrote an epic cable shootout/review/comparisons article and he gave the ISN S8 the best ergonomics/comfort award.

https://soundlymusical.com/2023/08/03/2023-cable-shootout/5/

Great read @Bosk. Very well done, especially your DIY section.
Read it. Nice article and nice cables, have a few of them. Nice to see the Vocal cable with award from @Bosk, just wish they could re-release it with neutral design or sleeved in fabric.

I mostly agree on the comfort, its flexible and light. I get ear pain around the ear on most thin braids like S4, happens more often on some cables that are tighter braided with the 2 wires on each each ear. For some reason the S8 and is S4 is very similar on comfort with a slight win too s8.

DSCF3191.jpg

For example the cable to the right here is around same weight and more comfortable due to looser braid that's also slightly thicker per wire.

1691301261271.png

The Penon Mix is also great on comfort similar to the Silver I posted above.

1691301487884.png

But if should give award for comfortable cable, the XINHS and NiceHCK 16 core is one of the softest and most comofortable types I have tried.

1691301574490.png

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #4,659 of 5,157
News Flash:
Penon is changing out the S8 included cable with the ISN Neo 5 for the S4. When I did my ISN Neo 5 review I tried all kinds of cables. But.......last night a 2Pin S4 arrived in the mail. Previously I only had MMCX of the S4, and the adapters were only allowing me to add 2Pin to an MMCX plug.

Long story short really there is a big difference to the S4 with the Neo 5. This was something that probably should have been included at the start, but better late than never. Rome wasn't built in a day and everyone is learning at some point. I mean KZ has probably come out with three or four new models of earphones since ISN released the Neo 5 with the S8. Instead of making more and more earphones, they are perfecting what they sell.

While I did try a bunch of cables with the Neo 5, some folks may have less choices right from the get go. Or if they have choices, then possibly they still don't have a cable like the S4. To tell you the truth, the S4 is a enigmatic cable despite its retail price, and despite now being included with the new ISN Neo 5.

Results:

So I have a long history of using the S8, in fact it was one of the main cables I used during my ISN EST50 review last year. And while very even and natural, it's really not offering the stage of the S4. Some already know this from experience, of having on hand already the S4 and S8 cables. But to kind of add a little power to this conversation. The S4 opens-up the Neo 5. It makes the Neo 5 live up to its potential as an earphone. Of course if you already have the Neo 5 then there is a good chance it came with the S8 cable. Getting the update is really really important as not only is the stage bigger, but there is more detail inside the imaging. The Neo 5 is actually way more complex than I first gave it credit for. I will be the very first person to tell you that after my review is all finished and posted on Head-Fi, there is still a learning process which takes place as I interface continuously with the IEM in question. Reviews are a liquid thing, even though we look at them as final and offering all there is to know about a particular IEM.

First off the S4 bass with the Neo 5 is more elaborate coming from a slightly more refined area. Such a placement throws out any furry baggage, offering almost a style of simple clarity and positioning that wasn't possible with the S8. I didn't know this in my review? I didn't have the S4 at the time.

The midrange is now expanded into a new stage getting better separation and enhanced involvement. Vocals hold a slightly more forward stance which while the S8 vocals were not bad, it is not arguable that this way is better. Vocals are more upfront and alive, holding more life? Sorry I know of no other way to describe them?

The new S4 treble is simply better elevated. But what comes along with that elevation is harmonics, enhanced areas that were most likely sitting there almost submerged there waiting to be brought into focus.

The total end-results are more clarity and naturalness with added involvement due to such gifts. Quite simply the stage (mainly) is of a different IEM than the S8/Neo 5.

DSC_0052.jpege.jpeg

The new Neo 5 with S4 additive!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #4,660 of 5,157
News Flash:
Penon is changing out the S8 included cable with the ISN Neo 5 for the S4. When I did my ISN Neo 5 review I tried all kinds of cables. But.......last night a 2Pin S4 arrived in the mail. Previously I only had MMCX of the S4, and the adapters were only allowing me to add 2Pin to an MMCX plug.

