ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #4,576 of 5,088
@narayansree

Sure,
The first thing you notice is how the ISN SC4 and ISN GC4 share a look, being able to find them easy. The Neo 5 is also one-of-a-kind being purple and all. I mean I don't have any IEMs that remotely look like the see-through Neo 5. So choosing them was easy among the stuff.............

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-gc4.24454/reviews#review-30860

The only reason a made a small reference to the ISN GC4 is due to their shared looks, sound-wise the SC4 has silver replaced for the GC4's gold, which results in a better SC4 synergy with the Neo 5. Really the SC4 is the cat's meow with the Neo 5. Using the wide-bore silicone ear-tips and Sony WM1Z with MrWalkmans firmware. I actually had to try the GC4 at this moment as I wanted to learn the differences (in comparison to the SC4) with the Neo 5. Also playing both cables back-to-back kind-of created a contrast to further understand and appreciate just what special qualities the SC4 had/has.

In so many ways the ISN SC4 is the perfect cable for the Neo 5. Why. The silver kind-of spreads out the stage, creating warm yet broad and clear imaging. There is no sense of any sibilance at all, and the SC4 shows a more proper position against brightness than say the Penon Mix (which I will try out also). I mean some may want a different playback than we have but I would guess this to be the outliers? Here we are maximizing the natural qualities of the Neo 5 and not changing the tone that much, but bringing better stage and wider view of instruments that the included $32.50 S8.

Really I can't get over this combo. Vocals are what they are with the Neo 5 which is slightly forward yet of course not in a vocal centric style. But I have to say hearing the way the vocals are placed at this moment is perfect......I'm hearing subtle fall-offs of reverbs and accents to total correct placement. 100%

The bass is actually slightly controlled from what I remember and way less round and authoritative than the ISN GC4. I mean really this is my style of tune, while the lower midrange still has that slight boost in thickness and not totally the most detail, it's musical and not distracting in any fashion.

The rhythm aspects are not forward or overly bright, and the vocals approach at the perfect specific style and attitude. The stage is gifted with these warm yangqin dulcimer hits! Such instrumentation finds home in being both in correct placement inside the mix, but also showing a fullness and density that makes you realize that the ISN SC4 is a very correct choice in this situation. :)

https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-sc4.html
Edit:
Actually I pulled out the Penon Mix too, and threw it into the mix. I mean I was curious as to how it would play off the other three cables today. And while nice the treble accentuation was noticeable, bringing an even more controlled lower midrange and bass, being forward even more with the vocals.......being a judgment call if this is your cup of tea of not? Really nothing wrong with it, but not quite as warm and inviting as the SC4 naturally is, a more separated and father out playback that shows more room between instruments and vocals. There is nothing wrong really with Mix playback, though a slight bit of soul has been removed from what the ISN S8 and ISN SC4 do, offering a more slightly clinical yet giant style of playback, which is more focused into the treble and midrange. In many ways I can adapt to this, but it would take a little longer? Yet it is entertaining none the less. Maybe perfect for some, as the Neo 5 has the ability to go here without any brittleness (maybe) or real harshness. :) Bass is now very controlled and positioned?

Thank-You so much for the beautiful and detailed write-up. It is always a pleasure to read your impressions. It is going to help me a lot in making the choice. I think I am leaning heavily towards the SC4 cable pairing with NEO 5. Your described attributes are what I am looking for, as I am not into clinical playbacks. Don't like uncontrolled bass. I like my music slightly warm, musical and fun to hear. I am also too new in this hobby to appreciate the very subtle and nuanced aspects of a clinical playback. I am going to use a Chord Mojo 2 as a DAC to play music streaming from my phone majorly, for your context in the next opinion I am going to ask, pardon me.

In your review of NEO 5 you were heavily impressed by this ISN G8 cable or I think you meant the ISN G4 cable (It was graphene) . If you had to choose between SC4 and that graphene cable, which would you choose?

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #4,577 of 5,088
Been looking for a more bassy and engaging sound to contrast with my Softears Studio4 which I love for its neutrality and details. Been really interested in either the Neo 5 or the Serial since I've been hearing great things about both. For genres like rock, deep house and lo/chill-fi, metal, I'm wondering which will give me a more exciting but not overwhelming experience between the Neo 5 and Serial. If anyone can weigh in or offer just general comparisons between the two I would be ever grateful :)
Based on those particular genres you mentioned I'd have to recommend the Serial as I find it superb for rock/metal/acoustic and equally adept at anything else I throw at it. It's just a great all-rounder and with that all DD timbre it's hard not to love its sound.

That said, the Neo 5 is no slouch either but personally I tend to use it for everything other than rock/metal with its extra clarity and mid bass but perhaps this choice is a by-product of owning both.