Long story short really there is a big difference to the S4 with the Neo 5. This was something that probably should have been included at the start, but better late than never. Rome wasn't built in a day and everyone is learning at some point. I mean KZ has probably come out with three or four new models of earphones since ISN released the Neo 5 with the S8. Instead of making more and more earphones, they are perfecting what they sell.

While I did try a bunch of cables with the Neo 5, some folks may have less choices right from the get go. Or if they have choices, then possibly they still don't have a cable like the S4. To tell you the truth, the S4 is a enigmatic cable despite its retail price, and despite now being included with the new ISN Neo 5.

Results:

So I have a long history of using the S8, in fact it was one of the main cables I used during my ISN EST50 review last year. And while very even and natural, it's really not offering the stage of the S4. Some already know this from experience, of having on hand already the S4 and S8 cables. But to kind of add a little power to this conversation. The S4 opens-up the Neo 5. It makes the Neo 5 live up to it's potential as an earphone. Of course if you already have the Neo 5 then there is a good chance it came with the S4 cable. Getting the update is really really important as not only is the stage bigger, but there is more detail inside the imaging. The Neo 5 is actually way more complex than I first gave it credit for. I will be the very first person to tell you that after my review is all finished and posted on Head-Fi, there is still a learning process which takes place as I interface continuously with the IEM in question. Reviews are a liquid thing, even though we look at them as final and offering all there is to know about a particular IEM.

First off the S4 bass with the Neo 5 is more elaborate coming from a slightly more refined area. Such a placement throws out any furry baggage, offering almost a style of simple clarity and positioning that wasn't possible with the S8. I didn't know this in my review? I didn't have the S4 at the time.

The midrange is now expanded into a new stage getting better separation and enhanced involvement. Vocals hold a slightly more forward stance which while the S8 vocals were not bad, it is not arguable that this way is better. Vocals are more upfront and alive, holding more life? Sorry I know of no other way to describe them?

The new S4 treble is simply better elevated. But what comes along with that elevation is harmonics, enhanced areas that were most likely sitting there almost submerged there waiting to be brought into focus.

The total end-results are more clarity and naturalness with added involvement due to such gifts. Quite simply the stage (mainly) is of a different IEM than the S8/Neo 5.

DSC_0052.jpege.jpeg

Cheers!
Total agreement with you I really like S4 with Neo5 and Aroma Air dac amp close the circle ⭕
A Fantastic portable rig I’ll enjoy during my holydays 🤩

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #4,661 of 5,157
TURBO POWER
So the Penon TURBO arrived last night at sunset. It's interesting because my main player has been the 10th Anniversary Universal IEM, staying about a foot away always. Both are priced exactly the same, yet they are different beasts. Where the TURBO is way smaller, it has a smaller nozzle too. All the planets aligned when the 10th came about, my favorite ear-tips fit like they were made for the 10th......................oh.............and the way the 10th fits is like it was custom made for me. Literally the way they are slightly large seemed to even add ergonomics, if you can believe that? Though concerning the TURBO, of course it fits fine............I'm going through missing the 10th? :joy:

Sounds:
The 10th has a both a warm and wooly personality, like a friendly dog. Actually a big dog, who pounces around and goes where it wants with authority. So far the 10th is my most favorite Penon of the 14 I have heard, I missed three productions. So where does the TURBO sit? It's faster that's for sure. The bass while thick, gets in and out...............not lingering or anything. The transients are faster all about, and somehow maybe the vocals are slightly more involved than the 10th?

Backwards.....
I am flowing backwards maybe, in comparison to many hearing an IEM anew? Reason being is I start cable rolling right away, even before burn-in is done. Remember there are circuits and wires inside the TURBO that need seasoning. But I am rolling cables to get closer to understanding the IEM. Not using cables always to understand cables. Why? I simply have more time with my cable friends and know how they act. So hearing an old known cable going into a new IEM helps understand the IEMs character, and the extremes held with-in that character.

TURBO and Penon OSG:
Wow, that's what I have to say. I mean I spent the good part of the day with the included CS819 cable, but to let loose.............the OSG went into action. And of course the stage became bigger and deeper..................pulling on that black background, newly offered. Actually it was perfect!