I guess you can't go wrong with either but if I had to chose one based on my tastes it would be the Serial.

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #4,578 of 5,088
there is no music genre that can be enjoyed without any sub-bass. we respect ourselves so much that at least we don't lie to ourselves like that

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20230710104746954_COVER-picsay.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20230710104746954_COVER-picsay.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 10, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #4,579 of 5,088
there is no music genre that can be enjoyed without any sub-bass. we respect ourselves so much that at least we don't lie to ourselves like that
Otherwise ootb i like the overall timbre, very musical and fun. The trebles are fatigue free, surprisingly good ba highs. Great vocals, the fit is perfect for me ( important ), the look is very cool :) .........

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #4,580 of 5,088
Thank-You so much for the beautiful and detailed write-up. It is always a pleasure to read your impressions. It is going to help me a lot in making the choice. I think I am leaning heavily towards the SC4 cable pairing with NEO 5. Your described attributes are what I am looking for, as I am not into clinical playbacks. Don't like uncontrolled bass. I like my music slightly warm, musical and fun to hear. I am also too new in this hobby to appreciate the very subtle and nuanced aspects of a clinical playback. I am going to use a Chord Mojo 2 as a DAC to play music streaming from my phone majorly, for your context in the next opinion I am going to ask, pardon me.

In your review of NEO 5 you were heavily impressed by this ISN G8 cable or I think you meant the ISN G4 cable (It was graphene) . If you had to choose between SC4 and that graphene cable, which would you choose?
Did I write ISN G8 at one point? Yes, I may have (just fixed the review). Anyway now that that is figured-out and clear. You knew I meant ISN G4 by the two pictures.

Here is the thing. It’s a toss-up possibly which is better with the Neo 5. The Graphene ISN G4 is a cable that gets a tremendous amount of different uses, probably in my use more uses than the SC4? The midrange is both expanded and in a way separated by the Graphene. Such a power is totally great with the midrange abilities of the Neo 5. Now it’s not just me but a few find the ISN G4 too trebley for the ISN H50? It is just that everyone has a threshold as to how much of a mid boost they can listen to. The reason I loved the Neo 5 and the ISN G4 is the same reason I really like the G4 with the KZ ZS10 Pro X. Except with the KZ it’s really fixing some issues where with the ISN Neo 5 it is simply showing you a slightly different flavor of correct. The KZ is in need of the midrange brightness and the separation at hand with the ISN G4. Same as if you read my review about the Neo 5.....I’m smitten with the expanding elements and slight brightness (and thickness) the G4 gives. But it’s funny as Graphene is a different style of brightness than silver, graphene is smoother and isn’t as hot. It’s also warmer in a way, so it is a boost in imaging and a level up in brightness, but of a certain character. The SC4 is going to offer a smooth style too with use with the Neo 5, only because it’s enhancing what the Neo 5 already is. Not as bright as the Penon Mix that has a pure silver additive. Remember the SC4 is a silver plated copper cable that will clean-up the lows, except it really doesn’t make the Neo 5 bright only better separated, and a wider stage, still allowing more mids but probably in a slightly different way than the G4. Sorry I can’t choose which one I like better with the Neo 5, maybe Dsnuts can help? The way I hear them is both add brightness but the G4 offers Graphene sounding tone and the SC4 offers a subdued silver (sounding) tone yet not in anyway as bright as pure silver. Hope this makes sense?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #4,581 of 5,088

I’m going to do a cable test tomorrow with the ISN SC4 against the ISN G4. And of course I will use the Neo 5 as the test subject! The crazy part is the two cables are very different size wise. Where the G4 is giant and the SC4 is thin! That makes a personal value call. As some folks gravitate towards thin cables, then others gravitate towards thicker cables. They (the thicker ones) can even psychologically fake you out, sounding better than they are, due to how your perceive them.

But the Penon Mix is maybe slightly too much, though I like it, there is a subtle brittleness (in the midrange) with the Neo 5. That was what I heard, but also the lows were slightly missing also with the Neo 5. The stage was nice, except really I liked the SC4 and G4 experience better with the Neo 5, but that’s just me?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #4,582 of 5,088
@Redcarmoose You are absolutely spot on! The pictures you had put up in your review helped me identify that cable as I matched them closely on penon website after I couldn't find the ISN G8 😀
By your description I am getting keen to hear that graphene sound/tonality (which I have not had the pleasure to hear yet). Considering I like a very balanced playback with tight controlled fast bass never overpowering or all over the place, mid forward and trebles that are smooth and airy but never that fatigue the ear, this description of (thick)brightness, warmish sound, expanding elements, enhanced mids stirs up my imagination and curiosity even further. As much I can understand from your description it might be that I'd like G4 better than the SC4, but they seem to be close in your choice of preference. And so I have almost made up my mind. Actually I had ordered the NEO 5 just before your review had been posted. And I had read at some places that the bass on these IEMs gets a bit overwhelming and could be tad bit reigned in and a bit faster paced. So, I asked at Penon to suggest me a cable to resolve this issue because this was indeed a critical issue for my listening tastes. They suggested me the SC4. After I received the IEM and a 50 hour burn in the cable did sound way better than the stock S8. But after I read your review I was thoroughly confused as to I did not make the perfect choice. So, I am still in touch with the Penon guys and have put them on hold that I am going to put this question here on Head-fi for much better trained ears to judge this for me and help me decide whether I should send the cable back for an exchange with G4 for which they are most graciously agreeable.
Now Maybe I won't, as they seem to be quite close. But, now to my delight you have chosen to directly compare the cables with the NEO 5 being the test subject I am sure my dilemma will be solved.
Thankyou again. This is a perfectionist's hobby, that much I have learnt in my small time enjoying it.

Much Regards !

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #4,583 of 5,088
@Redcarmoose You are absolutely spot on! The pictures you had put up in your review helped me identify that cable as I matched them closely on penon website after I couldn't find the ISN G8 😀
By your description I am getting keen to hear that graphene sound/tonality (which I have not had the pleasure to hear yet). Considering I like a very balanced playback with tight controlled fast bass never overpowering or all over the place, mid forward and trebles that are smooth and airy but never that fatigue the ear, this description of (thick)brightness, warmish sound, expanding elements, enhanced mids stirs up my imagination and curiosity even further. As much I can understand from your description it might be that I'd like G4 better than the SC4, but they seem to be close in your choice of preference. And so I have almost made up my mind. Actually I had ordered the NEO 5 just before your review had been posted. And I had read at some places that the bass on these IEMs gets a bit overwhelming and could be tad bit reigned in and a bit faster paced. So, I asked at Penon to suggest me a cable to resolve this issue because this was indeed a critical issue for my listening tastes. They suggested me the SC4. After I received the IEM and a 50 hour burn in the cable did sound way better than the stock S8. But after I read your review I was thoroughly confused as to I did not make the perfect choice. So, I am still in touch with the Penon guys and have put them on hold that I am going to put this question here on Head-fi for much better trained ears to judge this for me and help me decide whether I should send the cable back for an exchange with G4 for which they are most graciously agreeable.
Now Maybe I won't, as they seem to be quite close. But, now to my delight you have chosen to directly compare the cables with the NEO 5 being the test subject I am sure my dilemma will be solved.
Thankyou again. This is a perfectionist's hobby, that much I have learnt in my small time enjoying it.

Much Regards !
That’s interesting that they suggested the SC4? I’m going to play the Neo 5 with the G4 and SC4 today and so more listening.

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #4,584 of 5,088

Much Regards !
Well, playing both the ISN SC4 and the ISN G4 with the Neo 5 back to back, did what from memory was what I said. The SC4 offering a little more detail, except the sheer size of the imaging and stature of the ISN G4 was entertaining. There was slightly more confusion inside of the midrange where the ISN SC4 was more prim and proper. Both were fantastic yet I may just choose the size over what the SC4 does? Both tailored the bass to align them to witness better mids, and treble that while different, it is safe to say the Graphene has the Graphene personality and the copper/silver had more of an old-school style of personality. This Graphene stuff is real, and adds a personality.......warmer and bigger and just possibly better mids, depending on your taste?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #4,586 of 5,088
The Neo's stock cable is the worst i ever tried in every way. Unbelievable.
Not really, you would be surprised at trying it against other IEMs stock cables. The ISN S8 looks and feels better than most included stock cables, also it leaves the signature alone never changing it much. Though if you want more midrange details and forwardness there are choices of cables.

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #4,587 of 5,088
The Neo's stock cable is the worst i ever tried in every way. Unbelievable.
ROFL what a ridiculous comment.

The S8 is one of the best, if not the best stock cables, especially in this price range.

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #4,588 of 5,088
I've been using Neo 5 w/ G4 cable for a good while now, running off the Tail. The combo is just ridiculous......

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #4,589 of 5,088
Not really, you would be surprised at trying it against other IEMs stock cables. The ISN S8 looks and feels better than most included stock cables, also it leaves the signature alone never changing it much. Though if you want more midrange details and forwardness there are choices of
All my earphones play at half volume with that . Dull and a bit distorted. I'm a little bored that you're everywhere and you want to sell Penon cables to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back