Next up The Penon TOTEM:
Well the naturalness of this event could not have been even imagined. Bigger than the OSG, effortless isn't even the word, water would be a better word to try and describe the effect? Yep, water is flowing and taking the sound to the final level. The floodgates are all open and the music is flowing freely, we are very close to the source it seems? This is the TURBO in its final form......and I haven't even got to the switches yet?

Remember the TOTEM will have issues with DDs, even pulling the life out of the lows of them, at times. The TOTEM synergy is basically a one by one IEM thing. But not here no, this is what Head-Fi is all about it seems. There is a feeling of something behind me and it's not chills......it's this feeling of air.....air all over the place......openness. And the thing is this all BA example is one we have been waiting a long long time for from Penon, in this configuration. All BAs and the TOTEM, this doesn't even take thought to come up with this combo, it is the end of the road..........finality. I'm now hearing this bass detail that is taking place like two bass players when I always thought there was only one. And the bass, not really that heavy at all, it's just smooth textured and real. I'm using the Walkman WM1A with MrWalkmans firmware.

I was going to included more cable tests, but I'm all done here? I may have a new love in my life, the TOTEM was never ever like this with the 10th? Truly shocking this combo is?

DSC_0010.jpege.jpeg

DSC_0038.jpegw copy.jpeg

DSC_0068.jpege.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #4,662 of 5,157
News Flash:

Results:

So I have a long history of using the S8, in fact it was one of the main cables I used during my ISN EST50 review last year. And while very even and natural, it's really not offering the stage of the S4. Some already know this from experience, of having on hand already the S4 and S8 cables. But to kind of add a little power to this conversation. The S4 opens-up the Neo 5. It makes the Neo 5 live up to its potential as an earphone. Of course if you already have the Neo 5 then there is a good chance it came with the S8 cable. Getting the update is really really important as not only is the stage bigger, but there is more detail inside the imaging. The Neo 5 is actually way more complex than I first gave it credit for. I will be the very first person to tell you that after my review is all finished and posted on Head-Fi, there is still a learning process which takes place as I interface continuously with the IEM in question. Reviews are a liquid thing, even though we look at them as final and offering all there is to know about a particular IEM.

DSC_0052.jpege.jpeg

Cheers!
I will have mine soon, can't wait really 😊
At this point I don't have any other 2pin cable except for Zetian Wu's stock cable, Purple SE and some graphene cable from IvipQ
I guess it will make a difference after all. I do like Penon/ISN cables but I have some in MMCX

Aug 10, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #4,663 of 5,157
News Flash:

Results:

DSC_0052.jpege.jpeg

Cheers!
Any comparison with h50 (that I didn't like)

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #4,664 of 5,157
Any comparison with h50 (that I didn't like)
The Neo 5 with S4 is more open and has a better stage, the H50 you always have to take control of the upper midrange brightness meaning with an example like the Penon Vocal Cable it's too bright for my tastes and needs anchoring into the bass. Where a cable like the Penon Vocal doesn't accentuate the lows enough, in fact it takes (away) the ISN H50 critical sub-lows. Where the Vocal cable works with the Neo 5. But no I haven't actually sat down and compared directly the Neo 5 with the new S4 cable and the H50 with the included cable.......that would be fun to do, when I get some time. From memory though the Neo 5 is incredibly different. Where the H50 has a more trim low end, with faster pace, with forward mids.....and that's why I fell in love with it, before I found out all the cable creativity with the ISN EST50. And the Neo 5 does actually have nice midrange, combined with a more heavy lower midrange emphasis which is a big departure for ISN. Also the Neo 5 6 kHz peak is normally a recess with all ISNs, including the H50. But even with the S4 cable your going to find the Neo 5 with more emphasis in the bass department. Why didn't you like the H50?

0BBD208B-3102-4641-A87E-C086C86F1FBE.jpeg

See the H50 graph doesn’t have the presence 6 kHz peak like the Neo 5 has, for one. It’s a totally new way of doing a tune/graph, and only works with enough bass presence to balance it out.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #4,665 of 5,157
NEO 5's stock cable is now the S4, and you don't need to pay $10 extra for it. Good decision by Penon/ISN.

Also, new code for NEO 5 is out, for those that signed up for their emails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back